|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Buffing out hazing RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
arcsum68

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/22 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all, once again on the hunt for some advice. Back in Jan of this year I decided it was time to tackle the front cap of my TT that has become really hazy and chalky and was just looking terrible. I used Meguires Ultimate Compound to do the stripping and then finished up with the Meguires flagship premium marine wax.

Here is a before.

[image]

And after.

[image]

And here we are just shy of 6 months later and the haze is already coming back.

[image]

Did I do something wrong? It seems like the products I used were highly recommended. Is there something I can do to keep it looking shiny? Looking for any advice anyone can provide. Thanks!

* This post was edited 06/01/22 03:11pm by arcsum68 *

2005 Ford F150 5.4 Super Crew
2014 Fun Finder 233RBS

arcsum68

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/22 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is VERY upsetting, I spent a ton of time on this!

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/22 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The original protective coating on the Rv has already oxidized and is pretty much gone and changed chemical composition. While the products you used will protect it and give it a bit more shine, that will only last until the wax wears off. Waxes aren't permanent.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/22 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd be upset too. We too used Meguires and our dullness returned, but our FW is white so it doesn't show as much. I've seen here people talking about Poly glo and that it's a far superior product.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/22 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take it to a good auto detail shop, and ask them for a guarantee as to how long the shine will last.

I'd much rather spend my time doing something a little more fun [emoticon]

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

arcsum68

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/22 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank for the recommendation ReneeG. I already have the supplies to do this multiple times so I may just start over and finish with a ceramic coating. I am a very capable DIY detailer and have all the tools needed, I cannot justify to myself the cost to have someone do this for me as much as I would love to. To be honest I highly doubt they would guarantee anything anyway since I could just go home and apply a stripping agent to the work just to screw with them.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/22 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

arcsum68 wrote:

To be honest I highly doubt they would guarantee anything anyway since I could just go home and apply a stripping agent to the work just to screw with them.

Well, you obviously don't know much about detailing, as you can't "strip" the polished look off of a surface. I suppose you could sand it off, lol.
And that made no sense anyway...I mean, sure they may not guarantee the polish job for a length of time (I wouldn't) but you "could mess it up to mess with them" ROFLMAO.

It's the sun, bud. And half of that is streaking from water coming off the roof, not oxidation. More streaking in the last photo.
Either coat it with something. Ceramic, Poly glow or Zep floor polish, or keep it religiously waxed, or watch it happen again.
It's not you and it's not your camper specifically. It's the sun and the rain streaking.
PS, big rotary polisher = half day or less to cut and polish the cap. Couple hours if only needs polished. Pick your poison.

That's why many/most full time or stored outside uncovered campers look like a dogs breakfast after a few short years, unless they're impeccably maintained.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Lwiddis

Owens River area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/22 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is one of those reasons I didn’t buy a colored WInnebago trailer…and every one I see has this issue.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/22 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

arcsum68 wrote:

Thank for the recommendation ReneeG. I already have the supplies to do this multiple times so I may just start over and finish with a ceramic coating. I am a very capable DIY detailer and have all the tools needed, I cannot justify to myself the cost to have someone do this for me as much as I would love to. To be honest I highly doubt they would guarantee anything anyway since I could just go home and apply a stripping agent to the work just to screw with them.

I looked up the thread. It's not Polyglo, but instead Zep Floor Wax. Zep Floor Wax thread

arcsum68

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/22 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

arcsum68 wrote:

I looked up the thread. It's not Polyglo, but instead Zep Floor Wax. Zep Floor Wax thread

Thanks, I will look into this, looks very promising!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Buffing out hazing RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.