|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> leaving the stick and brick for the summer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Scottiemom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/22 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I turn my water off. Friends in our park have sprung leaks while they were away and had to replace all their floors and drywall a few feet up. Plus they were on metered water and had a big bill to pay.

Dale

Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/22 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Janss wrote:

86 also. Plus I lift up the toilet seat, put plastic wrap sealed very well over the toilet bowl, and put the seat and lid down. That water in the bowl will evaporate and could dry out your toilet if this is not done...which could cause problems. Don't ask me how I know.

Wow, the perfect practical joke turned into a useful home storage tool!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/22 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I turn my water off too. Had an incident years back. I also turn off the circuit breaker of my electric water heater. No need to reheat the same water over and over again while I'm gone.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/22 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of facts here. I have 3 homes plus the DP. In the houses I just set them on 73 and never change them. Never had a commode go dry and if it floods that's what insurance is for including the water bill. Once the water in the basement was up to the floor because the sump pump failed. Insurance paid for it all.

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/22 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer....Interesting take on things. I wouldn't want my house to flood even if the insurance pays for it. And if I left my house a/c at 73 for 3 months that I'm gone, I'd have a much higher electric bill than if I had stayed at home.

Grit dog....That certainly would be a great practical joke! Hope we never forget the plastic wrap when we arrive back home and run into the house to go to the bathroom!

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/22 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Around here, most Climate Controlled storage facilities keep the A/C set in the high 80s, just enough to run it to pull out the humidity.

When we camped seasonally, we had the A/C upstairs set to 85 degrees, downstairs was off. We would turn off the water, the refrigerator (and left open), and the hot water heater. We had a couple lights on smart switches/outlets inside and out and we left the internet on so we could monitor cameras and the smart switches/outlets.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/22 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Humidity is probably not a big concern in Vegas, so high 80's/low 90's is going to be fine. If anything, you might want to run a humidifier so it does

As others mentioned some oil in the toilet and P-traps so sewer gas can't come back in if they dry out.

Turn off all the breakers except to the air/con & sump pump (assuming you have one).

Turn off the main water valve/pump.

Clean out the fridge, remove food and make sure to clean up any food related spills...otherwise you are likely to draw critters.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/22 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While ferndale has an interesting take on the care of his personal possessions, I've seen or known of a couple too many of the typical/cheap toilet/sink valves failing to not at least do something as simple as spending 2 minutes to turn off the water if leaving it unattended for a long time.
But generally seen it due to freezing.

To ferndale's point, what is a long time? You could have enough damage if a line broke 1 minute after you went to sleep at night, until you woke up in the morning.
A simple vacation or weekend away, same scenario could as well.

So again to his point, does it really matter? Damage will be similar, but how long it goes un checked is more the issue, IMO.

All good points though on winterizing or summerizing a home.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/22 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

While ferndale has an interesting take on the care of his personal possessions, I've seen or known of a couple too many of the typical/cheap toilet/sink valves failing to not at least do something as simple as spending 2 minutes to turn off the water if leaving it unattended for a long time.
But generally seen it due to freezing.

To ferndale's point, what is a long time? You could have enough damage if a line broke 1 minute after you went to sleep at night, until you woke up in the morning.
A simple vacation or weekend away, same scenario could as well.

So again to his point, does it really matter? Damage will be similar, but how long it goes un checked is more the issue, IMO.

All good points though on winterizing or summerizing a home.

While you could have damage from 1min of leaking or even a few hours... but the sooner you clean it up and dry it out the less likely there will be collateral damage. If you have an overnight leak and immediately in the morning, stop the leak and dry it out, good chance you never develop a mold problem. Let a leaking pipe spray water into the wall for weeks and you may need to do mold abatement and you may have rotted wood in the floors and walls...Make it 3 months and you will almost certainly have a much bigger problem...it escalates with time.

Back when we had a house, I would typically turn off the water and adjust the thermostat if we were leaving for a weekend. A week or more and I would kill most of the breakers. Just took a couple minutes, so no great burden.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/22 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

having had that "leak in the wall" It gets uncomfortable to try to get to sleep when there are 6 huge de-humidifiers in your bedroom.
bumpy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> leaving the stick and brick for the summer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.