RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Lifepo4 float setting?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Lifepo4 float setting?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

I would just turn off float if it was possible...But not being possible,
My controller allows, if I remember correctly, a minimum setting of one minute. That shouldn't hurt anything. What are you doing with absorb?

Tried youtube for these unknown batteries?

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does the battery ever get full while running that load, even during the day? Float is for after the batt gets full, so it ought to depend how full it gets and how early before dark.

The solar would have to be supplying all the load's amps to allow the LFP to also get some amps so it can get to full. You then have a time it stays at 14.6 or whatever--is that too long before dark so you need to drop to float before the voltage drops anyway in the dark?

Brain not working--but if the batt is full and the solar is doing it all, is the loaded voltage 14.6 or is it lower from the load? Is the loaded voltage already low enough to count as low enough for no harm done? As said brain not working--probably stupid thought [emoticon]

I see the PWM vs MPPT in the OP is not about that as such, but is about what settings the controller has, whatever type it is.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

jaycocreek wrote:

I would just turn off float if it was possible...But not being possible,
My controller allows, if I remember correctly, a minimum setting of one minute. That shouldn't hurt anything. Tried youtube for these unknown batteries?

The unknown battery is a Enjoybot 100ah which I should have stated..Will P says there a clone of the Amperetime and Zooms but there not having different brand cells(Gotion)...There's not many video's on them other than tear downs but nothing about settings..

I just assume the Victron 75/15 will not allow the float to be off from what I have read..I guess I will find out tomorrow.

Since I decided to use a LFP as a house battery in my TC,it was time to upgrade the controller and ad another rigid panel to the roof for 200 watts fixed and 200 portable for my other LFP batteries.

One never knows unless he asks the question.

Lifepo4-380ah/Lithium NMC-140ah/Solar-400 watts/Wagan & Giandel PSW/Engel & Iceco 3-1 compressor fridge freezer/5K Window AC/Honda 2K

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, How often are you charging full, what voltage?

12v 500ah (5,120Wh usable), 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,000+ cycles.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itinerant1 wrote:

OP, How often are you charging full, what voltage?

I rarely let the Renogy controllers charge to full(Don't trust them lol) but I use my LFP 14.4 or my Noco charger to charge to full maybe once a month..The expert power charger charges at just below 20 amps via the shunt..The Noco does 10 amps..

I ordered the Victron controller because I don't trust the $20 controllers unless I am watching and monitoring them all the time,which I have been..

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13

I do not let the cheap PWM controllers charge above 13.9 volts,if it is a good day of sunshine I have just disconnected the panel via a anderson connection but usually,I just lower the boost to 13.5 or so..

The main reason for my controller upgrade so I don't have to monitor it all the time..That's just me and my opinion on $15-$25 dollar controllers..Im sure they work just fine charging to 14.4 but I personally don't trust them to do that,unattended.[emoticon]

I have had LFP for a year now and learned a lot but there is a lot I am not sure of yet..

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

I just assume the Victron 75/15 will not allow the float to be off from what I have read..I guess I will find out tomorrow.
Questions on Amazon indicate this controller has Li settings. I would presume, without actually reading the owner's manual, this includes no Absorb phase.

* This post was edited 05/04/22 12:15pm by 2oldman *

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

https://www.solacity.com/how-to-keep-lifepo4-lithium-ion-batteries-happy/

If I had LiFePo4, and wanted MAXIMUM lifespan, I'd charge to 85%, not go lower than 40%, and disable float. If that is not possible, I'd float at 13.2. Unfortunately I can't use LiFePo4

Interesting, your figures give 45% use capacity of LifePo4 batteries. One of the reasons given by many to upgrade is being able to use at least 80% of capacity.
That 45% gives a + to lead acid acid batteries that can be used at -40°. Flack jacket on.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

One of the reasons given by many to upgrade is being able to use at least 80% of capacity. That 45% gives a + to lead acid acid batteries that can be used at -40°.
With me that 80% figure is moot as my solar is always on the job. It would be a rare situation when I'd ever have to go down to 20% capacity. I purchased mine because of the steady voltage they provide and how long they last.. among other reasons. I carry 100 gallons of fuel but I've never used 80 gallons before filling up.

I'm not sure what kind of performance you'd get from a LA battery at -40F.

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

BFL13

I do not let the cheap PWM controllers charge above 13.9 volts,if it is a good day of sunshine I have just disconnected the panel via a anderson connection but usually,I just lower the boost to 13.5 or so..

The main reason for my controller upgrade so I don't have to monitor it all the time..That's just me and my opinion on $15-$25 dollar controllers..Im sure they work just fine charging to 14.4 but I personally don't trust them to do that,unattended.[emoticon]

I have had LFP for a year now and learned a lot but there is a lot I am not sure of yet..

When the end user becomes the manual controller of the charging system instead of just putting in a proper set and forget system sooner or later there will be a time you'll get side tracked with something else and with lfp it doesn't take much time.

Many of folks have gone that route and thought it won't happen till it did.

I beat many future lfp batteries being put into service will die from the end user hen pecking and not "longevity". [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Lifepo4 float setting?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.