|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Warm Fridge - Dometic DM2882

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
kcgaz

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/22 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Dometic DM2882 has an ice cold freezer, but the fridge goes from low 40's to 60 as the day heats up. Does anyone know if this refrigerator has electric fans on the backside below the coils? I can't see any, but its pretty tight in the compartment. I'm thinking this could be an air circulation problem, but would appreciate any advice and guidance. Thanks in advance for your help!
Best,
Kevin

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/22 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Typical in hot weather. Adding a fan that clips onto the fins inside the fridge helps.

Adding fans to the "chimney" also helps. My twin fans for the chimney are on a mechanical thermostat.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/22 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is ice cold 0F? Check door seals for leaks. Fans and outside wall cover shading can help.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Microlite Mike

NW Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/22 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a similar issue when camping in warm, sunny places.

Added a Titan Fan system to the top of the vent chimney. It has a controller that turns the two fans on and controls the speed depending on the temperature of air in the chimney. Cooling totally depends on how much heat can be removed from the rear "coils" of the refrigerator and with the constricted space, normal convection is often not enough. I also added a couple small computer fans at the back of the refrigerator compartment with a switch that allows me to use one or both fans to circulate air inside.

Average Freezer temps on days approaching 100 degrees run 0-+5 F and refrigerator temps 33-38 F

[image]

https://www.amazon.com/Ventilation-Cooli........erator-Controller-TTC-SC22/dp/B077TJCL3F

The fan assembly can be installed at lower vent to blow air into the "chimney" or at the top (Under the vent cap) to suck air out. I found the top to be best for my setup.
Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

* This post was edited 06/24/22 04:20pm by an administrator/moderator *

"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

kcgaz

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/22 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for your helpful responses, the fridge is not in the slide as Brian noted. I checked under the vent cover on the roof and cleaned out some pine needles, but it did not make a difference. The rig is a 2021 model, so all should be new. I checked the door seals and they are good. Its as though the fridge is in defrost mode with moisture dripping from the fins inside the refrigerator. The freezer is at -6 and the fridge ranges from 40-60 degrees. I'm going to install fans below the roof vent cover and maybe on the wall cover. Any other ideas?

Lwiddis

Cambria, California area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/22 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A battery powered twenty-five dollar in fridge fan works for me. Camping World and Amazon

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/22 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it still under warranty?

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/22 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dometic gives a 2 year warranty on that model according to their website.

Also check the thermister and ensure its clipped to the last cooling fin, probably near the center, but try moving lower or higher to see if that changes the temp.

* This post was edited 06/24/22 12:49pm by wanderingaimlessly *

kcgaz

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/22 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is one month out of warranty of course. I checked the Thermister with an Ohm meter and it is showing an open circuit which makes me suspicious that it could be contributing to the problem. For those who placed fans in the chimney, did you position the fans to pull the hot air out or down draft?

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/22 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

one month out,, might beg a little for help.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Warm Fridge - Dometic DM2882
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.