|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Short bed truck missing back window

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/22 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went to a local campground this weekend. Saw a short bed Dodge with plastic over the back window. I eventually got a chance to talk to the driver. He is new to towing a fifth-wheel. Had a manual sliding hitch in the truck. But didn't think he needed to slide it before backing into his site. He actually got lucky as he didn't hit the cab at all. Just broke out the window. It will only cost him about $500 to replace it.
This was a brand new Alliance Avenue with the concave corners on it.

I asked if he wanted to check out how a Pullrite Autoslider works. He said no thanks, he learned his lesson and will slide it in the future. Hope he remembers when he is maneuvering to get to a gas pump...

I'm on my second autoslider in my second truck, and have not damaged a rear window or cab in 13 years.

* This post was edited 07/26/22 05:39am by schlep1967 *

2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/22 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second autoslider and second truck for me too. I’ve been very happy for my SuperGlide on several occasions, and I also haven’t kissed the truck with my 5er. Unfortunately I too have seen several others punched out rear windows or dented cabs

Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/22 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know what's worse, not having a slider or forgetting to use it. Anyway, I'm on my second auto slider because I know I'd forget to manually use one.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/22 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I was worried about hitting my cab I’d definitely go auto slider or long box ….. manual slider wouldn’t get used in my truck.

2022 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/22 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a manual slider when I had my short box truck, with the long box there just isnt a requirment and it is so much nicer. mind you it wasn't that hard to take a second to slide it back.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

jdgreen42

Silsbee, TX 77656

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/22 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV ed for 20+ years with up to 35 ft 5th wheels, pulled to Alaska 3 times, all over lower 48- never had a slider, never needed one, never got into cab or window. Guess I was just lucky or ????

Don

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/22 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some non-sliding hitches work better than others, due to their ahead/back adjustment. Each brand of truck will differ, when placing the hitch pin center over the axle center. Ram standard bed trucks have the shortest distance from rear axle center, to back of cab.

In most cases, with the newer rounded front FWs, and a bit longer pinbox, you will not need a slider, especially with Ford or GM. You still need to be aware in extreme backing/turning, same as towing a TT or boat.

However, there will always be folks with broken windows/damaged cabs. I've seen the damage from unaware people towing any type trailer, snowmobile trailer, cargo, boat, and utility.

Jerry

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/22 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before I got my Long Bed, I had a Pullrite Superglide... It was the BEST INSURANCE policy..

The thought of not having to worry about stuff like that happening was PRICELESS...

That hitch was awesome, sold it back in 2019 for $750.00....

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/22 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdgreen42 wrote:

RV ed for 20+ years with up to 35 ft 5th wheels, pulled to Alaska 3 times, all over lower 48- never had a slider, never needed one, never got into cab or window. Guess I was just lucky or ????

I've never been to Alaska but I have towed three different 5th wheel rv trailers with short bed trucks since the early '80s.
First one was a new 1984 26' on a '84 short bed chevy. This truck even towed double with a 3400 lb bazz boat for over 8 years. This was before sliding hitch became available.
Last two were short bed 2500 Dodge/Cummins...both with a manual slider.

My current 5th wheel rv trailer is a 1997 11200 lb 32 footer with a square corners using the same manual slider. No problems.

Lucky.....luck has nothing to do with it if you pay attention to details required.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/22 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I popped out my back window the first year with my 5th wheel - in my driveway. My trailer has square corners so it definitely in the way. I don't have a slider and don't think I need one. I am just more careful how I back up. I really don't think it is ever an issue going forward, just backing up. I slow down and watch the rear of the cab on tight corners, but have never seen it get within 6" or so of the cab.

It's not fun, sounds like a gunshot hit the window. Just glad no one was in the back seat.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Short bed truck missing back window
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.