RV.Net Open Roads Forum: F150 Lightning Road Trip & Ike Gauntlet Pull

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > F150 Lightning Road Trip & Ike Gauntlet Pull

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/08/2002

View Profile



Posted: 06/15/22 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Just a heads up for those wondering about infrastructure. It’s definitely different towing with a Tesla. I’m just catching up on the thread, munching my sandwich at the pointe des cascades campground in Quebec. We just pulled in. I haven’t confirmed it but my guess is I am about 5200 kilometres from our home in BC. We have been on the road towing our 18 foot travel trailer behind our Tesla model Y. We have had zero charging drama with our combo. Pull in, connect to the charger and walk away. And yes a typical supercharger stop is 20 to 30 minutes. Or if we want to have a slower extended charge so we can have lunch, shop or whatever we will occasionally use 3rd party networks using our adaptor.

Anyway, just my 2 cents from an RVer who pulls a trailer everyday with an EV. Charging is just not that big a deal. And yes, even when charging at superchargers it’s a lot cheaper by electric, and the towing experience is superior.

Cheers.

[image]
I don't see an RV in the picture.


Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountryC CD/A 4X4 DRW



Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/15/22 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Just a heads up for those wondering about infrastructure. It’s definitely different towing with a Tesla. I’m just catching up on the thread, munching my sandwich at the pointe des cascades campground in Quebec. We just pulled in. I haven’t confirmed it but my guess is I am about 5200 kilometres from our home in BC. We have been on the road towing our 18 foot travel trailer behind our Tesla model Y. We have had zero charging drama with our combo. Pull in, connect to the charger and walk away. And yes a typical supercharger stop is 20 to 30 minutes. Or if we want to have a slower extended charge so we can have lunch, shop or whatever we will occasionally use 3rd party networks using our adaptor.

Anyway, just my 2 cents from an RVer who pulls a trailer everyday with an EV. Charging is just not that big a deal. And yes, even when charging at superchargers it’s a lot cheaper by electric, and the towing experience is superior.

Cheers.

[image]
I don't see an RV in the picture.


Zoom out or put your bifocals on…


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/15/22 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Changed the title of this thread to include the Ike Gauntlet pull.

Here's a comparison of the Lightning versus the Power Boost Hybrid. Power on the lightning is downright impressive and certainly better battery performance compared to the Rivian. The Lightning is the second truck to date not requiring any brake applications during the downhill test.

Link

Given the choice of the full electric or hybrid I would have to go the hybrid route.

* This post was edited 06/15/22 05:22pm by FishOnOne *


'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"250k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"


Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/15/22 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While the others play catch up in terms of infrastructure Tesla has figured it out to a large degree.
At this point all the others are still playing catch up.
Tesla has really changed the game. Once you understand the ICE is obsolete you will see that charging stations and batteries are the next big hurdle but it is only a matter of time before these hurdles are overcome.
I imagine when the model T came on the scene it took awhile for people to park their horse and buggy. I imagine it also took awhile before there was gas available on every corner nationwide.
The challenge for the Wright bros. was creating the plane. Figuring out where to build airports was the easy part.
Tesla has shown that the ICE can be replaced with a motor more similar to a vaccuum cleaner than a car engine
Pistons, fuel injection,cams shafts,large transmissions,radiators, manifolds,mufflers.+ are all eliminated....let that sink in!!! THe are to trunks on a Tesla and no real engine compartment. There is no heat to dissapate.
Tesla is real and working. Figuring out where to put charging stations is the easy part. OK not that easy but certainly doable.
EV is here to stay all the auto manufacturers realize the ICE is dead and have committed to EV even though they have not totally sorted things out like Tesla.
The challenge now is to change the public mindset and understanding of EV as well as adapting and creating the infrastructure to suport it.
There is also the challenge of who is going to reap the profits. There will be winners and losers. Exxon Mobil is not going away without a fight. Many of us had VCR's and Blockbuster cards that are now worthless.
Going green is as much about the battle over the money $$$ as it is the battle over the enviroment.
Change is coming.....Wired internet is going away totally wireless routers are the future.
It happens fast, keep looking forward not backwards.....nothing behind you but: pay phones, VCR's, DVD's, horse and buggy's, tube TV's,land line phones and ICE's!


19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide


time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/15/22 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

After watching the video, I think you need to add more context to this to further your point. The charging of five hours was on top of overnight charging while they slept.
The first night they pulled in a 3am and slept until 8am. I think TFL failed to get a night sleep.
I would consider 12 hours to be an overnight charge. Pull in by 8pm, leave 8am.
This could cut into driving safely the next day. (TFL fail)


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/08/2002

View Profile



Posted: 06/15/22 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

After watching the video, I think you need to add more context to this to further your point. The charging of five hours was on top of overnight charging while they slept.
The first night they pulled in a 3am and slept until 8am. I think TFL failed to get a night sleep.
I would consider 12 hours to be an overnight charge. Pull in by 8pm, leave 8am.
This could cut into driving safely the next day. (TFL fail)
You would have never survived in my family... I'm a farmers kid. I get more done before sunrise than most do all day. I wouldn't have it any other way.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/15/22 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

You would have never survived in my family... I'm a farmers kid. I get more done before sunrise than most do all day. I wouldn't have it any other way.
And 3 am to bed? You are one of the lucky few if you function normal on 5 hours sleep.

I hear more about the 200 miles or 2pm cut off for a lot of RVers.

Five hours rest does not even satisfy a truckers log.

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/16/22 04:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:



Five hours rest does not even satisfy a truckers log.


But you forget truckdrivers are not as strong as RVers. A driver likely moves his rig 40-60 hours a week, and regulations say those punks got to log 10 hours in sleeper before he can drive after working 14 hours.(and only 11 of 14 can be driving)
OTOH, many RVers that drive maybe 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year, thinks it is fine to drive his desk 40 hours a week, get off on Friday night load wife and kids, drive 1000-1500 miles I ain't wasting my vacation!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/16/22 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

The biggest thing I took away from the video isn't the shortcomings of the truck, but rather the infrastructure - or lack thereof. Inconsistencies in charging networks, where stations are, the rate of charge at stations, rate of pricing, logistics to actually find stations etc. This is the Achilles of EV - especially long distance travel. That will eventually get fixed though. But it won't address inconsistencies in network and pricing. I smell government regulation and when that happens how will EV's be any better or cheaper to drive/own than an ICE? Power will be regulated and taxed just like gas. Based on the video, the price to charge didn't seem like a big win over gas fueling especially when you consider your time (time = money).


Once EVs make up more than 1% of the market, we will see charging sort itself out (yes I'm exaggerating a bit and it will still take several years).

Right now, charging stations are largely subsidized to push the agenda along rather than the market driving it. Get to 20-30% EVs and the market will solve it because it's profitable to solve it.

I can see EVs taking over a large percentage of the vehicle market. Certain niches they are already there (school busses, local delivery vans, commuter cars). Long haul trucking, RVs, folks who do a lot of driving each day...we are going to see ICE retained as the primary propulsion system for a very long time.

Yes, there will be exceptions but it's just not viable with current technology.

PS: One interesting question. The bulk of gasoline is used by commuter cars. If we convert those over, there will be a surplus of gasoline. The main reason trucks originally went diesel is it was a cheaper fuel. Will we start to see trucks fitted with gasoline engines (yes, you can make durable high power gasoline engines...it just wasn't a priority when diesel was a cheaper option).


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/16/22 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

While the others play catch up in terms of infrastructure Tesla has figured it out to a large degree.
At this point all the others are still playing catch up.
Tesla has really changed the game. Once you understand the ICE is obsolete you will see that charging stations and batteries are the next big hurdle but it is only a matter of time before these hurdles are overcome.
I imagine when the model T came on the scene it took awhile for people to park their horse and buggy. I imagine it also took awhile before there was gas available on every corner nationwide.
The challenge for the Wright bros. was creating the plane. Figuring out where to build airports was the easy part.
Tesla has shown that the ICE can be replaced with a motor more similar to a vaccuum cleaner than a car engine
Pistons, fuel injection,cams shafts,large transmissions,radiators, manifolds,mufflers.+ are all eliminated....let that sink in!!! THe are to trunks on a Tesla and no real engine compartment. There is no heat to dissapate.
Tesla is real and working. Figuring out where to put charging stations is the easy part. OK not that easy but certainly doable.
EV is here to stay all the auto manufacturers realize the ICE is dead and have committed to EV even though they have not totally sorted things out like Tesla.
The challenge now is to change the public mindset and understanding of EV as well as adapting and creating the infrastructure to suport it.
There is also the challenge of who is going to reap the profits. There will be winners and losers. Exxon Mobil is not going away without a fight. Many of us had VCR's and Blockbuster cards that are now worthless.
Going green is as much about the battle over the money $$$ as it is the battle over the enviroment.
Change is coming.....Wired internet is going away totally wireless routers are the future.
It happens fast, keep looking forward not backwards.....nothing behind you but: pay phones, VCR's, DVD's, horse and buggy's, tube TV's,land line phones and ICE's!


What have they figured out? An isolated ecosystem of chargers that is still far too small is likely going to become antiquated and die off. This is why Tesla tried to "give away" it's patents, so they could become the dominant charging standard and later they could profit off it.

Electric motors have been better than ICE going back to the 1800's. The problem has been and continues to be energy storage. The current solution is to keep adding more batteries and bringing down the price via economy of scale but those limits are being reached and the supply of minerals for batteries may soon reverse those cost improvements.

For all their complexity, the modern ICE is incredibly reliable. Most cars go to the junkyard with a functional engine.

Yes, manufacturers have realized that govt mandates are here...at least for now. As the old saying goes, "you don't fight city hall".

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > F150 Lightning Road Trip & Ike Gauntlet Pull
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.