RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Got the insurance money but I can't I do this myself?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Got the insurance money but I can't I do this myself?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Online
Posted: 06/16/22 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. I'll chew on it a bit. My only concerns is that when I get into the work I discover more damage than originally seen that is outside of skillset to fix. That's why the adjuster said that the end price may be more as they get into it.


2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/16/22 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just over 5k damage for this. I think I will fix it my self.

You can see there are three colors to match on the "J" wrap plus the two vertical pcs of trim at each end of the slide has to be removed. For the time and money I will straighten out the bent portion and buy new wheel well trim and have it painted. I also have a plan to make a pc of sheetmetal to cap the damaged under belly and simply straighten out and paint the support pc. At least 4 grand in my pocket.

Last pic is pre damage.

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/16/22 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it was structural/safety related, I could see a potential issue if you don't do it right, the insurance company may try to deny a future claim if they can associate it with your repair.

Sounds like it's cosmetic, so as long as you do a decent job, I don't see why not.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


phillyg

SWFL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/24/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/16/22 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I encourage you to give it a try. Will probably end up better than done by others.


--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Online
Posted: 06/16/22 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So - minor fly in the ointment. I crawled underneath and took a closer look under to see if I could notice anything else. There are a series of supports, welded angle supports, underneath that look like they support the slide. 2 of those above the wheel well where the tires blew are bent. The slide works fine but I would consider this a structural component and I sold all my welding equipment years ago. Based on that I think I am going to need to take it to a shop. To Valhalla's point, anything structural that I fix could negate any warranty or claim later. I already paid my deductible so there's nothing further out of pocket for me. I just don't get the labor in my pocket, but I am no worse off than I was. Thanks for the replies and support.

ol Bombero-JC

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/24/2004

View Profile



Posted: 06/26/22 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Just over 5k damage for this. I think I will fix it my self.

You can see there are three colors to match on the "J" wrap plus the two vertical pcs of trim at each end of the slide has to be removed. For the time and money I will straighten out the bent portion and buy new wheel well trim and have it painted. I also have a plan to make a pc of sheetmetal to cap the damaged under belly and simply straighten out and paint the support pc. At least 4 grand in my pocket.

Last pic is pre damage.



What brand are/were the tires ??

.

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/26/22 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ol Bombero-JC wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Just over 5k damage for this. I think I will fix it my self.

You can see there are three colors to match on the "J" wrap plus the two vertical pcs of trim at each end of the slide has to be removed. For the time and money I will straighten out the bent portion and buy new wheel well trim and have it painted. I also have a plan to make a pc of sheetmetal to cap the damaged under belly and simply straighten out and paint the support pc. At least 4 grand in my pocket.

Last pic is pre damage.



What brand are/were the tires ??

.


Well there is only ONE company that will actually pay for damages. Besides that the pictures I posted clearly show the brand.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/27/22 02:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you even talked to a Paint shop? I think you will be surprised by the COST of what seems to be a simple paint job. I think you will overrun your costs and since(if) you cashed the check you are stuck. Doug

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Online
Posted: 06/27/22 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Have you even talked to a Paint shop? I think you will be surprised by the COST of what seems to be a simple paint job. I think you will overrun your costs and since(if) you cashed the check you are stuck. Doug


Not sure if this question was directed back at me (the OP) but based on the outrigger supports being bent, I took it to a shop to have them do the work. They did mention that it will likely be more than the original estimate but the insurance company is aware and will deal with paying any adjustments.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/27/22 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, it was to you. Have you tried to get a Paint estimate? Did you cash the check? Doug

* This post was edited 06/29/22 09:05am by an administrator/moderator *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Got the insurance money but I can't I do this myself?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.