RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Just give me the bad news.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Just give me the bad news.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/22 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Meaning the issues have gone away, or just that it runs fine like you originally said?
With respect to insurance, presuming you’ve inherited the truck and it’s now in your name, if you don’t want or can’t deal with the issues yourself, then go put full coverage on it. And then turn it in to insurance in a couple months.
Good news that no rodent damage, but are you sure? It would not be in the cab likely. Newer vehicles are pretty well sealed up.

No, just that it runs and drives fine. The instrument panel is still not working, and the center console still thinks its Canadian.

I have not inherited the truck. When Dad died, everything that was jointly owned went to Mom with no paperwork. The only thing that was in his name was his truck. Before we could get it transferred, she got sick and died too.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Thunderbolt

North Branch, Mn USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/22 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

It runs perfectly now.

There is no evidence of rodent activity, just mold and moisture in the cab.

When I went to move it water trickled out from under the dashboard on to the floor mats.

There is no insurance on the truck. The policy expired and I could neither renew nor cancel it. Only basic liability coverage on the property too. Insurance rates were bankrupting my folks, and they had everything pared down to the bare minimum and still paying $2000 a year on the property.

The windshield is likely leaking on the truck. I had that happen before.

Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM 293,000 miles
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton (Sold)
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
380,000 miles.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/22 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with putting a dehumidifier in the truck for a few days. Turn it all the way to DRY and empty the pan several times a day.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/22 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

It runs perfectly now.

There is no evidence of rodent activity, just mold and moisture in the cab.

When I went to move it water trickled out from under the dashboard on to the floor mats.

There is no insurance on the truck. The policy expired and I could neither renew nor cancel it. Only basic liability coverage on the property too. Insurance rates were bankrupting my folks, and they had everything pared down to the bare minimum and still paying $2000 a year on the property.

Just to clarify, all of the warning lights are off?

If so, good to hear!

Safe travels,
MM.

Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/22 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Meaning the issues have gone away, or just that it runs fine like you originally said?
With respect to insurance, presuming you’ve inherited the truck and it’s now in your name, if you don’t want or can’t deal with the issues yourself, then go put full coverage on it. And then turn it in to insurance in a couple months.
Good news that no rodent damage, but are you sure? It would not be in the cab likely. Newer vehicles are pretty well sealed up.

No, just that it runs and drives fine. The instrument panel is still not working, and the center console still thinks its Canadian.

I have not inherited the truck. When Dad died, everything that was jointly owned went to Mom with no paperwork. The only thing that was in his name was his truck. Before we could get it transferred, she got sick and died too.

Then you can’t do anything with the truck now anyway.
I’d get it cleaned up and dried out. I’d still drive it some. Fix it if you’re so inclined.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/22 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr.Mark wrote:

Just to clarify, all of the warning lights are off?

Nope, all the warning lights are still on, none of the gauges work, the radio/display only partially works, and the climate control thinks its Canadian.

It just literally starts, runs, and drives. You turn the key, it goes r-r-r-vroom! You pull the gearshift (counting clicks because the gear display does not work) and it goes in the direction you put it in.

Cheeses me off because I watch these videos of folks literally pressure washing out the interiors of vehicles with ZERO problems.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/22 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Condolences on your loss

As for the gremlins...think of getting your home computer wet by dripping water into the case

These days, any newer vehicle is no different than your computer

At signal level voltages & currents...it doesn't take much to create shorts and/or couplings between lines. Toss in high frequencies that some subsystems employ

Not salt water (the worst), but washed dust/etc during it's path to the dash.
Meaning made conductive...high resistance shorts

An analogy would be old time ignition with a distributor & getting water in there

Good luck !

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Just give me the bad news.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.