|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Insurance and RAM 5500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cliff and Michele

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/22 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bighatnohorse wrote:

Bedlam wrote:

USAA connected me to Progressive Commercial. They wrote up a commercial policy for exclusive personal use. My Ram 5500 is a 2015 model and I pay under $1k/year for full coverage.

Do you have an agent that you work with?
(I'm wondering how to get with an agent that I can communicate with and who understands what I'm asking.)

After talking to about five people from both Progressive and USAA I was finally connected to someone who REALLY knew her stuff. I think I was dealing with new hires who were not spun up on their jobs. I had to explain to one "agent" the difference between truck weight and GVWR. No clue. I am putting the camper on a flatbed. Another could not get through his head that the flatbed was not a towed trailer but mounted on the truck. Sarah Warner at USAA Commercial really knew her stuff. Wish I had her direct number, I would give it out.

So I got my insurance. Since the value of the truck and all its permanently mounted gear will be $125K and I set high liability limits, the cost is $3600 per year paid annually. Not a bargain but good, solid coverage. Going to look for camper insurance more now. I had to explain to someone that a truck camper is removable. I really think it is just people not well trained thrust out into the call center but I should not have to train them.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/22 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bighatnohorse wrote:

(I'm wondering how to get with an agent that I can communicate with and who understands what I'm asking.)

The sub agent USAA used for Progressive Commercial was United Financial Casualty 800-444-4487

My rates were discounted for veteran service, full payment for the year and no accidents, tickets or claims

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/22 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cliff and Michele wrote:

bighatnohorse wrote:

Bedlam wrote:

USAA connected me to Progressive Commercial. They wrote up a commercial policy for exclusive personal use. My Ram 5500 is a 2015 model and I pay under $1k/year for full coverage.

After talking to about five people from both Progressive and USAA I was finally connected to someone who REALLY knew her stuff. I think I was dealing with new hires who were not spun up on their jobs. I had to explain to one "agent" the difference between truck weight and GVWR. No clue. I am putting the camper on a flatbed. Another could not get through his head that the flatbed was not a towed trailer but mounted on the truck. Sarah Warner at USAA Commercial really knew her stuff. Wish I had her direct number, I would give it out.

So I got my insurance. Since the value of the truck and all its permanently mounted gear will be $125K and I set high liability limits, the cost is $3600 per year paid annually. Not a bargain but good, solid coverage. Going to look for camper insurance more now. I had to explain to someone that a truck camper is removable. I really think it is just people not well trained thrust out into the call center but I should not have to train them.

Glad you got it figured out, but fwiw, that is WAY high, if you're a low risk customer (credit score, accidents, tickets, qualify for discounts etc).
And that doesn't even include the camper?
The TC, even a new expensive one should be under $500/year.
Also, unsure what you meant about setting high liability coverage because the truck is expensive.
Comp and collision cover the truck. Liability covers you when you get sued. Not totally, but somewhat mutually exclusive of the vehicle or it's value. Liability limits should be what your comfortable with whether you're driving a Honda civic or your 5500.
And even if you took, say, a $2M umbrella policy on top of the auto policy liability, swag guess is that would be $500/year tops.

JMO

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

greenno

Clairemont Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/22 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what my insurance broker told me about Homeowner insurance coverage is if the object you want insured is able to purchase insurance separately it won't be covered by the main policy.
Like a bike, lawnmower or such. But since I could actually get insurance for the camper they would not cover it on my policy. Just my .02

mike/kellie

northern calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/22 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This might not apply to your truck now. But most likely it was shipped and sold as an incomplete vehicle. My insurance company knows the value of my custom service body plus the trucks value. It's obviously insured for the sum of both.

2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

PButler96

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/22 03:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Glad you got it figured out, but fwiw, that is WAY high,

$3600 year? For one vehicle? Ya think? Naaaaaaa? Is insurance that much more expensive out there? Im pretty sure I could insure a nose picking teenager driving a Hellcat, Roush Stang, or ZR1 Vette for less than that.

I have a burn barrel in my yard.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/22 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I really think it is just people not well trained thrust out into the call center but I should not have to train them."

Even experienced agents don't come across rigs like yours on a daily, weekly, or even monthly basis. You have a VERY specialized rig, and can't reasonably expect everyone, or anyone in the car/minivan/suv department to know what you're talking about, especially when you make it unnecessarily complicated.

I'm positive I could have that truck insured to your satisfaction on my Geico policy in <5 minutes using their online interface.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/22 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I think I was dealing with new hires who were not spun up on their jobs.

Hit the nail on the head. My agent (71 years old) complains about the loss of knowledge with the new generation of agents.
I think shopping for a good agent is more important than shopping for "rates".

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/22 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PButler96 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Glad you got it figured out, but fwiw, that is WAY high,

$3600 year? For one vehicle? Ya think? Naaaaaaa? Is insurance that much more expensive out there? Im pretty sure I could insure a nose picking teenager driving a Hellcat, Roush Stang, or ZR1 Vette for less than that.

Not even probably...our now 19 year old has been insured since 16 with either a SRT8 or Mustang GT as his primary vehicle for less than $200/mo including the car full coverage and teenage male driver penalty.

To the OP, FWIW, insurance companies are just like any other for profit business and will charge whatever they think they can get away with. And will lose customers over it.
We generally have to switch every 5-10 years when the random, "Your rates went up by 40% this year "market adjustment" justification."
Yet able to get much better rates with another top tier insurer.

Never know what the OP has on record though. I don't recall seeing him/her claim no tickets/at fault accidents or large claims in recent years.

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/22 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bighatnohorse wrote:

I think shopping for a good agent is more important than shopping for "rates".

I guess you can put your faith in agents, but if you don't ask the right questions, you'll never get the best rate. For instance, what's the difference in price between $250 and 1000 deductible? It can be huge. Can I get a reduced rate for Winter if I'm not driving that vehicle?, etc.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Insurance and RAM 5500
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.