|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> WIFI Light Switch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
jisaiah14

Secret

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/22 12:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello everyone! Been on and off the forums for a while now, but this is my first post.

I have a 2018 Big Country 4011ERD and I am looking to add some simply smart functions to it starting with the lights. I was wondering if anyone knows of any WIFI switches that would be direct replacements for the standard light switches. If not, does anyone know of any WIFI switches that will work as replacements? I have about 6 light switches I will want to upgrade.

Thanks for any and all help in advance!

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/22 05:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I need to ask the very first question and that is - will you have internet and a router with you wherever you go camping? If you do then great - I think any wifi switch would work provided its able to fit into the outlet. A lot of them are big and chunky and you might not have the room for them to fit in

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

jisaiah14

Secret

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/22 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

austinjenna wrote:

I guess I need to ask the very first question and that is - will you have internet and a router with you wherever you go camping? If you do then great - I think any wifi switch would work provided its able to fit into the outlet. A lot of them are big and chunky and you might not have the room for them to fit in

I will have WIFI 24/7 as I am not moving the RV.

The size is the issue. Standard switches will not work due to the size of them. 5 of the switches I want to replace are located on the same control/electronics panel on the bottom side of it with others (Water heater, etc) right above them.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/22 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If this is the standard 12 volt lighting used in most RV's, that adds a different level of complexity in finding a WiFi accessible switching system. Most of the WiFi remote switches on the market are for 120 volt use and are powered by 120 volts.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jisaiah14

Secret

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/22 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

If this is the standard 12 volt lighting used in most RV's, that adds a different level of complexity in finding a WiFi accessible switching system. Most of the WiFi remote switches on the market are for 120 volt use and are powered by 120 volts.

Yes it is 12v.

belairbrian

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/22 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you considered using light controllers vs switches.

There are LED controllers that go between the power source and the light fixture.
Typically operate on 5-28v. The module would be powered by the 12v to the light fixture.

So you can put it inline between the switch and the fixture. But you will need to use LED bulbs if you aren't already.

Here's an example.
Ignore thw power brick as the RV 12v system repalces it.

LED controllers

TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

jisaiah14

Secret

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/22 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

belairbrian wrote:

Have you considered using light controllers vs switches.

There are LED controllers that go between the power source and the light fixture.
Typically operate on 5-28v. The module would be powered by the 12v to the light fixture.

So you can put it inline between the switch and the fixture. But you will need to use LED bulbs if you aren't already.

Here's an example.
Ignore thw power brick as the RV 12v system repalces it.

***Link Removed***

Would a controller work for the switch itself? There are roughly 15 lights going to all the switches I am wanting to make WiFi controlled.

belairbrian

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/22 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to use only wifi, you would leave the switch on and put the controller wither before teh switch (better) or after it (likely easier).

If you put it before the switch, you can have the controller on but the switch would still turn them on and off (as would wifi). After the switch, would work much the same, but turning the switch off would likely require turning on the switch and turning on by wifi (the controller would loose power and would either revert to it's default state or remember last state, realy depends on the internal design of the controller).

All the controller is is a wifi controlled switch. So you are in effect putitng two sitches in series.

jisaiah14

Secret

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/22 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

belairbrian wrote:

If you want to use only wifi, you would leave the switch on and put the controller wither before teh switch (better) or after it (likely easier).

If you put it before the switch, you can have the controller on but the switch would still turn them on and off (as would wifi). After the switch, would work much the same, but turning the switch off would likely require turning on the switch and turning on by wifi (the controller would loose power and would either revert to it's default state or remember last state, realy depends on the internal design of the controller).

All the controller is is a wifi controlled switch. So you are in effect putitng two sitches in series.

I would most likely put it after the switch as that would be easier and I could keep the switch on all the time with no issues (the RV stays hooked up to shore power anyways). Just need to find a switch that will work and one that is small enough so 5 could fit in the same compartment (or a couple of switches that could have multiple of the light switches wired into it).

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/22 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not seen Wi-Fi switches for 12 volt. 120 yes 12 no.

I've seen RF-Remote for 12 volt.. But not Wi-Fi.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> WIFI Light Switch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.