|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Stealth Camping Tennessee

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/22 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, Seattle is a fair analogy despite fewer Tn homeless have rvs and are more dependent upon camps, alleys, vacant lots, etc.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/22 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Until someone like this shows up RV slumlord

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/22 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep.

edwardvvthorpe

New York, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/22 02:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

How about having some respect for peoples' neighborhoods. I would never think about parking in front of someone's home on some random street for any amount of time. It's plain inconsiderate. Why would anyone do that if they can afford an RV and gas for it then pay for a darn place to park for the night. I am glad this law was enacted.

I absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately, lately I've been seeing more and more people who don't think about others at all, who don't think about the discomfort they can cause others with their actions. I don't know why I started paying attention to it, maybe I am just getting old and callous, or maybe such cases are really increasing, maybe it is even a consequence of Covid19, by the way such version exists, read on https://writemyessay.nyc. Either way, I'm glad this law was passed. The other thing is that it is certainly hard to call it a criminal offense, but it certainly needs to be stopped.

* This post was edited 06/27/22 12:18pm by edwardvvthorpe *

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/22 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I don't agree with is local municipalities making it illegal to park in a business's parking lot overnight if they allow it like Walmart does in places. A business should have control over their property not the city. "Stealth" camping is not camping. The TN law is not directed at RVers but to prevent homeless camps like in Seattle and Portland from forming.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/22 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most RVers do not park on residential streets unless it's in front of the house of a friend or family member they are there to see.. Many cities have had rules against that for a long, long time.

The problem for RVers is like the problem Ham Radio operators have when they pass a "no hand held devices" law or now 2-way Radios or Scanners.. Hams use scanners (Mine scans a lot of ham radio frequencies. NO police/fire/ems Just ham).
We use a hand held mic (the speaker may or may not be hand held). And over the next 3 months I will participate in 3 Siren Tests (A public Service_) and 3 races) another public service) these are jobs that, if not for we hams would require a police officer to spend time NOT enforcing the law.

Same with the Homeless thing.. The law, being poorly written. Hits someone with a million dollar motor home same as a man with a 2 person pop tent. (I have one of those too). The Wal-Docker same as the residential street blocker.

And of course... There are two ways to get rid of MOST homeless
You can build 'em a house (or find 'em a house) and help them to afford it.

Or See; Law in Tennessee. I might add the first option... Less expensive.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fourthclassC

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/22 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too am a friend of Tioga George. I miss his blog. I had been following him since the beginning when he was in remission from cancer. He really knew a lot about campers and camping....Too bad about the laws not allowing camping in public spaces. Not surprised with the way the world is going. That new thing where you join a service that connects you to private folks that will allow you to dry camp on their land/driveway may be a good thing.

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/22 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fourthclass -- I miss him, too. He would celebrate Christmas (even though he was Jewish) by attending the "Nutcracker Suite" ballet nearly every year. There was always someone who would invite him to Thanksgiving dinner. The country music celebs on tour would give him an upfront seat at their concerts when in California. I wonder what the Nashville groups think about what's happening in Tenn. And if they still remember George.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/22 04:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He'd have made a fortune on YouTube. Here is an interview but the host needs a few pointers on positioning people. I can't get it to start at the beginning but you can slide it back.

Tioga George clicky

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

fourthclassC

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/22 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea, I really got a lot of good ideas from reading George's blog. He had sections on cooking, budgets, lots of technical stuff about RV's and also some life philosophy. He taught me about the real weakness in the corners of rv construction due to the moldings not being wide enough. He also had tragedy when he lost his son. I even wanted to meet up with him when he was in CA and I was going to be out there for business but it never happened. He always replied to my emails even when he got popular and many folks emailed with him. His last project of converting a rental truck to an rv was really interesting and he was doing a great job of it and using very high quality appliences. Just reminds me we all have limited time on this earth and we should make the best of it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Stealth Camping Tennessee
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.