|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 2019 Kodiak water in wheel well

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bkenobi

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/22 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sealed the couple gaps I found with Great Stuff Black which is designed for ponds and other outdoor environments that will come in contact with standing water and create a watertight seal (I've used it in my basement to seal a gap around a copper pipe and it's held up great). After letting it set for a few days as a precaution, I poured water over it and initially thought all was good. Then I tried every other location where the spray foam was and realized it's not even close to a sealed gap. In some places, they put the spray foam on the outside of the metal fender well meaning it actually captures water running down the side and forces it inside.

[image]

So it appears I have a few choices.
  1. Reseal the fender with silicon and walk away covering my ears repeating "nanananana"
  2. Replace the silicon with Proflex and cross my fingers
  3. Reinstall the plastic fender flare with a bead of butyl tape
  4. Find a product to cap seal the spray foam/gap (undercoating, rubber spray, etc)
  5. Cut out all the spray foam and install Great Stuff Black

Although I'm really tempted to try option 5, I suspect that's not going to be realistic to actually seal things. My best bet I think is to use butyl tape, but there isn't a lot of edge to work with so I'm not sure it will work.

[image]

I guess I'll do that first and if it appears it won't hold a seal, I'll fall back to Proflex. I find this an asinine design to be the standard!

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/22 01:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cut the spray foam level with the siding and wrap the entire corner in eternabond using a wrap applicator tool to form it to the curves?

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

bkenobi

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/22 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

Cut the spray foam level with the siding and wrap the entire corner in eternabond using a wrap applicator tool to form it to the curves?

That sounds like a good option. Does eternabond survive against road salt?

Double_Haul

Bay Area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/22 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The plastic fender trim is just decoration, and on my trailer, has nothing to do with sealing the unit. It shouldnt require any butyl tape.
My wheel well sheet metal was never sealed against the siding at the factory and resulted in water gathering and rotting the osb floor. Major work to fix.

2016 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab, Duramax
2005 Terry 270FQS
2006 North River 20' Seahawk

bkenobi

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/22 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Double_Haul wrote:

The plastic fender trim is just decoration, and on my trailer, has nothing to do with sealing the unit. It shouldnt require any butyl tape.
My wheel well sheet metal was never sealed against the siding at the factory and resulted in water gathering and rotting the osb floor. Major work to fix.

Sounds like this situation. What did you use to seal the metal wheel well to the wall? I'm heavily leaning towards cutting the spray foam flush and installing a strip of 2" eternabond. I can access most of the length currently but would have to pull the metal skirt to access the last few inches front and back.

bkenobi

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/22 10:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I decided the best option was to start by removing the spray foam. I needed to figure out if it was open or closed cell anyway (it's closed cell). So now I have a blank canvas except for the residue. Can I install eternabond tape over the spray foam residue or will that compromise the seal?

[image]
[image]

Second, I'm assuming I'm going to have to pull the skirt back to get that area sealed. I don't like the idea of ignoring it but it looks like a royal pain to get it off. I can remove the screws, but I'm guessing the metal is sealed on with silicon. To reinstall, I'd assume I'll have to clean the silicon first. Just seems like opening a can of worms!

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

If there's an easier way and I'm over complicating this, I'd appreciate experienced comments!

PButler96

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/22 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would scrape off the spray foam. Re attach the sheet metal, mask off inside the skirt line and spray everything with rubberized undercoating, then reinstall the skirts back caulking the screws, followed by caulking them with geocell proflexRV.

bkenobi

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/22 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can the sheet metal fwnder tray be removed? There are a few screws holdi g the vertical tabs on but im sure its bolted on too. If it comes off without huge disassembly inside that would work.

If the tab had more screws attaching it i would consider butyl tape all the way around as well as proflex caulking.

bkenobi

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/22 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I talked to dealer they recommended caulking. I assumed that meant cap seal over spray foam so wasn't interested. I looked up the product (DAP 230) and see that it would work well in the crack as it can fill up to 1" wide and remain flexible up to 600% (presumably meaning 1" could expand to 6"). I like proflex, but it cracks with minimal expansion so this might work here.

Only thing i dont like is that cleanup of cured caulk is cut/scrape.

bkenobi

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/22 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PButler96 wrote:

I would scrape off the spray foam. Re attach the sheet metal, mask off inside the skirt line and spray everything with rubberized undercoating, then reinstall the skirts back caulking the screws, followed by caulking them with geocell proflexRV.

I reread your comment and think I understand your intent. The sheet metal was held onto the side of the trailer with ~3 screws for the entire ~6' span. I believe you are suggesting to add more screws to properly attach the sheet metal to the side and then use undercoating spray to cover the joint. Once cured, reinstall the plastic fender flare and caulk with proflex.

This is basically what I was originally suggesting except using eternabond instead of undercoating. Except, I don't know if eternabond is able to withstand road salts but undercoating certainly should be.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 2019 Kodiak water in wheel well
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.