RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: What size generator to run AC??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What size generator to run AC??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/22 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

... more expensive and more maintenance but combining a pair of 2000w generators is also viable

Personally, I would go this route instead of the much heavier 3000+W generators !

Assuming you are reasonably healthy, the bigger unit is my preference.

Only lifting is in or out of the truck (it sits just inside the tailgate). After that it pulls around on wheels.

The lifting is offset as the bigger units often come with electric start. If you are physically limited, yanking on the pull cord while bent over is likely to be challenging.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/22 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

You can't not argue with the durability of any of the Honda generators, but there are other good units on the market.

Not claiming Honda's have poor durability but you don't have an equal samples across brands.

Honda inverter generators have been around for around 20-25yrs, so having the stray story about one that's been kicking around for 15yrs is not surprising.

Many of the other brands haven't been around for 10yrs, so of course, there are no stories of them lasting for 15yrs.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/22 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Input based on actual experience.

We own a Honda eu3000i and two Westinghouse igen2500. The Honda is a very good generator. It is heavy and does have electric start. Ours is now being used as backup power for our home in storms. Even though we have two Westinghouse igen2500 we only use one at a time to power our camper. We have a 13500 airconditioner with no easystart. It runs the AC fine as we practice power management.

We are satisfied with both generator makes as each has its uses. We have used the Honda for about 8 years and the Westinghouse for two years.

Lwiddis

Owens River area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/22 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wizard's weight considerations, two 2000W generators, is the way I'd go.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

B-n-B

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/22 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run a Honda 2200 converted to LP. I also installed a Micro Air on the Coleman Mach. I've had zero problems and I appreciate the lower db and weight/size of the Honda. I've used this set up across a couple campers now and it's worked well for me.

2006 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4
5.9L Cummins

2019 Nash 23D

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/22 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Keep in mind, if you go with the 2000-2200w units, it's going to be running full throttle all the time...the noise estimates are typically based on 25% load. Result expect it to sound like a lawnmower engine.

By going to a bigger generator, it may be quieter even if it isn't rated as quiet as the smaller unit.

You really want something 3000w or higher (more expensive and more maintenance but combining a pair of 2000w generators is also viable)

I agree bigger is better for this application, but if a 2k sounds like a lawnmower, you cheaped out on the purchase.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/22 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

You can't not argue with the durability of any of the Honda generators, but there are other good units on the market.

Not claiming Honda's have poor durability but you don't have an equal samples across brands.

Honda inverter generators have been around for around 20-25yrs, so having the stray story about one that's been kicking around for 15yrs is not surprising.

Many of the other brands haven't been around for 10yrs, so of course, there are no stories of them lasting for 15yrs.

I doo.
In my line of work, we use generators almost exclusively for jobsite power. And generally they are Hondas with the odd Yamaha here n there if it's a little 1k or 2k.
And invariably, box store genny get purchased from time to time. Generally an immediate need has someone running to Homie Deport to get whatever will get them by. And they never last near as long (anecdotally as we don't catalog the lifespan of small tools), not even close.

For occasional and recreational use, I'm sue there are plenty that "work", but there is no comparison.
And power output to rated capacity. Had a job where we needed a bunch of little 1k-2k gennys. And being cost conscious, went and got some Costco "Yamahar" units. They worked fine for the little jobs powering flagger station lights. They wouldn't put out full power though when used to a high % of their rating.
But I've probably bought, used, wore out or destroyed more portable generators than most people have actually touched. So not the avg weekend warrior experience.

I believe this is a get what you pay for scenario. And your needs may not support spending the extra money.
For the camper genny when we got our first camper almost 10 years ago, I had the same dilemma. Spend almost $1000 on a Honda/Yami 2k or less than half on an off brand. Instead I bought a used Honda with under 100hrs on it for about $100 more than a china bomb genny.
Hasn't been used in 2 years now, that I remember. Had it stored with AV gas in it. Son used it this week to run the lights at the mtn bike track. 1 squirt of ether to light 'er up and off to the races.
AND if I don't want it, I got $400 into it and probably sell it for $500 tomorrow.

JMO

* This post was edited 06/10/22 10:29am by Grit dog *

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/22 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Assuming you are reasonably healthy, the bigger unit is my preference.

Only lifting is in or out of the truck ...

I can lift, just not on to the tailgate. Pull start is not an issue.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/22 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B-n-B wrote:

I run a Honda 2200 converted to LP. I also installed a Micro Air on the Coleman Mach.

IMHO, Micro Air is a MUST HAVE !

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/22 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Problem with a 2200W vs a 3500W is the 2200W will be wound out making gobs of noise while the 3500w will barely break idle running a 13,500ac.
I have both and much prefer the 3500w for running the AC and other stuff at the same time.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What size generator to run AC??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.