RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Acrylic sheet to replace skylight bubble?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

 > Acrylic sheet to replace skylight bubble?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
cannesdo

Presently in Encinitas, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/27/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/11/22 12:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

Polycarbonate, NOT acrylic. Poly will take hail and not haze or yellow with age.


Ah -- good! Thanks!

cannesdo

Presently in Encinitas, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/27/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/11/22 12:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Will this work? not cheap and a little bit larger. But if the inner dome hides that it's larger I would think it would not matter.
Link
The measurements on the picture don't match the measurements in the description so you might need to reach out to them and ask which is correct.

They also seem to offer a custom skylight creation for $239 if you have to go that route.
Custom


Thanks! Nah, that first one is too narrow... [emoticon]

cannesdo

Presently in Encinitas, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/27/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/11/22 12:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

What are your plans to dress up the hole on the inside.


There's a blind that you pull shut which is always closed so you won't see it anyway from the inside. But it will allow light to come through.

cannesdo

Presently in Encinitas, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/27/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/11/22 12:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

Polycarbonate, NOT acrylic. Poly will take hail and not haze or yellow with age.


Any idea if either of these work with self-leveling sealant?

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

Senior Member

Joined: 01/25/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/11/22 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dicor sealant either self leveling or not should work well, depending on your fit should work. You might consider Eternabond tape if you cant get a flat fit.
You mentioned machining the edges, you should be able to do that with a router with a chamfer bit, poly thakes that easy, acrylic would crack.

cannesdo

Presently in Encinitas, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/27/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/11/22 11:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

Dicor sealant either self leveling or not should work well, depending on your fit should work. You might consider Eternabond tape if you cant get a flat fit.
You mentioned machining the edges, you should be able to do that with a router with a chamfer bit, poly thakes that easy, acrylic would crack.


Great, thanks...I may take it to a machine shop tomorrow. Just a 1/4" wide 1/8" high lip for the caulk would help to get a clean look I think...I got plexiglass. Did some googling. That looks like it can be routed too -- yes?

I may skip the original framing for the bubble. It's so messed up. Doesn't look great. The screws should hold it tight. I think I'll also paint about an inch at the edge the color of the roof to conceal the butyl (?) tape/putty that will go underneath. I may drill new holes near the old ones for the good fit. Drill right through the plexiglass and the roof at the same time to make sure they line up. Thoughts on that?

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

Senior Member

Joined: 01/25/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/12/22 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cannesdo wrote:

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

Dicor sealant either self leveling or not should work well, depending on your fit should work. You might consider Eternabond tape if you cant get a flat fit.
You mentioned machining the edges, you should be able to do that with a router with a chamfer bit, poly thakes that easy, acrylic would crack.


Great, thanks...I may take it to a machine shop tomorrow. Just a 1/4" wide 1/8" high lip for the caulk would help to get a clean look I think...I got plexiglass. Did some googling. That looks like it can be routed too -- yes?

I may skip the original framing for the bubble. It's so messed up. Doesn't look great. The screws should hold it tight. I think I'll also paint about an inch at the edge the color of the roof to conceal the butyl (?) tape/putty that will go underneath. I may drill new holes near the old ones for the good fit. Drill right through the plexiglass and the roof at the same time to make sure they line up. Thoughts on that?

Plexiglass is Acrylic! Get Lexan Polycarbonate - worth the extra money!

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

Moderator

Joined: 10/16/2000

View Profile



Posted: 07/12/22 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is where I recently bought mine when I redid my roof. It was very a very nice quality piece of work. Price was not bad either. They had many different sizes and styles.
Barney

* This post was edited 07/12/22 07:51am by BarneyS *


2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD


4x4van

California

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/19/22 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it were me, and I was installing a flat plate, I wouldn't use screws at all. Holes and screws just create a location for cracks/leaks. I'd simply cut the polycarbonate at least 1-2" larger than the hole, lay down a heavy bead of Dicor, lay the sheet on top, and then add more Dicor around the outside once the initial Dicor dries.


We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

 > Acrylic sheet to replace skylight bubble?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.