RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Can trailer tires be patched?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Can trailer tires be patched?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Caveman Charlie

Storden, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/22 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had a lot of tire plugs in my life. My local mechanic says that the insurance won't let him use them anymore. Too bad. Then the right circumstance they would work fine.

But, the picture of the tire with the big bolt in it is not something I would do. It's to big of a hole. A nail is fine but, a bolt is to large of a hole for me to feel good about it.

To each their own. Have a nice day.

1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Microlite Mike

NW Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/22 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

In the early days working at a gas station we used rubber plugs, then they came out with a mushroom plug you put in a device that inserted it into the tire. Kind of like what they use today with the exception of dismounting the tire and installing it from the inside.
The rag type came into play and shown good results. For every story there will be someone that had a failure, my guess is the successful plug repair outnumbers the failures. HAven't seen any accident reports with the headlines "plugged tire grenades and kills many..."
So...for those old schoolers that grew up scraping' and savin' and doing whatever it took continue with what you know works. for the others.....

... saying a driver would be fired on the spot caught with a tire plug kit..[emoticon]

Those old rubber plugs (that looked more like a rivet) were nothing like what tires are repaired with today. There was nothing holding them in place other than air pressure on the inside and also nothing to actually keep air from migrating into the tire's cord body and cause separations. Today's "Plug Patch" Combination units have the pre-cured rubber coated with a chemical vulcanized compound that hot only holds the patch unit in place but forms a barrier to air attempting to infiltrate the cord body.

Tire manufacturers and tire chains that offered warranties started to exclude any tire repaired with a plug from warranty consideration. All based on testing by the tire industry's association testing and data gathering.

Ever since the Firestone 500/Ford Explorer fiasco tire companies became far more risk averse than they were prior to that.

As for firing a driver because they carry a plug kit, the story related is a perfect example of why. Rather than waiting for a proper repair, the driver decided he knew better and ended up destroying a tire that could cost the owner up to $600 or more.

"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

Microlite Mike

NW Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/22 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Caveman Charlie wrote:

I've had a lot of tire plugs in my life. My local mechanic says that the insurance won't let him use them anymore. Too bad. Then the right circumstance they would work fine.

But, the picture of the tire with the big bolt in it is not something I would do. It's to big of a hole. A nail is fine but, a bolt is to large of a hole for me to feel good about it.

To each their own. Have a nice day.

Plugs are probably OK in ATV and other off road vehicles where the tires are sometimes impossible to dismount unless you have special equipment, even in a tire shop.

For a highway tire at the speeds driven, with weights carried, they are just a liability waiting to bite one in the posterior. Even retreads have almost totally disappeared from auto and light truck use due to the high failure rate. Commercial tires are often built with retreading/re-grooving planned in their future and the tire "carcass" is a lot stronger.

CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/22 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

@bucky, how many plugged tires you had self destruct in a short time, or ever?

I'm working on a 50% failure rate. Luckily the tires didn't fail - just the plugs!

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/22 03:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I'm clueless about tires after 44 years in the auto repair business. So sorry to interject cautions into some of ya'll's fantasies. Towing my boat to the ramp in the neighborhood? Sure. Lawn mower tire? Sure. Headed to Arizona? No way Jose.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Can trailer tires be patched?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.