RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Known pros/cons these brands?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Known pros/cons these brands?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/22 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So what happened to your rig on the way home? Just fall apart or did you have components inside that are commonly the same ones used by all manufacturers fail?

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/22 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Arctic fox, Lance, Outdoors Rv are west coast brands that are nigh on to impossible to find east of the Mississippi.
Among the mainstream brands best to worst generally seem to be,,, Grand Design, KZ, Winnebago, Jayco, after that it seems to become a crapshoot,,, the upper end units from Coachmen, Keystone, and Dutchmen probably are next, but you have to look at individual makes.
Remember, appliances, freestanding furniture, built in equipment are the same across most brands, look at construction materials, particle board, plywood etc, and decide based on the line build of what you are looking for.

jukes

Aptos

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/22 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LadyRVer wrote:

I have had Forest River products, some OK, some not. Also a Dutchmen, it was OK.

My only thought is an island kitchen.. if you use the trailer going down the road (like I do) usually an island kitchen blocks access to some parts of the trailer. Personally, I would want to see it all closed up to see if I can use the sections I want.

I was in severe weather a couple of years ago. Had to pull the super slide in and stayed in for 3 days.
I was able to use all parts of the fifth-wheel.

Good luck in your new search and sorry for your loss.

oh yes good point about the island!

jukes

Aptos

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/22 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jukes wrote:

LadyRVer wrote:

I have had Forest River products, some OK, some not. Also a Dutchmen, it was OK.

My only thought is an island kitchen.. if you use the trailer going down the road (like I do) usually an island kitchen blocks access to some parts of the trailer. Personally, I would want to see it all closed up to see if I can use the sections I want.

I was in severe weather a couple of years ago. Had to pull the super slide in and stayed in for 3 days.
I was able to use all parts of the fifth-wheel.

Good luck in your new search and sorry for your loss.

oh yes good point about the island!

ok thanks, good tips.

jukes

Aptos

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/22 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

So what happened to your rig on the way home? Just fall apart or did you have components inside that are commonly the same ones used by all manufacturers fail?

The trailer frame bent and front collapsed, the trailer made it to Alaska from California and all around Alaska, but the road leaving Alaska into Canada is so bad, even driving like a snail it hit a hole and bent. I think the type of frame also wasn't as good as some of the newer ones. So it got towed off and our insurance has been pretty good about paying for all that and hoping to get something back for it too.. unlike Good Sam who after 6 hours on the phone told us to arrange our own towing as they couldn't figure it out...
Anyways, we loved it but it was getting old (but fine for us), so now we want a replacement... but prices are high..but these newer ones do have some nice features [emoticon]

jukes

Aptos

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/22 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Arctic fox, Lance, Outdoors Rv are west coast brands that are nigh on to impossible to find east of the Mississippi.
Among the mainstream brands best to worst generally seem to be,,, Grand Design, KZ, Winnebago, Jayco, after that it seems to become a crapshoot,,, the upper end units from Coachmen, Keystone, and Dutchmen probably are next, but you have to look at individual makes.
Remember, appliances, freestanding furniture, built in equipment are the same across most brands, look at construction materials, particle board, plywood etc, and decide based on the line build of what you are looking for.

We are in California so will look out for those brands.. RV Trader site has trailers for sale near me, so sifting through those... quite a few for under $30k...but not many of those higher quality brands!

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/22 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aluminum sided because I like the look, and aluminum frame because hidden water leaks don't care if it's plywood or framing. Aluminum doesn't rot like wood. Those of you denying hidden water leaks just haven't found them yet.

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Known pros/cons these brands?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.