RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Can I get on my roof?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Can I get on my roof?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mkenyon2

Lebanon, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/22 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2012/13 Trail Runner 25BH (some info here). I'd like to know if I can get on the roof to inspect the AC and other areas. Where can I find that information out? I do have the manuals that came with the trailer, but it didn't specify one way or another.

My reason is, I'd like to inspect the roof and caulking, since I think there may be a leak, but I'll post more about that in another thread.

MK and my Wifey from PA
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/22 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to get on my roof (different units, different roof types.) Don't now, but only due to my age.

My neighbor next door just had his roof inspected and the person walked all over it. He has a rubber roof.

Just be careful if you go up there!

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/22 11:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brochure says fully walkabout roof. But you might take a 4x4 sheet of plywood to help distribute your weight if you're uneasy about it.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/22 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My old Prowler said it's roof was non walkable unless you use a board to step on..

I had an A/C unit installed by the dealer when we bought it and there were foot prints all over the roof when they installed it..

So, I walked in it all the time to put the cover on, clean, inspect and re-caulk as needed..

I did find that trying to walk on the roof stringers was best, as between them, you could feel it 'give' a bit...

No issues over 16 years of doing it.

I do like the totally walk on roof of the Rockwood. And the bolt on ladder is nice too.. [emoticon]

Good luck, Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/22 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While my current RV roof is walkable, many are not. I have used a 2" extruded polystyrene foam rigid insulation sheet rather than plywood to stand on, due to it being light weight, easy to handle, and more comfortable to kneel on.

If you buy a 4x8 sheet, you can cut into several pieces, so it's easy to move about, moving one piece, while standing on the other.

Walking on the roof, is not a one roof fits all! If you are 300+ lbs, compared to the guy that is 160! [emoticon]

Jerry

Microlite Mike

NW Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/22 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My general rule of thumb is if the TT/MH came with a ladder, the roof is "walkable".

That said, putting down something like the foam insulation panels mentioned is a great idea. Not only helps distribute weight but protects the roof membrane from possible damage. Just changing directions while walking, twisting your shoe(s) on the membrane, might cause wrinkling. Also much easier on the knees which most will spend a lot of time on them while doing roof maintenance.

"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/22 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Walking on the roof, is not a one roof fits all! If you are 300+ lbs, compared to the guy that is 160!

Very true! I'm a 'little' north of 200# and 6'-3" tall, so in my case, I just got up there to find out what it could take..

Your mileage may vary! Mitch

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/22 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Y-Guy wrote:

Brochure says fully walkabout roof. But you might take a 4x4 sheet of plywood to help distribute your weight if you're uneasy about it.
That sounds like an accident waiting to happen; I’d rather take my chances of going through the roof.

Lwiddis

Southern California :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/22 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can...but should you? Dangerous up there and a long fall. I've found that I can do everything that needs to be done from a ladder.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/22 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wear padded snowshoes, to distribute the weight...[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Can I get on my roof?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.