|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Not one but two blowouts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/22 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

If you have a heavy 5er with E rated tires I'd recommend replacing them soon with G's

On my commercial trailers and my rv trailers with 5.2k-6k axles/16" wheels I use and recommend LT E such as a Bridgestone R-238/others. Their good for 50k-60k miles and no issues.

One poster says his ST cheapie tires are 15 years old...this tells us he travels very few miles per year.
Lots of rv trailer owners don't run but 3k-6k miles per year vs those of us who travel 7k-10k miles per year. ST C/D/E simply won't hold up to that type of use.

I would recommend a quality commercial grade all steel ply carcass load G ST235/80-16 tire at 4080 lbs for 7k axles.
Or the same tire in a ST235/85-16 at 4408 lbs capacity on 8k axles.

I wouldn't recommended over tiring any highway trailer above 15-18 percent above axle ratings.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/22 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Likes to tow wrote:

Many reputable RV manufacturers are putting the Goodyear ENDURANCE on as standard equipment now. I switched to them two years ago and have made two long trips out West with no tire issues! Yes get rid of the China Bombs!!

I have been running a set of GY ENDURANCE dated 2517 15" in "D" load range on my boat trailer since 2017 with at least 20k with ZERO issues. OH yea they have plenty of tread left. I run them at 50psi same as what the OE "C" tires are at MAX psi. Perfectly even tread wear. I run them most every day in the summer at 70mph. They run nice and cool also. Scrubbing??? Yea they get their share every day parking and leaving home plus at the boat launch in and out of salt water.

They also set without rolling for 6 months every winter.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/22 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Likes to tow wrote:

Many reputable RV manufacturers are putting the Goodyear ENDURANCE on as standard equipment now. I switched to them two years ago and have made two long trips out West with no tire issues! Yes get rid of the China Bombs!!

I have been running a set of GY ENDURANCE dated 2517 15" in "D" load range on my boat trailer since 2017 with at least 20k with ZERO issues. OH yea they have plenty of tread left. I run them at 50psi same as what the OE "C" tires are at MAX psi. Perfectly even tread wear. I run them most every day in the summer at 70mph. They run nice and cool also. Scrubbing??? Yea they get their share every day parking and leaving home plus at the boat launch in and out of salt water.

PLUS THEY ARE MADE IN THE USA........HOW GOOD CAN IT GET

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/22 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ST tires don’t need any particular reason to go pow and I know that from personal experience. I had an 18 K gooseneck tri-axle with 16 inch and the ST tires made it 26 months and I know for a fact they were never run under inflated or suffered any road hazard. Exactly the same experience with my RVs in Arizona. I never had ST tires last longer than 50 months and the trailers were only used for about one month out of those 50 months and stored off the ground and covered.
I use nothing but LT – E tires on my trailers and the problems are gone. Craig

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/22 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Likes to tow wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Likes to tow wrote:

PLUS THEY ARE MADE IN THE USA........HOW GOOD CAN IT GET

YES!!!

Also in the 5 years they have been on the market I have yet to see a NON ROAD HAZARD blowout on an ENDURANCE they are simply that good!!!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/22 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C Schomer wrote:

ST tires don’t need any particular reason to go pow and I know that from personal experience. I had an 18 K gooseneck tri-axle with 16 inch and the ST tires made it 26 months and I know for a fact they were never run under inflated or suffered any road hazard. Exactly the same experience with my RVs in Arizona. I never had ST tires last longer than 50 months and the trailers were only used for about one month out of those 50 months and stored off the ground and covered.
I use nothing but LT – E tires on my trailers and the problems are gone. Craig

Maybe it's due to the quality of the tire than the type???

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/22 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

Durb wrote:

I've heard that if you have a blow out, drive immediately to the tire shop and replace the other tires as they are getting ready to go too. Could be automated manufacturing consistency causing a flaw to be continually and identically duplicated. I've had light bulbs on the same line burn out within 30 seconds from each other.

You might consider replacing the spare too. Glad you didn't have too much damage.

some people just have more money than they know what to do with. if you have a blow out and your tires are all 8 years old ya its time to look at chaning them out, but at 3 years old, even 5 years if they look like there in good shape why throw the money away.

I did replace all 4. I didn't give much thought to continue on the remaining original tires. I heard warnings on those tires when I bought the FW and ignored them. After seeing the damage they could do and the way it blew out I decided immediately I was going to replace them all with better tires. The second tire blowing within 5 miles of the first one was just icing on the cake and reinforced my decision. Granted they aren't cheap, especially when you look at the remaining tires, really inspect them and they look perfectly fine. But I was already buying 2 very different tires, it was a no brainer to buy all 4 and save myself the anxiety going down the road. DW wasn't having it any other way either.

you were half way there so not much difference either way. but I can pretty much guarentee it wasnt 4 tires just waiting to go, but rather you hit somthing on that side. even hitting a pothole two weeks propr can weaken the belt in a tire leading to a failure. in todays market I don't think there are any true tire bombs left. I have never gotten under 10 years out of a tire myself but I don't drive over 60 when towing, I make sure there always propery inflated and I avoid stuff on the road that I think could damage them. oh I lied I did replace one on the 5th wheel two years after I bought it. when I was checking the tires in the spring I noticed one had some uneven wear and upon further inspection it had a broken belt, so I changed it out. probably another two years and I'll look at changing these one out.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/22 12:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

Durb wrote:

I've heard that if you have a blow out, drive immediately to the tire shop and replace the other tires as they are getting ready to go too. Could be automated manufacturing consistency causing a flaw to be continually and identically duplicated. I've had light bulbs on the same line burn out within 30 seconds from each other.

You might consider replacing the spare too. Glad you didn't have too much damage.

some people just have more money than they know what to do with. if you have a blow out and your tires are all 8 years old ya its time to look at chaning them out, but at 3 years old, even 5 years if they look like there in good shape why throw the money away.

Because tires are a hell of a lot cheaper than fixing RVs, cars/trucks, or most importantly people. The one time I had a blowout in a car I had bought a few months before the first stop was the tire shop. They told me Goodyear would prorate them since they were only 2 years old if I took them to the Goodyear shop on Monday (this was Saturday morning). I didn't care, I just wanted reliable tires on my car right then since I had almost ended up in a ditch at 50mph with my kids in the car. Btw, the fact that my favorite tire shop would send me to a competitor because it might save me a few bucks is why they get all my business, family run place that's as honest as the day is long, such a polar opposite from the one time I tried to have a simple brake job done at a chain yellow muffler place where my car basically got held hostage and I ended up paying nearly 2x what it should have cost.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/22 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There really is not enough information to form a reasonable opinion from the OP's statements. Many things can lead to premature failure of a tire. Age and brand are only a part of the equation. What is the trailer? is it loaded evenly? does it ride level?

I watched a guy this weekend hooking up his 5th wheel to his jacked up GMC. Nice combination, but with the trailer level, set up for camping, his truck could not fit under the front end of the trailer. They ran the front jacks way up to get the truck under it. The rear bumper was way low to the ground. Not even close to riding level. Do you think that guy should blame the tire manufacturers when he blows his rear tires? I almost went over to talk to him about reconsidering his setup, but I didn't. He must know he's not doing it right... Not suggesting the OP is similar, just stating there is more than what info we have here. Glad you got better tires.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/22 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My setup is stock and level and loaded evenly (FW and truck in the signature). I always check condition and psi before a trip. I also have a TPMS. Sure it's possible that something in the road caused an issue. Anything is possible. But if you read reviews on the tires that were stock on my FW, there's a lot of incredible blowouts on these tires and even mention of a class action lawsuit.

Anyway, yes I did mount a full set of much better tires.

Insurance is dragging their feet on the damage estimate for the trim.

* This post was edited 05/31/22 04:36pm by an administrator/moderator *

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Not one but two blowouts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.