|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
dalefuji

Milton, Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/22 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a manual Carefree Awning and have problem when closing.
I hit the unlock switch and awning rolls up and goes under aluminum
cover. When I pull on the top near rear end it seems locked. When I pull on top at front end it comes out approx. 6". I checked canopy at top in aluminum cover and it is centered and set screw in each end to keep from moving. The canopy in rail is centered without screws in each end. I tried moving canopy slightly one way and then the other way in rail with nothing changing. This just occurred recently. I have the rail locks halfway down on both rails but doesn't stop top from moving out 6". The only thing left, in my opinion, would be to tighten spring in front end of rail!
Any suggestions!

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/22 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since it's a manual Carefree I'm assuming the end that moves is also the end end for the lock? My guess is the lock mechanism has a worn or broken tooth. The whole mechanism is encased and part of the spring endcap. To replace the mechanism you need to replace the spring. If you're handy, springs are available on Amazon for just over $100. Measure the length of the awning tube because they sell the springs by awning length, not by awning model number.

• Start at the Carefree of Colorado website Link
  • On the webpage page click on Motorhome
  • Click on patio awning
  • Click on Fiesta (Doesn't matter if you have a Fiesta, SpiritFX or Simplicity) the manual and parts are the same with differences spelled out in the guide
  • Click on Patio Awning Service Manual to open the pdf

The part numbers are in the PDF on page 20 and Item number 20. You can type that part number into Amazon and order and replace the spring and end cap. On the part number replace the XXX with the code for the color of the cap. -55 White -06 Black

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/22 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's what I'm thinking. I have had to replace my springs a few times and I had a rear one do the same as your front. I remember when I deployed it one day it made a weird popping noise almost like something slipped or spun in the tube. When I went to roll it back up the rear didn't go up tight to the body like yours. I'll bet like me you heard that noise one day and thought hmm that was weird. But since the awning seemed to still work you didn't give it a second thought.

Having replaced springs before I knew the spring had slipped in the tube and that I had to have a set number of turns in each spring (for mine it's 8 turns when retracted and 16 turns when deployed). So when I got home I tried to unwind and then rewind the spring to restore the tension. When I got to about 15 turns the spring slipped in the tube again. The spring wasn't broken. But it's mounting point on the end cap just could not hold the required torsion and it would partially slip. I tried various ways to secure the end cap to the spring but it kept failing. In the end I replaced the spring and the problem was resolved.
The front and rear springs are the only moving parts in these manual awnings. These two springs are always under tension. When the awning is deployed the springs are under a lot of tension to help you roll it up. And when the awning is stored the springs keep it rolled tight against the body. If not enough winds to preload the spring there is no tension at all when rolled up.

If you open the PDF from the link above you will see that each awning has a very specific number of turns that you need to preload the replacement spring. That number of turns puts enough pressure on the springs when deployed to allow it to roll back up without putting undue pressure on the springs when deployed. But it also leaves some residual tension in the springs to hold the awning closed. If the tension slips in the tube there won't be enough residual spring force to hold the awning closed.

dalefuji

Milton, Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/22 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you very much for you information. I ordered a new spring for the end towards the front of motorhome.
Thank You again and God Bless

dalefuji

Milton, Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/22 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. I put 18 winds on front spring and tried it with same problem.
2. I put new spring in and put 18 winds on spring and opened and closed several times and same problem. When closed I could still pull the top away 6-8". I put original spring back in.
3. I ordered another travel lock, which I will put 12" down from top of awning to keep top from moving out 6-8".

Maybe "new spring" was bad??????

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/22 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Post the P/n of the replacement front spring you installed. The CAM LOCK is Part of the replacement spring. Doug

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/22 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Looks like I'm a bit late to this, but if you want to consider this option, I'd recommend it.

When my awning spring was acting up (maybe 8 years ago), I replaced the mechanism with one of these manual crank mechanisms:

Carefree Manual Crank Upgrade

It was a recommended option by some folks on these forums. I LOVE it! Haven't had a problem since. It always winds up and down, directly under my control. I would never go back to the spring mechanism, and I don't really care for the electric ones, either, for that matter.

If this doesn't help you, perhaps it might help someone else.

Good Luck,

~Rick'

* This post was edited 07/31/22 12:24pm by Rick Jay *

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (25-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (20), 2 boys (21 & 18).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

dalefuji

Milton, Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/22 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Part No. of the spring in awning towards front end: R00926XXX-A
MY AWNING RAIL IS 19' LONG. $121.OO ON AMAZON

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/22 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dalefuji wrote:

Part No. of the spring in awning towards front end: R00926XXX-A
MY AWNING RAIL IS 19' LONG. $121.OO ON AMAZON

The RH spring INCLUDES the Cam Loc. Doug

dalefuji

Milton, Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/22 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I assume the part no. is correct. It opens and closes but it does not lock against the RV like the left one (rear one). The new spring from Amazon worked the same as the one I have on now. So I sent new one back. Maybe I should order the spring directly from Carefree?????

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.