RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: EVs Stealing RV Campsites!! Not....

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > EVs Stealing RV Campsites!! Not....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

Senior Member

Joined: 04/16/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/19/22 11:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford truck guy -- X2 could not have said it better myself! The stealing was the bad thing (and the only thing) that should have been a no-no off of unoccupied sites. But it did come across as though he did not like EVs period. So if a Class B or Class C occupied those sites (say camping newbies), the OP would have no problem with that. The real problem he does not recognize, and that there are now a lot of new campers brought on by Covid taking up a lot of camping sites, not just EVs.

PButler96

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 06/13/2022

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/20/22 03:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless the site power is individually metered the perp was using the same power no matter if plugged into paid for site "B", or unpaid and unoccupied sites "A" or "C". Stealing? ROFLMAO.

Tent camper Tom pays the same exact amount for a FHU site that Prevost Paul would of if he did not miss the reservation boat, then plugs in his blow dryer to finish the preparation of his man bun, oh the humanity.


I have a burn barrel in my yard.

2112

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Posted: 07/20/22 04:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ol Phil drank the whole jug of kool-aid. He now lives in his small world of blinded fear and hate. He needs to change the channel.

I wonder if he would have an issue with me taking up a whole FHU site with my small motorcycle, pup tent and bed roll? I burned fossil fuel to get there so I guess I would be allowed to stay without harassment.


2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857


Tvov

CT

Senior Member

Joined: 07/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 07/20/22 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmm. I guess I won't mention that my family "tented" a few times in "RV sites" before we got a TT.

We didn't want to... but it was what was available. It is not comfortable being in a tent between motorhomes.


_________________________________________________________
2021 F150 2.7
2004 21' Forest River Surveyor


valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/20/22 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PButler96 wrote:

Unless the site power is individually metered the perp was using the same power no matter if plugged into paid for site "B", or unpaid and unoccupied sites "A" or "C". Stealing? ROFLMAO.

Tent camper Tom pays the same exact amount for a FHU site that Prevost Paul would of if he did not miss the reservation boat, then plugs in his blow dryer to finish the preparation of his man bun, oh the humanity.


Guy had a point then went off the deep end.

Actually, it's a gray area.
- Your average 30amp RV is going to pull somewhere around 500-1500w on average (depends a lot on how hot and how much the air/con is running). Let's go with 1kw...so over a 20hr overnight stay, that's around 20kwh (probably a bit of a high estimate).
- An EV will typically draw until the battery is full. Let's say he's pulling at 2.5kw. Over 20hr, is 50kwh.

The RV park is likely setting it's pricing based on typical electrical usage.

If the EV tent campers are pulling an extra 30kwh at $0.25/kwh, that's $7.50 in electricity they are taking but not incorporated into the pricing.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/20/22 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

PButler96 wrote:

Unless the site power is individually metered the perp was using the same power no matter if plugged into paid for site "B", or unpaid and unoccupied sites "A" or "C". Stealing? ROFLMAO.

Tent camper Tom pays the same exact amount for a FHU site that Prevost Paul would of if he did not miss the reservation boat, then plugs in his blow dryer to finish the preparation of his man bun, oh the humanity.


Guy had a point then went off the deep end.

Actually, it's a gray area.
- Your average 30amp RV is going to pull somewhere around 500-1500w on average (depends a lot on how hot and how much the air/con is running). Let's go with 1kw...so over a 20hr overnight stay, that's around 20kwh (probably a bit of a high estimate).
- An EV will typically draw until the battery is full. Let's say he's pulling at 2.5kw. Over 20hr, is 50kwh.

The RV park is likely setting it's pricing based on typical electrical usage.

If the EV tent campers are pulling an extra 30kwh at $0.25/kwh, that's $7.50 in electricity they are taking but not incorporated into the pricing.


Maybe. But I can tell you from many days of EV RV camping that it’s unusual to get more than 25 or 30 kWh from a park pedestal on an overnight stay at a campground. And that is only if our trailer is unplugged. We have hydronic heat and hot water in our little trailer which means both heat and hot water use either one or two elements (selectable) to operate (or propane of course). Between that and the fridge I’m pretty sure it’s drawing close to 24 amps or roughly the same as the car. The only difference is if there is a voltage drop in the park the trailer keeps drawing max whereas the car senses the voltage drop and automatically tapers current to either 18 amps (at 113 volts) or 12 amps (at 109 volts) ish. As soon as that happens we get a text indicating charging is reduced because of low voltage. It does the same thing if it senses the receptacle temperature is rising because of a poor connection.

Jmho but if there is a difference in cost it’s probably closer to a couple or three bucks. Really we have never checked. Just a guess.

Might be different on a 50 amp site but we have never camped on one yet.

shelbyfv

TN

Senior Member

Joined: 02/18/2006

View Profile



Posted: 07/20/22 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

Ol Phil drank the whole jug of kool-aid. He now lives in his small world of blinded fear and hate. He needs to change the channel.

Yep. I wondered if he had always been nuts so checked his post history. Seemed "normal" until this thread. Apparently something caused him to come unhinged.[emoticon]

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

Senior Member

Joined: 12/31/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/20/22 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm
Maybe we'll get 10 pages on this forum too.


2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights
2021- 122 Nights
2022- 127 Nights

PButler96

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 06/13/2022

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/20/22 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JKJavelin wrote:

Hmmm
Maybe we'll get 10 pages on this forum too.



That's a given, probably at least 18 pages by Friday lol.

And by the time it settles down you'll know how to generate the electricity stolen by the tent camper using reverse osmosis with dog farts, brown sugar, and latex paint as ingredients.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 07/20/22 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I know it's irrational but that doesn't prevent me from feeling a bit resentful when I pull into an RV park/campground and find there are no FHU RV sites because someone has bypassed the tent camping area to use a FHU RV site. Yep, yer pays yer money and you takes yer cherce. But I still feel they have other choices, but I don't. Nothing to rant over, or get seriously pissed, but I still feel they were being a bit selfish.

Kind of like pulling into a parking lot, and finding 5 or 6 parking spots with a single motorcycle in each, when they could easily double up, which is what I do. Like I said, not a big deal, but just seems trifle inconsiderate. Definitely not worth getting all in a snit about though.


Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > EVs Stealing RV Campsites!! Not....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.