|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fifth wheel length question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/22 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Is space and comfort more important than staying in COE campgrounds, local, city campgrounds?

I wouldn't say that by going with a shorter trailer you would give up any comfort. We have friends with a 36 footer and they have just a little more usable space than we do with our 27 (really 29) footer and I would say ours is more comfortable. They have another couch, that's the main difference.

Going from a TC like the OP has to even a shorter fifth wheel is a huge difference. That's what we did, it is more about finding the right floor plan that works for you both. Also watch the tank sizes when you are shopping for a 5th wheel. Many of the opposing slide models give up tank space to make room for the slide mechanism.

Our tank sizes are almost double what they have. There are always trade offs.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

kennethwooster

Perryton Tx USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/22 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Out of 6 5th wheels our favorite was a 31 ft, Cameo. We’ve had from 35 to 40. Big doesn’t mean better..

kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/22 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 26' is tight at times with older national or state parks. Never really wanted more but I could see going 30-32'.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/22 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 40' and we've been too big a handful of times. Some National and State parks do have some tight spots. Sounds like you'd be okay in up to 36'.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/22 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My favorite size was 31' (or very close to it.) With slides, that was a very comfortable size for the 2 of us.

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/22 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 35ft and travel weeks to several months with it, averaging about halftime on the road. Camp mostly at state parks, NPS, COEs etc. I would not have a longer 5er, and we’re very comfortable in this one with storage etc (currently on a 3-4mo trip).

There are a few times that I’d like smaller. As I tell everyone, the perfect size 5er would be 35ft interior with a 30ft exterior length [emoticon]

Haven’t seen anything in 30-32ft size that has floor plan we like, besides at this point we’ve modded up our 35ft’er such that it would be hard for me to give up what we have.

If you plan to camp similar to us I’d recommend making sure you look at tank sizes as someone else mentioned. Good luck.

Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/22 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

34’ worked well for wife and I and occasional grandkid or two when they were small. But there were some state parks we stayed in that one more foot would have been difficult to get in if at all. Just depends on how much you want to limit yourself.

sportzfann

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/22 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow that was a lot of great responses I think we would be looking to limit its length at around 34’. Sounds like that would be a good compromise on length if all other things are a fit like tank size etc.

Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/22 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we went back to a fiver from a mh, we were only concerned with the floor plans in regard to what we wanted and that would meet our expectations. It happened to be a 40 footer but if it had been longer so be it. Based on your question I would shoot for what fits your needs and go that route.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

jffnkrn

peoria

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/22 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Past: bumper pull, 19 foot, 22 foot, 26 foot then fifth wheel, 33 foot twice, now 37 foot. All have been great. We do sometimes have a little issue getting into some places, but planning ahead to get a great spot and place hasn't been an issue. The last trade up gave us a bit more closet and bathroom space, living area about the same, plenty of room. plus we now have the washer and dryer so that will pay for itself hopefully with in the year. Just make sure you like the floor plan and get it, enjoy it and have fun. Boondocking won't be an issue, just remember about "off grid living" - water, sewer and electricity, how long you can be off grid. I know said before, have fun! ! !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fifth wheel length question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.