|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Plumbing issue's got me stumped

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
ADK Camper

New york

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/22 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a plumbing issue that I just can't figure out. When using the on-board fresh tank, the bathroom cold water faucet sputters like there is air in the line. No other hot or cold faucet has this problem. If I connect to an external pressurized water line, there is no problem. A possibly related issue is that after the pump reaches pressure and turns off It will hold pressure for a long time, but occasionally the pump turns on and runs continuously, apparently unable to fully pressurize the line. Opening and closing any faucet, even for a moment, causes the line to fully pressurize and the pump turns off. I cannot find a leak anywhere. So can anyone offer a theory that can account for this rather strange set of observations.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/22 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a check valve problem.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/22 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ensure that the faucets like shower and outside shower, mixer valves are closed.
Verify that if equipped, winterizing valves are in the proper location.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/22 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my water strainer bowl was cracked. acted like this.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/22 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ADK Camper wrote:

I have a plumbing issue that I just can't figure out. When using the on-board fresh tank, the bathroom cold water faucet sputters like there is air in the line. No other hot or cold faucet has this problem. If I connect to an external pressurized water line, there is no problem. A possibly related issue is that after the pump reaches pressure and turns off It will hold pressure for a long time, but occasionally the pump turns on and runs continuously, apparently unable to fully pressurize the line. Opening and closing any faucet, even for a moment, causes the line to fully pressurize and the pump turns off. I cannot find a leak anywhere. So can anyone offer a theory that can account for this rather strange set of observations.
Ok here is my theory...

The pump does not pressurize because it is pumping air. This is very inefficient and the pumping stalls so the motor runs continuous. Open any valve and some water flows and the pump primes again with water and pressurizes the system and is able to turn off.

My theory is the few air bubbles getting into the system rise in the pipe as the water flows past the sink faucet. Now you have the sputtering.

The real issue is a tiny air leak in the connection from the pump to the tank. Possibly a leak within the pump itself. Or the long shot that the water has a lot of dissolved gasses and some gas is coming out as bubbles due to temperature change.

That is all I got. Good luck.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/22 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that it is sucking air from somewhere.
Bathroom cold is only place according to OP. That is why I am thinking some device close to it.

ADK Camper

New york

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/22 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

ADK Camper wrote:

Ok here is my theory...

The pump does not pressurize because it is pumping air. This is very inefficient and the pumping stalls so the motor runs continuous. Open any valve and some water flows and the pump primes again with water and pressurizes the system and is able to turn off.

My theory is the few air bubbles getting into the system rise in the pipe as the water flows past the sink faucet. Now you have the sputtering.

The real issue is a tiny air leak in the connection from the pump to the tank. Possibly a leak within the pump itself. Or the long shot that the water has a lot of dissolved gasses and some gas is coming out as bubbles due to temperature change.

That is all I got. Good luck.

Thanks for the thoughtful, detailed response. I checked the winterizing valve and the filter on the input side of the pump. I cycled the bypass valve to ensure it was fully in the "normal" position and tightened the filter. I could actually tighten the filter's basket about a quarter turn. PROBLEM SOLVED! Thanks again for your help!

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/22 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to hear you found the problem.
Safe travels!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Plumbing issue's got me stumped
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.