RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: EPDM roof Material or Something Else?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > EPDM roof Material or Something Else?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
3 tons

NV.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/13/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/17/22 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My TPO Roof (thermopolyolifin) is about as good today as the day I bought the camper 13 years ago, in fact I can’t even see a difference…When not in use, the truck camper has been ‘mostly’ (but not always) covered, yet gets used regularly, I’d estimate that between two different vehicles it has about 185k miles on it, including plenty of NV high desert camping…So it’s not quite clear to me why one would seek to avoid TPO??

3 tons

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 05/17/22 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

...So it’s not quite clear to me why one would seek to avoid TPO??

3 tons
Unfamiliarity, and not enough knowledge on the subject.


Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

Senior Member

Joined: 08/24/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/17/22 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jodeb720 wrote:

OP here -

First thanks to IAMICHABOD that link told me I have an EPDM roof - Now the follow up question - what adhesive is the correct one to repair a section of the roof?

Thanks!

josh

How big of a section are you needing to repair? If it's a tear, get Eternabond tape. If it's a small hole, the I would use Eternabond and then Dicor self levelling.


2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L


jodeb720

Denver

Senior Member

Joined: 11/19/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/17/22 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got a pinhole last october and by the time I had found out about the hole, I had a bubble (like the top of a 747) of the 5er.

Since the Trailer is 12 years old - for the time being i just want to reattach the existing roof (except for the single hole - the roof is in decent shape) the existing EPDM back the wood substrate.

As Doug Pointed out in another email - because of the age of the 5er - If I was going to do it right, I would replace the entire roof - but for the time being I need to seal it up so I can use it for the season.

So my question is: What is the correct type of adhesive to use to attach epdm to the wood substrate of the roof?

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/18/22 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jodeb720 wrote:

I got a pinhole last october and by the time I had found out about the hole, I had a bubble (like the top of a 747) of the 5er.

Since the Trailer is 12 years old - for the time being i just want to reattach the existing roof (except for the single hole - the roof is in decent shape) the existing EPDM back the wood substrate.

As Doug Pointed out in another email - because of the age of the 5er - If I was going to do it right, I would replace the entire roof - but for the time being I need to seal it up so I can use it for the season.

So my question is: What is the correct type of adhesive to use to attach epdm to the wood substrate of the roof?


The ONLY CORRECT way to attach a TPO/EPDM roof to the roof is to pull the OLD off and redeck(overlay) the existing wood deck. Then use EPDM/TPO approved adhesive. If you attempt to install new TPO/EPDM over the existing wood after removing the old, the new glue will not adhere correctly to the old decking and you will have hundreds of little bumps under the new roof material. Below is the link for the adhesive. Doug


PS, Use the link and use that glue to do your repair. What I do for your type is to cut out the square area and remove the rubber. Cut a slightly larger piece of rubber and glue in place and then use Eternabond around the perimeter.


https://dicorproducts.com/product/water-based-bonding-adhesive/

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

Senior Member

Joined: 08/24/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/18/22 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

snipped

PS, Use the link and use that glue to do your repair. What I do for your type is to cut out the square area and remove the rubber. Cut a slightly larger piece of rubber and glue in place and then use Eternabond around the perimeter.


https://dicorproducts.com/product/water-based-bonding-adhesive/
THAT is why I like reading your posts. As simple as it is I wouldn't have thought of doing it that way but it would definitely work better than what I would have done.

I would have cut a slit at the bubbled part, laid it down flat and put Eternabond on the cut part to seal it. I still wouldn't have the repair glued down doing that, even though it would be sealed.

I am also a lousy carpenter. [emoticon]

jodeb720

Denver

Senior Member

Joined: 11/19/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/18/22 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug,

As always, thank you so much for the guidance and advice.
I was thinking exactly the same idea for resealing it after it was reattached.
Eternabond, and once it's all together (with new wood underneath) I was going to put one of the roof coatings (hengs, henry, etc) - of course, not knowing which one to use, If I'm in for an inch, I'm in for a mile. I'll ask.

Which has been the best performing coating that you've used?

Thanks!

josh

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > EPDM roof Material or Something Else?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.