|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Traveling with Propane on

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
Sponsored By:
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/22 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

PButler96 wrote:

I wonder if some of these people commenting in this threadopen all the windows before they rip one loose while driving, because you never know when some errant spark up in the dashboard could potentially ignite the methane. I'd bet some actually hold it back until they can pull over to get into the great wide open LOL.

Not really necessary to be rude. Every one here has indicated why THEY do or do not. No one has stated that everyone should do the same or they will die. It's like most everything else, everyone has their own comfort level about it. Nothing wrong with that.

PB has been on here for 2 weeks and already making lots of friends.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/22 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP, yes,run with the propane on. No needed precautions provided your fridge is in good working order. How do you know the fridge is "on"? Aside from all the lights and such you can always go outside, open the panel and feel the heat being generated in the exhaust tube surrounding the pilot light.

I have found this thread reassuring as the vast majority confirms the safety in running with the fridge on. I will only turn mine off when on a ferry. Haven't traveled through any tunnels that require it. I don't turn it off while fueling up either. The odds of a mishap are approaching zero. Fumes? Of course there are fumes at gas stations but even a spilled gallon of gas on the floor would not produce enough concentration to ignite some 25 feet away.

Over the years I have asked, pleaded actually, for anyone to produce any proof of a fire caused by a fridge running on propane while moving down the road. So far.....zero cases. I did see some photos of motor homes burning on the side of the road but upon closer look, they were fires started in the front of the rig, up where you find the engine. One sent in a story of a guy in a van conversion who was filling his gas tank that was right next to the fridge compartment. The old guy lost control of the hose and sprayed the side of the van with gas thus ingniting the whole thing. Really? That has been the best anyone could come up with.

Lets just say that someone does produce a single case of this issue. Out of millions of trips if one ended in a terrible fire, would that keep you from turning if the fridge? I mean, if you are that concerned about possible accidents you probably shouldn't drive on a highway. Lots can, and often does go wrong there.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/22 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

I know it was a joke. It's just one that annoys the heck out of me because so many people REALLY BELIEVE they cannot cut the tags off pillows, etc.
It is very clear the tag must remain on for disclosure to the end user. Would have helped if it said the end user could remove. BTW mine have all been removed [emoticon]

OMG - I had no idea I could remove those tags!!!

I now have a Sunday project! Thanks toedtoes and time2roll. Time to bust out the scissors.

BTW - just to make it thread relevant, I tow with my fridge running and no, I don't turn it off at the pump.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/22 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

time2roll wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

I know it was a joke. It's just one that annoys the heck out of me because so many people REALLY BELIEVE they cannot cut the tags off pillows, etc.
It is very clear the tag must remain on for disclosure to the end user. Would have helped if it said the end user could remove. BTW mine have all been removed [emoticon]

OMG - I had no idea I could remove those tags!!!

I now have a Sunday project! Thanks toedtoes and time2roll. Time to bust out the scissors.

BTW - just to make it thread relevant, I tow with my fridge running and no, I don't turn it off at the pump.

Mike

If you read the actual tag, it usually says "Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the consumer". That means you can cut them off to your heart's content!!! Enjoy!

I run my trailer fridge on propane while driving. I sometimes turn off for fueling - just depends how big the station is. If the trailer will be next to another pump while I'm fueling, I turn it off. If not, I leave it on. The trailer fridge is a 2-way and not as efficient at holding the cold, so actively cooling during the drive is important.

I don't run the motorhome fridge on propane while driving. It has a 12v setting, so if I need to, I'll run it on that. But for up to about 5 hours, it stays cold so I don't bother. I have it on 120v at home, unplug and drive off, arrive at the campground, park, open the propane tank, switch it to propane and light it. For the trip home, I just close the propane tank, drive home, park, plug in and switch it back to electric.

Both of my fridges are older and do not have circuit boards, automatic lighting or switching modes, etc. I have to manually switch from one mode to the other and I have to manually put a flame to it.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

bikendan

Goodyear, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/22 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you can see just from this thread, the vast majority of RVers travel with the fridge on propane. This has been the case, on the 7 different RV forums I've belonged to, for the past 17 years.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

WinMinnie02

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/22 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes you can use fridge with propane on while traveling.

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/22 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bikendan,

The Airstream forum has been pretty much a mixed bag over the years. I do believe the consensus recently is what you have stated.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Traveling with Propane on
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.