|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F150 Lightning Road Trip & Ike Gauntlet Pull

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/22 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

EVs at this point are totally viable for most daily driving purposes around town or even reasonable rural distances. They are not viable as towing vehicles or long distance road trip vehicles - until battery or charging technology changes that's going to be the case.

I don’t know. I would say they are not viable for any kind of commercial tow vehicle. But for us RVers they work for many of us who are okay with a 20 minute break every couple hours on the road. Heck. It’s rare we do 600 kilometres at a pop when RVing. 200 to 400 is more common for us although we just blasted thru Manitoba and Western Ontario in a few longer days. Meh. For many RVers it’s probably manageable. We’ve got over 5000 kilometres behind us on this trip and 7000 to go. The actual towing experience is superior to any comparable gas SUV and trailer combo. To each his own of course.

Cheers and safe travels all.

Lwiddis

Cambria, California area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/22 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ferndale, in response to your concern we have already received advisories in SoCal to not charge your EV at home during the late afternoon early evening.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/22 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

EVs at this point are totally viable for most daily driving purposes around town or even reasonable rural distances. They are not viable as towing vehicles or long distance road trip vehicles - until battery or charging technology changes that's going to be the case.

This statement should just end the conversation and close the thread. Totally accurate and concise.
Unless one is the perpetual Sunday driver and doesn’t have a schedule to meet, either real or self imposed, and likes to take more “breaks” while driving and considers a full day on the road a short trip by normal standards.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/22 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

TFL drove the new F150 Lightning from Michigan to Colorado

Test Configuration: Mostly highway miles at 70-75 mph
Total Miles: 1225
Total Charging Time: ~ 5 hours

Summary: (Fail) Efficiency at highway speeds and charging time

Previous Test was the Rivian towing a small trailer up the Ike and the summary was an Epic Fail

Spoiler Alert: Pretty sure the towing test with the Lightning will fall into the Epic Fail category.

Link

After watching the video, I think you need to add more context to this to further your point. The charging of five hours was on top of overnight charging while they slept. They had to stop 11 times to charge which includes 1 overnight charge. I think some people who haven't seen the video are thinking that it was just 5 hours charging without charging overnight.

Also, this 5 hours based on charging time on their app and does not include all the time they spent going off course in order to get to a charger along the route.

Your right...I originally was going to include those times, but I decided to error on the side of being optimistic since there's hotels with chargers. Having said that the charger at that particular hotel didn't have much charge capacity.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/22 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sad that it will take TFL a couple years to see the good in it.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/22 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

After watching the video, I think you need to add more context to this to further your point. The charging of five hours was on top of overnight charging while they slept. They had to stop 11 times to charge which includes 1 overnight charge. I think some people who haven't seen the video are thinking that it was just 5 hours charging without charging overnight.

Also, this 5 hours based on charging time on their app and does not include all the time they spent going off course in order to get to a charger along the route.

Chit...and I would have signed out at just 5 hours to "re-fuel." Probably started the trip with a fresh set of Duracells too!
Considering that trip is 3 or 4 15 minute gas stops in an "average" new half ton truck....

And before the "You need to eat, pee, rest, go shopping, whatever, during the trip" crowd chimes in, good for you, and I agree, sort of, what if you're a driver and not a site see-er drivin miss daisy tourist? Or what if you'd prefer to stop to "eat" where you want to eat, be it somewhere quiet or your favorite restaurant, vs mooch docking a charger station at wherever aint?

Take the state of North Dakota, dart board on the map.
31 Charging stations total in the state. Not bad I suppose for a state that has twice as many beef cattle as it has people!
Cool, Imma take my re-incarnated Ford Lightning for a trip.
4 of the chargers are Tesla chargers....no biggy, didn't need them anyway, every town with a Tesla charger also has a universal one.

Cool, I'll go to the next...town?....nope gotta go find that one other charger in town. OOPs, its a level 2.....An average EV will gain about 15-40 miles per hour of Level 2 charging and will fully charge from empty overnight.... guess my piss break and a Subway sandwich turned into a sleep over. That's ok, there's a level 3 just down the road (there are 9 level 3s in the state), so it'll only be like 4 hours of charging to go that next 100 miles cause I'm headed west into the wind....

Guessing they won't sell too many of them in ND! LOL

* This post was edited 06/15/22 02:08pm by Grit dog *

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/22 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The biggest thing I took away from the video isn't the shortcomings of the truck, but rather the infrastructure - or lack thereof. Inconsistencies in charging networks, where stations are, the rate of charge at stations, rate of pricing, logistics to actually find stations etc. This is the Achilles of EV - especially long distance travel. That will eventually get fixed though. But it won't address inconsistencies in network and pricing. I smell government regulation and when that happens how will EV's be any better or cheaper to drive/own than an ICE? Power will be regulated and taxed just like gas. Based on the video, the price to charge didn't seem like a big win over gas fueling especially when you consider your time (time = money).

To me EV's are different, not better. Especially given ecologically damaging methods to produce and a continual reliance on energy and how that energy is produced.

The touted advantages are measured at the tailpipe. I haven't been convinced that true lifecycle impacts are any better than ICE's. In some aspects, EV's are worse.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/22 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going to chime in and show my age here. I think the vehicle and its capabilities are great. However, the charging circus has to go. Having to map out a charging strategy on a trip and use 4 different aps on your phone to find a suitable place is problematic for someone like me. Maybe if you have a compliant copilot, but doing that stuff on the go is the very definition of "distracted driving". 5 hours of recharge time is a deal killer for me, impatient as I am. Talk about range anxiety and stress. Road trips for me are supposed to be enjoyable.

Another thing. Who would hurtle a 7,000 pound rig down the highway with their hands off the steering wheel? I don't get it. GM has a commercial showing a man driving with no hands and his daughter is sitting in the back seat! I see class action suits at some point possibly bankrupting a manufacturer for offering a crazy option that I doubt anyone was clamoring for. I hope Blue Cruise can't be enabled when towing. Do members on this forum really want to be going down the freeway at 25k combined with their hands off the steering wheel?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/22 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

Going to chime in and show my age here. I think the vehicle and its capabilities are great. However, the charging circus has to go. Having to map out a charging strategy on a trip and use 4 different aps on your phone to find a suitable place is problematic for someone like me. Maybe if you have a compliant copilot, but doing that stuff on the go is the very definition of "distracted driving". 5 hours of recharge time is a deal killer for me, impatient as I am. Talk about range anxiety and stress. Road trips for me are supposed to be enjoyable.

Another thing. Who would hurtle a 7,000 pound rig down the highway with their hands off the steering wheel? I don't get it. GM has a commercial showing a man driving with no hands and his daughter is sitting in the back seat! I see class action suits at some point possibly bankrupting a manufacturer for offering a crazy option that I doubt anyone was clamoring for. I hope Blue Cruise can't be enabled when towing. Do members on this forum really want to be going down the freeway at 25k combined with their hands off the steering wheel?

On the upside, you'll have plenty of time NOT behind the wheel waiting to recharge the Energizers to map out your next charger stop!

And to the contrary, I could and would TOTALLY make use of autopilot!
I wonder, will autopilot let you break traffic laws, like speed limits in particular? Because if it doesn't then it's a deal breaker!

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/22 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a heads up for those wondering about infrastructure. It’s definitely different towing with a Tesla. I’m just catching up on the thread, munching my sandwich at the pointe des cascades campground in Quebec. We just pulled in. I haven’t confirmed it but my guess is I am about 5200 kilometres from our home in BC. We have been on the road towing our 18 foot travel trailer behind our Tesla model Y. We have had zero charging drama with our combo. Pull in, connect to the charger and walk away. And yes a typical supercharger stop is 20 to 30 minutes. Or if we want to have a slower extended charge so we can have lunch, shop or whatever we will occasionally use 3rd party networks using our adaptor.

Anyway, just my 2 cents from an RVer who pulls a trailer everyday with an EV. Charging is just not that big a deal. And yes, even when charging at superchargers it’s a lot cheaper by electric, and the towing experience is superior.

Cheers.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F150 Lightning Road Trip & Ike Gauntlet Pull
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.