|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rv Covers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
scout dad

okc

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/22 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, I have a question about rv covers as to how good they protect roofs? I looking to get a another trailer either new or used, I haven't been able to find a covered lot space and on waiting list at several sites. I know it would be a pain maybe to put on take off, with that said to they protect roofs from the elements, sun, hail, water etc..
anyone have actual knowledge they could pass on? Thanks

Lwiddis

Cambria, California area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/22 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TT covers are a pain but I like the protection covers give. Current favorite is the Goldline cover sold by nationalrvcovers.com.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/22 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree, not handy for frequent off and on changes but they work. I cleaned the grungy roof on a 4 year old trailer we bought last year. It looks good after being covered for the last 8 months and rain most of the time.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/22 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used rv covers for the past 17 yrs. Mostly adco brand which I have found to stand up a little better to weather in general. Cover goes on in late OCT and off in early april. I think it helps, makes a barrier between snow & ice and helps keep the trailer cleaner. IMO

Mike

2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/22 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we have a community RV lot. It's real easy to know which trailers have had covers on them when not in use for an extended period of time. Decals aren't all wrinkled, trim isn't yellow, sides are still reasonably glossy, not many black streaks....
yes, they are kind of a pain to install and store, but do help keep the trailer looking good. And in the summer it does help keep the interior cooler

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/22 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your worst enemy is going to be chafe. Add an extra layer on corners by taping folded terry towel over the corners to protect from the rubbing.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/22 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Covers can do well to protect your RV under certain circumstances. It's a sacrificial layer but not without their cons. They are a pain to put on and worse to take off especially if they are wet. They can rub paint and contact points can scratch. And storing them while you use your RV is challenging, and again, worse when wet. I used one for a while until it tore and became too much of a hassle. Too many times I wanted to use my RV and there was snow on it or it was wet and then the problem eclipsed the advantages. Frankly I find it easier to wax my rv every 6 mos and maintain the roof. Plus where we live in the coastal South, covers do more to attract mildew, bugs and tree frogs under the cover than they do to protect the RV. To each his own. I bet there are more folks out there who tried covers and gave up than people that continually use them.

And they won't really protect from hail. They are a paper thin breathable material.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

scout dad

okc

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/22 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info, I should be clear that I will using them not only during the winter but all year long. My current trailer has a roof leak, I only wanted something to help prolong the life of roof when a under covered spot.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/22 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scout dad wrote:

Thanks for the info, I should be clear that I will using them not only during the winter but all year long. My current trailer has a roof leak, I only wanted something to help prolong the life of roof when a under covered spot.

quality covers are NOT waterproof, they "breath" both ways. you want moisture to escape and trying to get a cover that won't let water through to the "inside" would be prohibitively expensive. It will keep down the amount of water going through but it won't stop it.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/22 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scout dad wrote:

You should fix your roof and not have to rely on a cover. Cover's aren't waterproof anyway. They breathe. While I have no idea what sort of leak you have, Dicor is cheaper and easier to apply than a cover. And you don't have continually put it on and take it off.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rv Covers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.