RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Where have all the members gone on this forum?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Where have all the members gone on this forum?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev
Sponsored By:
shelbyfv

TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/22 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^ I'll have to disagree with the censorship complaint. I've found this forum to be well moderated. Moderation these days seems to mostly consist of keeping folks from injecting their politics into every discussion. Political snipes should be quickly removed, IMO. There isn't any reason we should be aware of another member's political persuasion.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/22 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This particular forum is fine, but there is one here that has some very heavy-handed censorship, and dissenting opinions are not allowed. I think we all know which it is.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/22 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

This particular forum is fine, but there is one here that has some very heavy-handed censorship, and dissenting opinions are not allowed. I think we all know which it is.

Yeah, just had another comment deleted there today. No reason, no breaking any rule, wasn't mean. It was my opinion, apparently different than the mod. That's not moderating, it's censorship.

I hope someone is watching and understands the impact it has on forum contribution.

Several users all cite the same issue and usually with the same mod. it's a problem.

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

CORNFED "5-0"

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/22 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back when the site was “Woodalls Open Roads Forum” the number of active members posting was much higher. For some reason, when it all changed to “RV.NET” droves of people failed or just did not want to make the change.

I have to admit that even I did not want to give up Woodalls. I grew up looking at a Woodalls camping catalog and AAA maps, excited to plan a summer adventure. Woodalls Open Roads Fourm was a lot more active back then, then RV.NET is today. This site, is in no way, as fun to be on as it was when it was when it was Woodalls open roads Fourm. Not sure why.

I know that many people disapprove of Camping World, Marcus and the way the site has changed. I personally have no issues with Camping World or Marcus but, this site could use a little nostalgia overtones from the Woodalls days.

Go back to the layout of the old page titles, easy to post pictures, less commercial business type junk and get back to the old style of family Campimg and the out doors, the excitement of summer vacations, winter trips and good old outdoor fun.

It seems like most of the people on here are “Snow Birds” or Desert Rats” that just a ***** and complain about everything or just plain arguing.

Yes, I am complaining now.

The “Feel” and excitement of reading everybody’s adventures and information needs is gone.

JMHO,

FYI, with my opinion and a dollar, you still can not afford a cup of coffee.

Ruby Red 2016 F450 Crew-cab, 2008, 36' Cardinal.
Two daughters, Wife and me.

Retired with no free time!

ON THE SQUARE

dedmiston

Coast to Coast

Administrator

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/22 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're almost five weeks into this thread and I think we've said as much as there is to say. I'm going to call this one done.

I guess my parting words on the whole "censorship" thing are that it would truly be less work for me to never delete a post or close a thread. Most of us are lazy by nature and the lazy part of me loves to leave things alone.

But the part of me that agreed to help out when they asked me 17 years ago knows that I committed to do what needs to be done. Enforcing the forum rules is the easy part since they're pretty black and white. The part that people like to call "censorship" is the hard part. That's where we have to delete or edit the posts that cross too far into the realm of the unkind. This thread is a great example of the question "Where have all the members gone on this forum?" My Libertarian inclination is to let things run a little longer than I probably should. The consequence is that a lot of the louder & meaner voices have created an unfriendly atmosphere that drove off so many of the kinder gentler members. I regret this and I wish I had enough wisdom and more of a crystal ball to foresee the future. But I don't. I can take responsibility for my own actions (or more often my inactions), but I believe that the blame lies with the ones who have posted unkind things for so long.

I guess my only other thought is to answer the question that the trolls ask me over and over: "Why did you delete my post if it didn't break any of the rules?"

The easy answer is "Quit being a jerk and I'll quit deleting your posts." But the more nuanced answer is "It's rarely what you say, but how you say it." I just wish more people could put themselves in their fellow members' shoes and try to imagine how they'd feel when reading these rotten snarky responses. It blows my mind that it's so hard for people to practice the Golden Rule: Treat others as you would want to be treated.

And if your response to that is that you don't mind when people are mean to you, then it's probably time for you to show yourself to the door.

Anyway, this has mostly been an interesting and insightful discussion. And you're all free to help to bump up the tone of this place and make it more welcoming and more likely to attract and sustain growing membership. None of us has any control over the competition of other services like Facebook or even the frustrations from the buggy nature of this site. But we all have 100% control over what we say and how we say it. That part is up to you.

For the most part though, I'm grateful for the good members who have participated and helped throughout the years. You're the ones who are helping to keep our roads safe and our camps happy. Without the friendly help of so many of you (so many of "us" if I lump myself in), we'd have black tanks overflowing and all the other ugly things that spoil the camps and the roads for the rest of us.

Peace and happy trails to all of you, even the trolls.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Where have all the members gone on this forum?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.