RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: I am the truck killer!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> I am the truck killer!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/22 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

ZR2 conjures up images of 20 year old S10 blazers!

Gonna make you feel old. Try 30 years. The ZR2 was 1994-1996 according to Wikipedia.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/22 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerem0621 wrote:

So sorry for your troubles!

I have a buddy who has a lifter fail on his 2020 Silverado. Instead of waiting for the truck to get repaired he traded it in on a new ZR2 Silverado.

200 MILES on the new truck.
~ Lifter Failure ~

On the other hand the 2.7l has proven extremely reliable and capable. I’m recommending them to anyone looking for a newer GM full size truck.

They do have DOD but it’s controlled by the cam not the lifter. Seems to be a much more reliable system.

Thanks

Jerem

Dang, I would have figured that they had that cured by now...

If I trade this thing after getting it fixed, I don't want another one. How are the 4.3L V6's holding up? The one I had in 1997 was a lemon, but I can't imagine that the current ones share anything but the displacement...

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/22 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerem0621 wrote:

On the other hand the 2.7l has proven extremely reliable and capable. I’m recommending them to anyone looking for a newer GM full size truck.

Thanks

Jerem

I have a little 2.7L twin turbo 1/2T. When thinking I needed a pickup to replace my 2020 Ford Edge ST (2.7L twin turbo) I researched GM and RAM and turned them both down(GM lifter issues and Hemi cam issues) and up with a 2021 F150 2.7L. Nice truck.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/22 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

jerem0621 wrote:

Thanks

Jerem

I have a little 2.7L twin turbo 1/2T. When thinking I needed a pickup to replace my 2020 Ford Edge ST (2.7L twin turbo) I researched GM and RAM and turned them both down(GM lifter issues and Hemi cam issues) and up with a 2021 F150 2.7L. Nice truck.

Ford 3.5 EB have cam phaser problems. Perhaps not as significant as the other brands but a problem indeed.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/22 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

jerem0621 wrote:

I have a buddy who has a lifter fail on his 2020 Silverado. Instead of waiting for the truck to get repaired he traded it in on a new ZR2 Silverado.

~ Lifter Failure ~

They do have DOD but it’s controlled by the cam not the lifter. Seems to be a much more reliable system.

Thanks

Jerem

If I trade this thing after getting it fixed, I don't want another one. How are the 4.3L V6's holding up? The one I had in 1997 was a lemon, but I can't imagine that the current ones share anything but the displacement...

The current 4.3 from 2014 or so on is based on the 5.3/6.0 vs previous a 350 with 2 cylinders lopped off.

Not sure if the 4.3 is still available excepting maybe WT models.

Granted I've only owned mine a year, started with 93k, now almost 112k miles. Nothing but oil changes. I did put new shocks and 2" lift struts, along with a 2" lift 1500 lb add a leaf to the suspension. This has made hauling 3000 lbs in the bed way nicer. Along with the one trailer I tow with 700 lbs of HW not sag as much. It's now about the same height as grits truck is from factory.
One issue with the 4.3 to think about, is the RA is the 10 bolt 8.5" vs the V8s getting the 12 bolt 9.5. both are SF versions.
I did get 24-25 on freeway before lift and taller tire, now down about 3 mpg

I've towed 8500 lb about on par speed wis with the BB 454s I had in the 90s, along with the vortex 350 in my 8 lug 2500. The 6 ap trans is a BIG help vs the 3 and 4 sp autos in thos rigs.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/22 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

mkirsch wrote:

jerem0621 wrote:

~ Lifter Failure ~

Thanks

Jerem

The current 4.3 from 2014 or so on is based on the 5.3/6.0 vs previous a 350 with 2 cylinders lopped off.

Not sure if the 4.3 is still available excepting maybe WT models.

Granted I've only owned mine a year, started with 93k, now almost 112k miles. Nothing but oil changes. I did put new shocks and 2" lift struts, along with a 2" lift 1500 lb add a leaf to the suspension. This has made hauling 3000 lbs in the bed way nicer. Along with the one trailer I tow with 700 lbs of HW not sag as much. It's now about the same height as grits truck is from factory.
One issue with the 4.3 to think about, is the RA is the 10 bolt 8.5" vs the V8s getting the 12 bolt 9.5. both are SF versions.
I did get 24-25 on freeway before lift and taller tire, now down about 3 mpg

I've towed 8500 lb about on par speed wis with the BB 454s I had in the 90s, along with the vortex 350 in my 8 lug 2500. The 6 ap trans is a BIG help vs the 3 and 4 sp autos in thos rigs.

Marty

The highly complex 2.7 replaced the simple 4.3 engine.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/22 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Me Again wrote:

jerem0621 wrote:

Thanks

Jerem

Ford 3.5 EB have cam phaser problems. Perhaps not as significant as the other brands but a problem indeed.

I believe the 2.7L Ecoboost is noted as more reliable than the 3.5 Ecoboost. The 10 speed tranny is a bit of an over kill, for the torquey little engine.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/22 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

9 out of the 10 gears are useful. The split from 9 to 10 is about useless though.

* This post was edited 05/24/22 09:12am by Grit dog *

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/22 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a bad taste in my mouth from my last 4.3L "350 with two cylinders lopped off" experience. That thing never ran right from the day it rolled off the dealer's lot.

Had a small miss in it from day one. Took it back in the first week, they dismissed me, "could not recreate customer complaint." I even took them out and showed them. They acted like they could not feel it.

The small miss finally turned into a big miss, and an engine light. They couldn't ignore it then. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, clear codes. Back to a small miss, which I pointed out and even showed them again, got told I was nuts.

It needed plugs, wires, cap and rotor about every 13 months to make the big miss go back to a small miss. Then one day it died on the highway. Bad ignition coil. Got it fixed, back to a small miss. Killed two ignition coils that way. That's where I got my bad opinion of AAA.

The one day the big miss came back and no amount of new plugs, wires, caps, rotors, or ignition coils would fix it. Took it to an independent garage near my work. After a few hours they called, said they acknowledged the miss, but could not find anything wrong. They angrily told me if I came and got it NOW, and never brought it back, they would not charge me for the diagnostic time.

Then it wouldn't start in my parents' front yard. Ended up borrowing my Dad's truck to get back home. He somehow managed to get it running and took it to a country mechanic, who FINALLY diagnosed the TBI fuel injectors and found that 3 of them weren't firing at all and the other 3 were misfiring. I'd had enough. Replace the three bad ones, I'm trading it in. That's where my 2003 came from, and that's the best truck I'd owned so far. Never missed a beat in 12 years. Never left me on the side of the road. Had a perpetual EVAP code for the last 6 years but it would stay off long enough to pass inspection.

Ok this turned into quite the rant, but I'm not going to delete it because I went to all the trouble of writing it, LOL...

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/22 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^And yet none of this thread has a single thing to do with the original GM 4.3 V6.
Almost as pertinent as comparing (presumably you were comparing) the newer GM LS based 4.3 to a Ford or???

Although to your discussion, Sounds more like horrible diagnosis, not a horrible engine. The old small block 4.3 was generally a very robust bulletproof engine.

And if it was new enough to have 6 injectors, it was port injected, not throttle body injected.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> I am the truck killer!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.