|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> UH-Oh! Akin Cancer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/22 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was just diagnosed with squamish cell carcinoma on a small area of my left temple. I'm due to having it surgically removed next Thursday (7 July). Several friends and famiy members have had a similar procedure performed, so I'm learning this condition is fairly common.

I'm hoping there has been no spread of the cancer. Upon doing a search of certain medical wesites, the general consensus is facial cancers of this type are not as prone to spreading compared to other types. That gives me some hope.

I'm curious if any of you folks have faced a sinilar situation, and what was the outcome, if you care to relate your experience? Mr Ed

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/22 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had the so called skin cancer. Melanoma and the other I forget the name. In the 60/70's I lived in the sun on the lake.

I had about 8 removed by freezing on my back and 2 they had to cut out on my shoulders.Was a decent chunk cut out to make sure he got it all. Healing time was short and painless except for the itching. Had a few follow ups within the following months and no sign of it coming back. Had a 6 month check up then it's a year between follow ups now.

My doctor says it is fairly common from the sun,more so it you ever had a few sunburns over the years.

Good luck on your treatment.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/22 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not facial, but I have several small scars on my back. Just get checked twice a year.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/22 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had the Mohs procedure a few times, no biggie. They cut out some of it, check the surrounding area immediately, and remove it all, with frequent checks to make sure they get it all.

Melanoma is the bad boy, it can metastasize while the small cell skin cancer rarely does.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/22 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bless you brother -prayers . I had a friend I had not spoken with in a few months contact me a few days ago and tell me he has lost an ear to C and it has gotten in the bone some how. He has had issues with his cheek in the past and pretty much ignored it. Cannot ignore this. He is disappointed, a bit scared and disappointed. Meds are not doing what the docs hoped for.
We will say prayers for you as we do for him each night

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/22 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

I've had the Mohs procedure a few times, no biggie. They cut out some of it, check the surrounding area immediately, and remove it all, with frequent checks to make sure they get it all.

Melanoma is the bad boy, it can metastasize while the small cell skin cancer rarely does.

I'm healing up now from a spot on my nose that was cut out and a spot on my arm they lazered off. Wasn't a big deal on either one but my nose healed quick & the laser spot is slow healing.
I too have worked outdoors most of my life & this the 1st problem & Im 73. My Brother wasn't so lucky. Malenoma in 1976 & was later told he was cured. In 1999 it came back as a tumor on his intestine & he passed very quickly from the 2nd bout.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/22 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please visit a dermatologist regularly. When we retired and moved we needed a new one. The doctor we picked was a loser.
I now have a 2 inch by 4 inch skin graft on my face that resulted from a 10 hour surgery, 6 days in the hospital, and a month of radiation. One doctor in FL told me when the tiny spot first appeared "oh don't worry, squamous can't kill you." They couldn't get me in until after we had to return home and by then the tumor had exploded like an ice burg under the skin
Other than the skin graft the scar runs over my ear, down my neck, and across that side of my chest where the lymph nodes were removed.
On top of that radiation destroys teeth and bone so that most dentists will not touch you.
Thanks to Duke Hospital for the great care they gave me for the cancer part and the University of North Carolina Dental School for having the staff and the knowledge about how to fix the resulting dental issues.
Is this an extreme case? Sure, but if it happened to me it can happen to you. Don't play games with the sun. It's effects are cumulative.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/22 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago I was given whole body UV light treatments as a psoriasis treatment. While the UV exposure did drive the psoriasis into remission, a year or so later I developed melanoma in several locations, the worst being in the groin area. It took months of treatments ranging from wide excision surgery to Mohs surgery to radiation to eradicate it. For years afterwards, I was getting twice yearly full body screenings, although that's now been reduced to annual visits. My current dermatologist has only found an occasional squamous cell patch that she's removed with freezing, but the scars from the melanoma will last forever. The psoriasis that started it all has stayed mostly in remission, with just a few minor flareups from time to time that are treated topically, not with UV!

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/22 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetboater454 wrote:

I've had the so called skin cancer. Melanoma and the other I forget the name. In the 60/70's I lived in the sun on the lake.

Good luck on your treatment.

The name of the other type you're thinking about is "carcinoma"

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/22 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate all the responses, and first person accounts. This gives me a hopeful outlook. Thanks again,all of you.

Mr. Ed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> UH-Oh! Akin Cancer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.