|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> New Jersey to California

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
donkeydew

OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/22 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

highly recommend reservation near the grand canyon and also anywhere on the pch.
be sure your a/c is working because you will need it.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/22 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man, not driving PCH from San Diego on up? What a mistake. Some of the most beautiful ocean views on earth are down there by San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Laguna Beach, Santa Monica, Carlsbad, and the whole stretch from Long Beach to Santa Barbara. And, some great places to stop and eat......We're talking Michelin 4 and 5 star. You won't find places like that in Kansas......

OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/22 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stop in Amarillo and visit the smaller version, but still magnificient, of the Grand Canyon.

Palo Duro Canyon is awesome, and underappreciated. I highly recommend you spend a day or 2 there.

OKC has the National Memorial and I 2nd the visit of it.

While in OKC you would be amazed at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum. The art work is fantastic, there is so much there to see, it deserves far more recognition.

If you run I-40 west from Amarillo, take the very 1st New Mexico exit and stop to fuel up, take a break, eat, whatever, at Russells Truck & Travel Center. Owner has an amazing car and other stuff museum that is absolutely free of charge. I always stop there, restroom break, etc, and wander through it. It's another under-appreciated gem.

If you want to stop in Albuquerque, the National Museum of Nuclear Science & History is amazing, too. It's just off I-40, catty-corner from a Costco. I always stop here too when traveling. You can google it or check out on Youtube.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/22 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are any kind of fan for The Eagles, stop in Winslow AZ and you will see "him" standing on "the" corner. Also the girl driving the flatbed ford, slowin down to take a look. Ask anyone where the "corner" is. Short and fun stop right on route 66 through town.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/22 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made the same trip for the first time in 1969 from Maryland. Everything is brand new. You can't make a mistake and you can't see it all in 40 years. Relax and have a good time.

Diesel John

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/22 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thank you all for your comments.

we really like the sound of the railroad to the canyon.

ill be sure to unpack my patience for the san Diego part....lol

ive been reading other threads and began to wonder if there are any grades out that way i should avoid???

we are in a 28' Four Winds and towing a 10' motorcycle trailer.

i should have mentioned we are bringing two motorcycles with us..

we ride whenever we can.

my wife might fly back once we get up to the northern part of the PCH because i intent to ride Glacier at least a few days in honor of Neil Peart.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/22 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you have a reason to head to Columbus consider doing the 81 to 40 way. There is so much to see it's impossible to do it all. Ever been to the Biltmore House in Asheville? It would be easy to drop down to Asheville from 81 and pick up 40 there. Then you have Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg if you want. Then Nashville and Broadway street and the Hermitage. Oklahoma has a few things to see.

In Amarillo there is the Palo Duro Canyon as mentioned and the Big Texan Steak Ranch. Good steaks. New Mexico has a few things to see. Williams AZ is the town to stay in and DO take the train trip up to the Grand Canyon. The RV park is right there where you get the train and it has a wonderful buffet restaurant for breakfast before you go. We stayed there some years back and it was a great park then. Williams is on route 66 and it has that historical theme.

What I have done in the past is gone online and ordered the travel guides from all the states we were going to pass through. Very helpful to have the hard copy in hand when planning. Is there a return trip planned? Do the northern route back and go see Mt. Rushmore.

Diesel John

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/22 04:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the trip back is even more fluid then the trip out....

im going to ride glacier and ive learned not to try to plan rides on a particular day because weather might not go along with your plans...lol

we have been to Mt Rushmore during previous Sturgis trips so its not really on the radar for this one.

we are going to bring our passports and i would like to drive back through the different providences of Canada...however i carry a handgun on the coach and im not sure how they handle that...

but i guess thats another thread!.....lol

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/22 05:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diesel John wrote:

the trip back is even more fluid then the trip out....

im going to ride glacier and ive learned not to try to plan rides on a particular day because weather might not go along with your plans...lol

we have been to Mt Rushmore during previous Sturgis trips so its not really on the radar for this one.

we are going to bring our passports and i would like to drive back through the different providences of Canada...however i carry a handgun on the coach and im not sure how they handle that...

but i guess thats another thread!.....lol

Absolutely no handguns OR ammo in Canada. Not a single bullet... Don't even try. Be very careful with that.

buc1980

houston tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/22 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bring a lot of cash for the diesel California is expensive.

2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> New Jersey to California
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.