|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> CG Prices

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/22 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Preaching to the choir, beating a dead horse, etc etc I know but I still have to vent.

I've been camping my whole life and have had travel trailers for the past 18 years and never thought I would see site prices even come close to approaching what I have been seeing lately. Thankfully state parks (which we love and prefer) have kept prices somewhat flat, but we can rarely get a site at state parks. We are not year in advance planners outside of 1 trip each year so we rarely get in. We do it all from boondocking to "luxury RV resorts". The mid tier to "luxury" range has always been from $65-$150 that we have seen, and places like Fort wilderness up around $200. While looking for a site over memorial day weekend, we found a few near Ocean City MD, NJ, and elsewhere that we have used in the past (but not for the last 5 years) that ranged $200-$350 per night! Are they crazy?!?! It's a darn camp site not an all inclusive resort!! It's no wonder the few we found in that price point were not sold out over the holiday weekend. And, KOA's and others we looked at similar to KOA's are all over $100 now. We ended up boondocking and had a great time but we are finding our boondocks sites are far busier now likely because of it. I just can't believe anyone would pay even $150+ let alone $300+ per night at any RV resort / campground. For that price it should include food delivered to my camper, unlimited cocktails, and someone should come make my bed and clean my camper each day. I really hope people continue refusing the Sun RV and others like it so prices start dipping again. This is not inflation. This is "because we can" greed and its ruining camping for those of us without deep bank accounts.

Sorry for the rant ;-)

Lwiddis

Owens River area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/22 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just the money needed for a week in those expensive campgrounds will pay for a great Lithium battery. Another week gets you a good solar system. With almost unlimited electricity and reasonable water use, you can ditch them and boondock exclusively. That’s what I do.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/22 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah it's crazy. Who would have ever thought they'd be paying $7 for a gallon of gas or todays price for diesel.

Everything is going up, and the only cheap price was yesterday.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/22 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just making the bubble bigger!
Yup. Campground and resort owners are capitalizing as much as they can as well.
Covid campers spawned that. And now it continues and is getting worse.

No one ever said RVing is cheap but yes, cg prices are now making it prohibitive for many one would think, to “luxury” camp.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/22 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP must frequent fancier places than we do. We just completed our annual trek from Central Florida to Western New York and paid between $25 to $45 per nite with Full Hook-Up 50 amp for our 4 stop overs.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/22 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV “Resorts” will be more expensive than CG’s. RV anything near major areas, tourist areas, beaches, amusement parks, will be more expensive than those that are just along the way to them. We just took our great nephew to Carolina Pines RV Resort near Conway, SC and had a great time even though the main water park attraction was close for construction. They are adding more water stuff to do. It was a bit pricey but enough to do there, not too far from all the stuff in MB area without the traffic.

I prefer state parks especially those that still have lots of trees, but every now and then a full service resort is a nice change.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/22 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just remember inflation hits a park owner twice. Not only is their cost of doing business rising in every direction they also have to increase their bottom line to account for their personal costs of living rising as well.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/22 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfp673 wrote:

...KOA's and others we looked at similar to KOA's are all over $100 now.

The highest site rate at the Jonestown/Hershey PA KOA is currently $70.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/22 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When traveling back and forth from WA to SoCal I don't waste my money at a RV Resort. I stay at Rest Areas when I get tired for a few hours. I also stay at "Animal Clubs" CampGround at a minimal expense.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/22 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfp673 wrote:

Preaching to the choir, beating a dead horse, etc etc I know but I still have to vent.

I've been camping my whole life and have had travel trailers for the past 18 years and never thought I would see site prices even come close to approaching what I have been seeing lately. Thankfully state parks (which we love and prefer) have kept prices somewhat flat, but we can rarely get a site at state parks. We are not year in advance planners outside of 1 trip each year so we rarely get in. We do it all from boondocking to "luxury RV resorts". The mid tier to "luxury" range has always been from $65-$150 that we have seen, and places like Fort wilderness up around $200. While looking for a site over memorial day weekend, we found a few near Ocean City MD, NJ, and elsewhere that we have used in the past (but not for the last 5 years) that ranged $200-$350 per night! Are they crazy?!?! It's a darn camp site not an all inclusive resort!! It's no wonder the few we found in that price point were not sold out over the holiday weekend. And, KOA's and others we looked at similar to KOA's are all over $100 now. We ended up boondocking and had a great time but we are finding our boondocks sites are far busier now likely because of it. I just can't believe anyone would pay even $150+ let alone $300+ per night at any RV resort / campground. For that price it should include food delivered to my camper, unlimited cocktails, and someone should come make my bed and clean my camper each day. I really hope people continue refusing the Sun RV and others like it so prices start dipping again. This is not inflation. This is "because we can" greed and its ruining camping for those of us without deep bank accounts.

Sorry for the rant ;-)

If your talking about Frontiertown by Ocean City MD? Last year I recommended the resort campground to a friend who had a young family. They absolutely had a blast and are returning again this year. The placed is a true resort with a water park and loads of other amenities. I remember him commenting on how expensive the place was but I don't think it was in the $200 range but I could be wrong. also he didn't go on the Big 3 holidays so maybe he got a better deal.

This year were going to Sun Outdoors Association Island, NY I think I'm paying just over $110 per night, waterfront on Lake Ontario. [emoticon] Next year I was told prices go up because of the resort expanding.

Mike

* This post was edited 06/04/22 06:39pm by mdcamping *

2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> CG Prices
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.