|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> SiO2 Batteries and High Amp Draws

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/22 12:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy said: “haha, weird that they are so expensive there for LFP. you had to order the Sio2 and just doing a quick search a drop in bought online from alberta lithium is 550ish this one

but ya it makes sence if you alreay had one to get another , after all what are you going to do, throw it out.”

Yet I don’t view this as some kinda ‘dire situation’ but rather just an alternative path to arrive at one’s own particular energy needs…For PT, cold weather is of paramount concern, so it’s great for others to know that there’s a viable alternative that (admittedly here, just from my own perspective…) has excellent performance characteristics though (IMO…) seemingly more similar to other FLA’s (i.e. but higher currents, and no sulfating = longer life) than to the nearly flat voltage plateau of LFP’s…

Cost is yet another another factor, and though prices more recently have appeared to drop, in the not too distant past (e.g. ‘conditions on the ground’ at the time…) LFP cost for our neighbors in the north seemed excruciatingly high ($$), likely making acquisition a relative rarity…Again, just my lay opinion only, but ultimately the BEST overall option might easily and logically have been to go forward using the very same battery type - No dreaded after thoughts required !!

3 tons

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/22 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got the SiO2s in late 2020

Seldom used since with covid reducing dog events. Took the TC out myself the other day to see that it all still works now things are starting up again

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/22 03:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

I got the SiO2s in late 2020

Seldom used since with covid reducing dog events. Took the TC out myself the other day to see that it all still works now things are starting up again

Heck BLF, they’re almost brand new then [emoticon] !! So, with ‘lots to recommend’, and many years of what’ll surely be dependable service that awaits, ain’t no dang reason to be looking back!!

Just Enjoy!!

3 tons

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/22 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes they survived a year of floating ok.

With one I had to use the 20 amp setting on a Vector charger but with two I can use the 55 amp converter

I see that Alberta LFP says 60 amps limit so would need the 55 amper and not use my 75 amper. I guess it has the under-sized BMS you guys were talking about

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/22 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe the 60 amp limitation is likely due to heat and the closeness of prismatic type cells - ain’t nothing wrong with that…Alternatively, cylindrical type cells have air spacing in between and often capable of 1c, (as with Aims and as I recall BB)…

Either way, know that using simultaneously my 100a ProSine 2.0 inverter-charger and the PD 9245 in boost, the highest combined amperage I’ve ever witnessed going into the two paralleled 200a/h LFP’s (say, starting out at about 30-35% SOC) is just over 70 amps (say 72a), but as you’re aware the current shortly thereafter begins to taper downwards - can’t recall exactly, but probably drops to mid or just over 60a within only about 15 min…

3 tons

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/22 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually have almost no info on LFP charging profiles. To understand your data above, would also need the charging voltage and whether it reached that when tapering started.

Sometimes tapering starts "early" as was seen with PD some PD converters not holding constant amps in Bulk, and is not related to the classic Bulk/Absorption transition.

There is a need for some plotting and graph making to get the picture clear. [emoticon]

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/22 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately, I don’t possess that level of detail, mostly because (with level best honesty, pleased, since faster than my former GC’s) I’ve not felt any desire to develop such…But some others here (say, far more attentive than your’s truly - lol!) may be better able to inform…

Having said that (and from experience…), yes there is a gradual bit of voltage drop, but as I’ve previously posted (e.g. testing even at zero % SOC while at 125a Keurig brewing…), yet still no inverter or BMV 712 low voltage alarms - note, a single Aims LFP bench tested at 215 actual a/h…)…

FWIW, From all that I’d past researched (non-vendor sourced) and read here, I’m honestly not aware of any actual user disagreement concerning LFP’s quasi-faster charge recovery time (though I now lack the GC means to quantify such…), however this has just been my ‘seat if the pants’ but recurring experience (though not a ‘one off’!!)…Admittedly, I’ve given you a lot’s of ‘blow back’ in the past, yet with your most recent post, you’ve conveyed (at least in my view) a far better sense of where you’re coming from and which I can better relate to and appreciate- just saying…[emoticon]

3 tons

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/22 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

High draw per capacity ability and higher charging efficiency are different things
LFP has both; SiO2 has the first, not so much
of the other AFAIK but will know when I plot a charging profile

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/22 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

High draw per capacity ability and higher charging efficiency are different things
LFP has both; SiO2 has the first, not so much
of the other AFAIK but will know when I plot a charging profile

Ha! Well I suppose then by default that’ll soon make you RV.net’s own SiO2 ‘Resident Expert’!!…FWIW (now having expanded to 8 dang PV panels!!), solar has gotten cheap and adding more will greatly help overcome slower charge recovery - just saying…

3 tons

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/22 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

High draw on LiFePo4 is limited by the battery management system. It depends on what the maker sets it at. Anyone know what is most common? 100 amps (1c)???

Seeing as my goal is a battery bank of at least 400 and possibly 700 amp-hours, the speed of charging of Li is not useful to me--as my fastest charger maxes out at 127 amps @ nominal 12 volts.

Efficiency also does not concern me as I want to float the batteries between trips. SiO2 float nicely. Li, not so much.

For me, the most important factor is full charging not required on each cycle. My understanding is that both Li and SiO2 are quite happy, if they are fully recharged once every 30 days.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> SiO2 Batteries and High Amp Draws
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.