RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Empty parks with no open sites.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Empty parks with no open sites.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/22 05:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

One way to help this would be to make reservations 100% prepay in advance, and cancellations require a 2 week notice - or you lose your prepayment.

There have been so many times where I read about people using "the system" to reserve and cancel at popular places in order to get what they want. Fort Wilderness is a prime example of this - or at least was 10 years ago, the last time we were there.

Hmmm... When I posted the above, I was thinking about when people book sites the moment they are able to for popular times, but then cancel when they actually figure out when they are going - and get a refund. That was common at Fort Wilderness, and it annoyed the heck out of me. People gaming the system to get prime campsites, while also getting all their money back when changing their reservations. If you reserve a site, you pay for it.

As to paying for a site and then not using it... that doesn't bother me. Same for wanting to reserve 2 or 3 (or more) sites but only "camp" on one to give yourself more room. As long as you are paying for the campsites.

So... happy camping!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/22 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

I don't do state parks and such but in the past I have rented out about everything to others and have rented about as much for my own use. And if this in fact goes on its just asking for trouble unless it is made very plain in the contract that you can keep my money or lease my spot to someone else just because I am not there. You have to reserve and pay a year in advance and then show up late to find someone else has your spot? Get real. They keep a weeks worth of money for a year and don't have a spot for you? It would take a fool to fall for that trap. Now if it is made plain in the contract that this goes on after you have to pay a year out, I wouldn't go near the place...I don't think I have ever been sent a contract when reserving a camp site. So much for reading the FINE print. Does this really go on?

This is common with many rental businesses. Don't show up for a hotel room and after a predetermined time, they can sell the room to someone else.

For the most part, they have gone to online reservation systems and make you check a box that you have read the rules, so no claiming you didn't get the contract terms.

Ultimately, they are renting sites in areas that are generally much nicer than most private parks at much cheaper than market rates, so people will continue to book under these terms and as you keep overlooking, the parks have an obligation to serve all the public.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/22 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And no obligation to the people who in good faith paid for, and gave their money, for a spot that you can then give to someone else? This idea would make me feel like a common thief. This must be designed for those that routinely show up without a reservation. I am done here as since in all these years of camping I have NEVER experienced this situation. Everyone be safe and have fun.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/22 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

And no obligation to the people who in good faith paid for, and gave their money, for a spot that you can then give to someone else? This idea would make me feel like a common thief. This must be designed for those that routinely show up without a reservation. I am done here as since in all these years of camping I have NEVER experienced this situation. Everyone be safe and have fun.

They have an obligation to provide a site if you show up on time

If you don't show up, you have violated the terms of the contract and there is no moral issue. Don't like it, don't make a reservation.

If you have never experienced the situation, you have never been a no-show for a campsite or hotel when they are at capacity. This isn't something new or shocking.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/22 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think we have all experienced this situation when we see mutiple vacant sites on a busy weekend. In that case we are fortunate to have a site and witness the vacancies. The unfortunate ones are those who were not able to get a site because the campground was booked.
I imagine if you feel you have the right to no show then you have not experienced or witness the vacncies because you never made it to the CG to see your unused site[emoticon]

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

dedmiston

Coast to Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/22 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

I think "good faith" doesn't always apply to this. I think a significant percentage of the vacancies are from people trying to game the system.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/22 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

ferndaleflyer wrote:

I think "good faith" doesn't always apply to this. I think a significant percentage of the vacancies are from people trying to game the system.

Exactly! In my experience, most people who honestly had an emergency come up simply call the park and let them know they will be a day late. And the parks are happy to accommodate them.

It's the folks who are trying to play the system that this is intended to stop.

The folks who book a full 14 days just to nab the holiday weekend before everyone else - leaving the campsite empty for 11 of those 14 days.

The folks who book four different sites for the same timeframe so they can "pick" the best one when they arrive, leaving the other campsites empty.

And so on.

Here is the no show policy on the recreation.gov website:

No-Shows
A no-show customer is one who does not arrive at a campground and does not cancel the reservation by check-out time on the day after the scheduled arrival date (or for day-use facilities, by check-in time the day of arrival).

No-show customers are only recorded at staffed facilities. At most remote facilities, all customers are noted as automatically checked-in on the date of arrival.

It is recommended that staffed facilities hold a campsite until check-out time on the day following the arrival date.

It is recommended that staffed facilities hold group day-use facilities until check-in time on the arrival date.

There is no change fee if a customer extends or shortens a reservation if the change includes dates from the original reservation. If they choose to depart early, they may forfeit some or all of the recreation fees.

There is no change fee if the customer changes campsites that are the same price and on the same reservation dates in the same campground. If the campsite the customer is changing to has a price difference, the customer will be responsible for any additional fees or be provided with a refund, based on the price difference.

Where recorded, no-show customers are assessed a $20.00 no-show fee and forfeit the first night's recreation fee for a campsite or forfeit the entire day-use recreation fee for a day-use facility. We recommend customers contact the facility if they are en route to their reservation but cannot make it by the check-in date. In these cases, no refund will be issued, but the facility can ensure that a "no-show" fee is not assessed..

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Empty parks with no open sites.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.