RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Renogy Battery Monitor vs Trimetric UPDATE- Camping Test

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Renogy Battery Monitor vs Trimetric UPDATE- Camping Test

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/22 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Spend thousands of dollars on a battery bank--and then get cheap about a monitor for it? Seems odd to me.

who spent thousands and this was one of my first upgrades as there was no monitor in the camper whats so ever. so it was in from when I first got it with the car battery, then worked well for my 2 GC batteries and now it is working accuratly for the LFP cells. all I use it for is a quick reference to capacity at any given moment, and to see curent going to and from the battery, matches my fluke meter to the t. it doesnt controle anything so how about you come down of that mighty horse for a bit.

it is a well made version of the one you recomended and Myself, as well as about 10 or more others, that have installed them on this board can tell you they work great

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/22 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Problem solved on the ‘first go-around’ for only about $130 US on Amazon!!

https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/smart-battery-shunt

FWIW, As my wise ‘ol Father in law (RIP) had once stated, “If you’re gonna by (a widget), you might as well buy one from somebody who knows how to build one”…

Over the years, this sage advice has served me well indeed!

3 tons

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/22 03:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Victron smart sense will monitor the voltage and temp without a controller attached,just the smart phone app,for $39..Kinda cool and inexpensive for Victron compared to others that do the same thing..

Pretty long range also for Bluetooth..way better than the Victron shunt or controller..

Lifepo4-380ah/Lithium NMC-140ah/Solar-400 watts/Wagan & Giandel PSW/Engel & Iceco 3-1 compressor fridge freezer/5K Window AC/Honda 2K

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/22 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got the Renogy 500a monitor installed in the Truck Camper and it does what I wanted it to. [emoticon]

Especially it shows the amps tapering at my setting of constant 14.7 Vabs to where amps taper below 1 amp for my 200AH bank where it is Full according to specs (1/2 an amp per batt). So I know when it is Ok now to drop to spec Float voltage. Got to have a read of both voltage and amps for that episode, and it does it as well as the Trimetric. (I have an adjustable voltage-manually--converter as the charger)

It does show AH going up and down like I want, but not in the same way as the Tri, so I have to get used to that for calculating SOC the way I do it. I don't do it the "proper way" with the Tri either so it is all good for my purposes.

I ignore the right side of the Renogy display which has all useless info for my requirements. (Percent full, Time left, and Watts something or other) I might just put tape over all that, no big deal.

It is very annoying when showing charging by pulsing the lighting bright and dim. So I have it in a closet where I only see it when I want to [emoticon]

The manual is useless on the settings menu for pushing all the buttons.

However Renogy has a short video that is better on how to work the buttons. Google, "Renogy monitor video".

That Renogy video is still not all the way clear (to me anyway), but there are many more videos that come up too on that Google search, which I have not looked at yet. I hope those will help if I need more button pushing lessons for "my application" (as computer button pushers like to talk like [emoticon] ) after I use it for a while.

Bottom line is I got what I wanted for a decent price, so all is good. It seems there is more that it can do than I need it for, but you would have to learn more from those videos I guess.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/22 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you can turn off the led backlight.

not sure why wattage or time left is useless to you, but to each their own.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/22 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still have not figured out the right way to reset the AH counter once I get the batts to known Full. I would like to push whatever buttons and then drop the charger to Float voltage and walk away. The video says hit the Up button?

At the moment, I have the battery picture on the left showing 200AH as Full (but 199 as soon as I drop to Float for some reason).

Not sure how I got that to show 200 after some random button pushing. Anyway after a few up and downs it does hit 200 going up, but I would like to know how to make it do that every time I want it to--namely right after I get the batts to Full.

Thanks for any help.

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/22 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

I still have not figured out the right way to reset the AH counter once I get the batts to known Full. I would like to push whatever buttons and then drop the charger to Float voltage and walk away. The video says hit the Up button?

At the moment, I have the battery picture on the left showing 200AH as Full (but 199 as soon as I drop to Float for some reason).

Not sure how I got that to show 200 after some random button pushing. Anyway after a few up and downs it does hit 200 going up, but I would like to know how to make it do that every time I want it to--namely right after I get the batts to Full.

Thanks for any help.

you hold the ok button down to set parameters. the AH resets once it reaches high voltage, which is adjustable.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/22 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did set capacity as 200AH and voltage as 14.7 and left the other parameters blank for now.

On recharging with the charger set to 14.7, the monitor gets to where it shows the batt reaching 14.6v and amps are down to under 1 amp and the batt picture has risen back to 200AH.

It is not up to 14.7v yet on the monitor (might be set at 14.6 on the charger, hard to tell exactly), but is where the batts are Full by specs. With the Tri, I would now reset the AH counter to Zero and drop the charger to eg 13.4 Float and walk away.

With the Renogy I have no clue (yet) so I just drop the charger to 13.4ish, but no idea if that 200 will be seen again after another down and up.

Is that battery attenuation setting for charging efficiency? Another mystery. That would affect estimated SOC if so.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/22 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went camping off grid in the TC and got to try out the Renogy 500A monitor for real.

To add to previous info in this thread, the AH counter reads from the set capacity (200AH for mine) and goes down showing ever lower AH like 123AH eg. AH comes back up with any charging such as from solar. Voltage shows a bit lower for loaded voltage and higher for when little load and the amps show as plus or minus. It all works great.

The percentage shows along with the AH amount which is just AH left after subtracting what was used from 200. Eg, AH showing 129AH, 12.5 volts, 65%, with 1.85a load.

Happens that resting spec voltage of 12.54v with these batts is 65% so that checks out. 129/200 = 64.5%

I have not got to the stage where I have to consider charging efficiency with these batts, so for now I am ignoring it. It is working "close enough" so far.

I decided I really like this monitor.

EDIT: at home, got it recharging on converter and monitor now says 200AH and 100%, but the batts are still accepting 5.64 amps at 14.6v. they are Truly Full when amps get down to 1 amp (1/2 an amp per 100AH) if I use regular AGM specs for that.

This means the AH restored was not as many as the monitor thinks, by some heat loss amount. Trimetric uses 94% for that on recharging AH count. If "battery attenuation" is the same thing with this Renogy there is a setting for that I can play with---if that is what it is.

Meanwhile I wait till amps get down to 1 amp on the monitor and then dial the converter back to a Float voltage such as 13.4 and the monitor would be set to 200AH/100% except it is already there, so have to see whether it counts down right next cycle.

* This post was edited 05/19/22 05:08pm by BFL13 *

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/22 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi BFL13,

200 amp-hours of what type of battery?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Renogy Battery Monitor vs Trimetric UPDATE- Camping Test
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.