|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Getting propane tanks in and out

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/22 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I should have added that I'm a 74-year-old Female and can still manage to get a 40 pounder in and out, just don't have to do it often.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/22 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a tray but the inner tank was still a tight squeeze. I turned the reg and hoses so they are on the backside of the tanks and don’t get in the way when changing the tanks. That helped a lot so I can keep both hands on the tanks and not have to fight the hose clutter. Craig

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/22 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having the tanks on a tray has to be helpful and is something I’ll look into. I’ll add them if possible.

And Michelle, what you neglected to tell us is your an Olympic weight lifter. I can brag on myself a little because I bought 10 pound dumbbells and use them almost everyday. Ok, I cut them in half, ok thirds, but I use em!

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/22 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nope, no Olympic Weight Lifter. Just grew up on a Farm and we also ran a small Saw Mill and Lumber business. But time has taken it's toll and can't even think of doing the things I did when younger. But I can get my tank back in, yes it's a struggle but do able, wouldn't want to do it all day long.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/22 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Michelle.S wrote:

We use very little Propane, current tank in use was opened in 2019 and still has gas. We have a Residential Fridge and an Induction Cook Top, so only Propane appliances are the Furnace and Hot Water Heater.
Wintering in Central Florida for the cool weather we use the Electric Fireplace Heater and Heat Pump on both AC. So filling and lifting our 40 Lb tanks isn't very offen.
A pretty informative post, but not really germane to the thread title, and content. [emoticon]

Seems pretty germane to me. If you can switch 2/3 of your propane consumption to electricity, that means you eliminate lifting them in and out 2 out of 3 times. That's a big part of the challenge solved.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/22 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my Dads new to him 5er you had to lift the tanks "UP" and out of the steel ring or try to release the latching system and bend the steel horizontal ring out of the way so you could tip it out instead of lifting. .

So I put my "creative genius" [emoticon] to work and cut off the latching system and added a strap that can be tightened. Works GREAT with releasing the strap and tipping the tank out and grabbing the bottom to easily carry it to the truck. I added a wood block to keep from damaging the aluminum door frame at the bottom. The block also keeps the tank base locked in place.

[image]
[image]
[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/22 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Cummins12V98, That’s great information and the pictures really helped pull it all together. Thanks for that.

I’d like to be able to put a pull out tray on mine but not sure I have the vertical clearance for it? Someone said go from 30 Gal to 20 to gain space. But I really don’t want to lose 20 gals of propane.

I’m frankly surprised someone hasn’t devised an elevator system, maybe like a tire Jack.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/22 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, 12V is a resourceful, handy guy, probably got it from his Dad! He often has pictures to explain, or prove a point. Pics are great help, wish more people posted them!

My 30# tanks weigh 66 lbs when fully filled. I have to duck a bit, as mine go in from the front, under the overhang. It helps to keep them close to your body, give it a bear hug, but keeping one hand underneath.

Jerry

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/22 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

Hey Cummins12V98, That’s great information and the pictures really helped pull it all together. Thanks for that.

I’d like to be able to put a pull out tray on mine but not sure I have the vertical clearance for it? Someone said go from 30 Gal to 20 to gain space. But I really don’t want to lose 20 gals of propane.

I’m frankly surprised someone hasn’t devised an elevator system, maybe like a tire Jack.

Pounds not gallons. Honestly, unless you are going thru propane fast, switching to 20lb tanks would be a good option. It reduces the weight and gives you more room to work with. I grumbled a bit as our latest trailer came with 20lb tanks but we are only going thru 1 tank ever couple months full timing, so it hasn't been an issue (once a month in cold weather but usually heading to warmer destinations in that situation).

As far as elevator systems...fact is there probably isn't much of a market for it.
- Most RVers are physically capable. When you are no longer capable of lifting the propane tank, good chance you are facing other physical challenges to RVing.
- The rest can usually find family/friend to help them with the once every couple month task.
- That doesn't leave very many who would benefit from a specialty product.

One option you might be able to do: Swing by the hardware store and pick up some pulleys and rope (sufficient for a 4-1 arrangement, higher ratio if you think you need it). Mount an eye to the top of the compartment to support the pulley system.

A 30lb propane tanks weighs around 55lb, with a 4:1 arrangement, you set it on the ground next to the compartment and tie it off. It will then take around 15lb of pull on the pully to lift the tank.
- With one hand hold the tank out so it doesn't hit the side of the trailer.
- With the other, pull on the rope.
- Take your time so you don't trip but then step on the end of the rope you can move your hand to a new position. (with two people it would be a breeze but then you probably wouldn't need mechanical assistance)
- Once even with the compartment, let it swing into position and let out the rope to set in place.
- Reverse the process to take it out.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could rig up a small 12v winch on the top of the compartment. One hand to control the tank and the other to work the control.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/22 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Yes, 12V is a resourceful, handy guy, probably got it from his Dad! He often has pictures to explain, or prove a point. Pics are great help, wish more people posted them!

My 30# tanks weigh 66 lbs when fully filled. I have to duck a bit, as mine go in from the front, under the overhang. It helps to keep them close to your body, give it a bear hug, but keeping one hand underneath.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, check is in the mail. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Getting propane tanks in and out
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.