|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> 30A Surge Protector Recommendations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/22 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Comparison chart https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Articles.asp?ID=279

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/22 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put the hard wired Progressive Industries HWC-30 in my TT. I cheaped out and didn’t get the remote display. Mistake.
Only problem is it does it’s job well. No ground, inverted polarity on the mains, NO POWER passed. No workarounds. Had low voltage at one place, it kept shutting off power. I suggest having a bypassable plug so you can get power in those odd cases IF you determine the risk is worth it.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/22 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boomerweps wrote:

I put the hard wired Progressive Industries HWC-30 in my TT. I cheaped out and didn’t get the remote display. Mistake.
Only problem is it does it’s job well. No ground, inverted polarity on the mains, NO POWER passed. No workarounds. Had low voltage at one place, it kept shutting off power. I suggest having a bypassable plug so you can get power in those odd cases IF you determine the risk is worth it.

This is one very good reason to have the remote display if you want to bypass the EMS and restore power and take the risk.
[image]

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/22 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boomerweps wrote:

As IAMICHABOD stated, there IS a bypass. It is part of the remote pendant that you didn't get.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

cbshoestring

Penn Hills. PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/22 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

This is one very good reason to have the remote display if you want to bypass the EMS and restore power and take the risk.
[image]

I have to shut mine off when we boondock for four wheeling trips. The generator trips the unit for "open ground".

I'm normally only using the trailer for sleeping....with a space heater for heat. Maybe a bit of t.v. as I nod off. So I figure nothing important will get fried.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/22 10:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cbshoestring wrote:

I have to shut mine off when we boondock for four wheeling trips. The generator trips the unit for "open ground".

I'm normally only using the trailer for sleeping....with a space heater for heat. Maybe a bit of t.v. as I nod off. So I figure nothing important will get fried.

There is a way around that, so you don't have to bypass the EMS,just make or BUY a grounding plug for your generator.

This Thread may be of help to you if you are interested in doing it.

* This post was edited 05/10/22 08:02am by IAMICHABOD *

cbshoestring

Penn Hills. PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/22 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

cbshoestring wrote:

There is a way around that, so you don't have to bypass the EMS,just make or BUY a grounding plug for your generator.

This Thread may be of help to you if you are interested in doing it.

Thank you.

I normally use CG pedestals with the better half, but have recently started making 1 or 2 trips a year with the brothers to do a bit of ATV riding. One brother kindly shares his generator, as we both set up for minimum power usage.

I may have to add a plug to the collection....we all keep.

* This post was edited 05/10/22 08:55am by cbshoestring *

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/22 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

Boomerweps wrote:

As IAMICHABOD stated, there IS a bypass. It is part of the remote pendant that you didn't get.

There were NO switches on the remote display whenever I bought my EMS. I’ll have to contact PI to see if the new remote is usable with my unit. IIRC, at the time I bought & 1st used my EMS, you could separately purchase the remote display later for near twice the additional cost buying it with the EMS.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/22 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boomerweps wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

Boomerweps wrote:

There were NO switches on the remote display whenever I bought my EMS. I’ll have to contact PI to see if the new remote is usable with my unit. IIRC, at the time I bought & 1st used my EMS, you could separately purchase the remote display later for near twice the additional cost buying it with the EMS.

I bought my PI EMS HW30C in 2008 with the remote pendant. It has the switch. Your PI must be really old, because mine is 14 years old. Here is a photograph of my pendant (note the lower left corner of the pendant):

[image]

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/22 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2005 HW50C remote has a switch.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> 30A Surge Protector Recommendations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.