|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fifth wheel mileage question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/22 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the person who said heavier FWs often equate to quality. I also agree with the two that said, don't sweat about the mileage; pick the floor plan that works best for you. On that, I have to add that after four travel trailers and knowing what we liked and didn't when we started looking for an FW, we had every salesperson bring the slides in so we could see what that felt like as far as walking around when we stopped at a rest stop or had to spend the night in it that way at an overnight stop. That was an eye-opener. In our FW, we can access all kitchen appliances, the commode, and can sleep in it, all with the slides in. Good luck in your decision.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/22 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aerodynamics are the biggest issue but particularly in hilly/mountainous terrain, weight will have an impact.

GVWR is a good surrogate for what to expect the trailer to weigh. They don't put bigger beefier axles on unless they need them. You won't find a big difference in weight between trailers with similar GVWR. About the only exception I can think of would be if you compare a toy hauler to a standard 5er but don't take any toys. The toy haulers are designed assuming a fairly significant load in the garage.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/22 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We usually averaged between 11-12 mpg towing our 12,000 lb. 5th wheel. We averaged around 10-11 mpg towing our 15,000 lb. toyhauler. Same truck, same height, same width, heavier trailer.

IMO, I'd be more concerned about length rather than weight. Length will affect your RV site choices.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

TravelinDog

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/22 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is our 1st long trip with our new 5er, 14k gvwr. We've gone from so. NV to Reno-Elko-Boise-Lakeview-Medford so far. Tow vehicle is a 2017 Ram with Cummins 6.7.
We've driven from hot desert to high mountains and everything in between from 2700ft elevation to 7300 foot passes.
MPG has been anywhere from a high of 12.2 to 9.3.

Just say no to the payload police ">

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/22 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012 F-350 CCSB SRW 6.7 3.31 axle. 24' box 6500 lb., 27' fifth wheel 9400 lb., & 37' fifth wheel 13,500 lb all have averaged around 11 mpg. I believe that aerodynamis is most significant effect on towing mileage.

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/22 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weight matters. Getting an extra two and half tons moving in stop and go traffic requires a lot of energy or fuel. Pulling an extra 5,000# up a hill also takes a lot of juice. Weight also matters when it comes to stopping your rig as retarding all that extra momentum will create a lot of heat energy which needs to be replaced as fuel.

I always strive to always keep my weight down as much as possible by loading lightly and leaving unneeded stuff at home. Lighter rigs are easier on your truck's drive line components and will result in fuel savings. Whether the savings are that important to you is something you will have to decide.

I'm of the opinion that blaming aerodynamics as the major source of poor fuel economy is a rationalization for towing heavy.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/22 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My last 6 trips or so have been traveling the exact same 350 mile route going to visit her aging mother. I average between 8 and 13 MPG a trip. The only difference is the wind. This is with a gasser however

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fifth wheel mileage question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.