RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Can Tow providers mount new tire to wheel ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Can Tow providers mount new tire to wheel ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/22 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wondering: We have a 24 foot diesel class C with somewhat difficult to find tires = Hankook DynaPro RH12 195/75R16C . I am considering carrying a spare tire only ( no wheel ) due to weight issues.

My question: Do most tow truck operators have the capability to dismount and mount a new tire onto a wheel?

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

cbshoestring

Penn Hills. PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/22 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many trucking companies carry a spare. Just about any large fleet tire service can remove/remount a tire on the side of the road. Depending on tire location... they can do it without removing the rim from the vehicle.

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/22 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen the big truck tow trucks replace a wheel, not sure if the smaller operators will, not sure what size truck you need for your 24 ft, I'm assuming it's a Sprinter based RV.

But that wheel must weigh only 25 - 30 lbs (probably less than the tire), do you really need to save that much weight? That's only a few gallons of water.

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/22 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

I've seen the big truck tow trucks replace a wheel, not sure if the smaller operators will, not sure what size truck you need for your 24 ft, I'm assuming it's a Sprinter based RV.

But that wheel must weigh only 25 - 30 lbs (probably less than the tire), do you really need to save that much weight? That's only a few gallons of water.

For the record, I want to occasionally carry the spare tire without wheel , fastened to my ladder and I don't want to put more than 30 pounds weight (tire weight) on the ladder.

BTW, RV is a Winnebago Fuse on a Ford Transit chassis.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/22 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed_Gee wrote:

Just wondering: We have a 24 foot diesel class C with somewhat difficult to find tires = Hankook DynaPro RH12 195/75R16C . I am considering carrying a spare tire only ( no wheel ) due to weight issues.

My question: Do most tow truck operators have the capability to dismount and mount a new tire onto a wheel?

No, you would need to request a service truck from a tire company to remount your spare. Depending on where you were this could add lots of time and expense. In your situation, I would find a way to transport a mounted spare tire.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/22 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had coach-net , the agent asked if my spare was mounted or did it need to be mounted.
She would have called a tire service rather than a tow service. But i guess it might be who is available to come out to help in your area at the time. These road service companies go down a list of providers until someone picks up the service call.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/22 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tell the tow company the situation and see what they can do. Can be done with the right hand tools.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/22 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know about "most", but the towing companies around me all seem to have tire mounting equipment back at their shop. I have not heard or seen them actually mounting a tire on a wheel / rim on the side of a road for smaller vehicles.

"big rig" towing and service companies can usually mount a tire on a wheel, and then mount it on a trailer or truck, out in the field.

Bringing a spare tire, not mounted on a rim, is an idea, but... it really is easier to carry a spare on its own rim.

When you say weight issues, is that because your camper is over weight, or you have trouble moving / carrying a mounted spare yourself? I know as I have gotten more "seasoned" in age I have learned to use crowbars and blocks of wood to help lift spare tires onto a vehicle.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/22 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had occasion to have this done. The tire service guy arrived and had the new tire mounted and was gone in 30 min. Might I mention that it was raining!

BurbMan

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/22 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can find a tire service guy to mount a tire roadside but they don't have the ability to balance it roadside. If you have an issue with the front, it's going to be rough riding until you can find a shop to balance it. If you're going to carry a spare, I would have it already mounted and balanced so you can swap it out and keep going.

I carry this Safety Seal tire repair kit with me, so I can easily handle any flat tire. The only times you would need to swap the tire is in the case of a blowout or a puncture too close to the sidewall that can't be plugged. Blowouts are rare unless you're running overloaded or underinflated.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2008 Heartland Big Country 3250TS
SOLD: 2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
2002 Lance 811 Renovation Story!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Can Tow providers mount new tire to wheel ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.