RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Camping in an EV.... Always charging...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Camping in an EV.... Always charging...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
shelbyfv

TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/22 05:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe a mod can put this unfortunate thread out of its misery. Maybe start a sticky titled "Why not EV?" so these armchair engineers will have a place to repeat their same objections ad nauseam.

nickthehunter

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/22 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And those EV zealots will be able to spout their holier than though prognostications ad infinitum

PButler96

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/22 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nickthehunter wrote:

And those EV zealots will be able to spout their holier than though prognostications ad infinitum

LOL, that's a good one. I get a kick out of folks on forums who desire a thread to be closed because they take issue with trivia BS that apparently annoys the hell out of them. They evidently can not shed the urge to click the link and read it though.

I have a burn barrel in my yard.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/22 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Ignoring the chest puffing over what qualifies as camping....

This is an RV site and it is at best marginal to call a pickup with a bed cap an RV and really irrelevant when talking about range.

It's a vehicle, being used for recreation. Therefore it is a Recreational Vehicle, an RV.

An F150 towing a TT is less of an RV than one with a bed cap used to overnight in. Trailers are not vehicles. Just ask your nearest crusty old phart when the bill from the Motor Vehicle Department comes in the mail on January 2nd.

If you really want to get nit picky about it, spending a couple of days in your little house on wheels is not "camping." Camping is sleeping on the ground under the stars with a rock as a pillow.

It's quite common for terms to take on meanings over time that are not consistent with the original underlying terms. They evolve over time.

We spent several years traveling on our boat...it's a vehicle and was used for recreation but only someone trying to be pedantic would call it an RV.

Same goes for calling it "camping" which comes from setting up an encampment. Camping implies setting up temporary accommodations in an outdoor area. It doesn't have to be tents. ...over time, in recreational use it came to be associated with camping in tents but as RVs (aka: campers) came about, it came to include those also. Really the term RV is a much more recent term intended to differentiate camping in an RV vs camping in a tent.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

stsmark

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/22 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Someone mentioned that they felt there was a chase vehicle due to driving shots. In the first installment they said they were taking a hybrid F 150 as well. They even tried charging the Lightning with it. I think they could get 7 miles of range an hour. I hope they do a segment comparing them.

shelbyfv

TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/22 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't seen evidence of any "EV zealots" here.[emoticon] We have had a couple of informative posts by a member who actually tows with an EV. My point was that the original video linked made no representation of the truck as a tow vehicle. That didn't stop the OP from going off on a tangent about what is camping. This thread was "wrong" from the get go and my guess is the OP started it only because he'd been so thoroughly embarrassed in another recent thread. Seems this one didn't go any better for him.[emoticon] Anyway, I think we can all agree that range and possibly payload reduce the usefulness of the Lightning as a tow vehicle. Feel free to repeat that as many times as you need.[emoticon]

* This post was edited 07/30/22 02:58pm by shelbyfv *

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/22 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stsmark wrote:

Someone mentioned that they felt there was a chase vehicle due to driving shots. In the first installment they said they were taking a hybrid F 150 as well. They even tried charging the Lightning with it. I think they could get 7 miles of range an hour. I hope they do a segment comparing them.

7 sounds about right as I believe the truck has a 14-30 receptacle (locking). That translates to about 5.7 kw an hour so maybe 12 to 14 kilometres tops.

I haven’t see the last episode yet so I’m curious how they do it. BC hydro is 18 to 30 months away from putting in DC fast charging stations on the two corridors going to Alaska. It will be interesting to watch. We’ll be making that trip when they do. Looking forward to it. Especially the Yukon. Lots of infrastructure going in in that region in the next two years.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/22 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I posted this years ago here, wonder why no one added it to one of these trucks. Or if even if it generates enough voltage to use as an extender for a EV truck.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.motortrend.com/news/worksport-terravis-solar-tonneau-cover-truck-bed-power-system/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwj1wpz5vpn5AhWTkokEHRzDDSMQtwJ6BAgHEAE&usg=AOvVaw2IZ0YLdYrXWeI3-O7Xirga

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/22 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w........BAgHEAE&usg=AOvVaw2IZ0YLdYrXWeI3-O7Xirga

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/22 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

I posted this years ago here, wonder why no one added it to one of these trucks. Or if even if it generates enough voltage to use as an extender for a EV truck.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.motortrend.com/news/worksport-terravis-solar-tonneau-cover-truck-bed-power-system/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwj1wpz5vpn5AhWTkokEHRzDDSMQtwJ6BAgHEAE&usg=AOvVaw2IZ0YLdYrXWeI3-O7Xirga

Kinda cool. But I think more practical as a maintainer than a charger for an electric vehicle. Enough to maybe maintain some HVAC while parked etc. I’m also not sure how they would integrate it into the trucks software and hardware. Interesting though.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Camping in an EV.... Always charging...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.