|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Propane fridge not working as good

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/22 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

swimmer_spe wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

https://www.rvtravel.com/does-your-refrigerator-have-indigestion-burp-that-baby/

Thank you. I'll look into it and maybe give it a good burp.

Burping NEVER fixes a partial or completely block Cooling unit. Waste of time. Doug

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/22 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

swimmer_spe wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

https://www.rvtravel.com/does-your-refrigerator-have-indigestion-burp-that-baby/

Burping NEVER fixes a partial or completely block Cooling unit. Waste of time. Doug

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/22 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug, and what advice do you have have that is maybe helpful to the situation? I did say some like it and some dont? And i believe I said to do it as a last resort? At least now we know where you stand. Almost like we needed the helpful advice. Oh, no , we didnt. Lol.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/22 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Hi Doug, I know its a long shot, but sometimes we get lucky with burping a fridge, [emoticon]
Mine died completely one cold winter of being FT in Alberta.

I had nothing to lose, so:

I took the fridge out, rolled it end over end multiple times, waiting a few minutes between each flip, and then I reinstalled it. I gave it about 24 hours to "settle down" before running it. It worked flawlessly for years and was still working long after I sold the TT.

I know it doesn't always work, but sometimes it does. [emoticon]

I think it was an RM2562 - 2652?

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/22 11:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

swimmer_spe wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

I understand that it may or may not work. However, if after doing the other things it still acts up, doing a burp won't hurt it any worse than not burping it. Besides, this may be our last season with this RV and I'd rather fix it than not, but not spend crazy money to fix it.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/22 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

Doug, and what advice do you have have that is maybe helpful to the situation? I did say some like it and some dont? And i believe I said to do it as a last resort? At least now we know where you stand. Almost like we needed the helpful advice. Oh, no , we didnt. Lol.

I am just stating a FACT. After 43 years as a RV tech, I think I would know what works and what does NOT work. If a person wants to take the time to remove the refer and then spend a couple of days rotating the refer and then reinstalling. Then do it. A LOT of work for something that will not work. Years ago People with a blocked refer would burp when selling and the refer "appears" to work when they sell it, but a few days later it is blocked again and the new owner is stuck. Newbies have no idea how much RV refers cost and cost to replace a cooling unit. Blocked refers, the freezer will work, THAT is what gets buyers to think the refer is OK. Doug

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/22 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

before you get into "burping" or other stuff have you verified that the gas jet is not obstructed and that you get a nice blue flame on the burner?

I've found that the jet is easily obstructed by even part of a spider web or piece of dirt it is so small and a blast of air will clean it out and be back to normal.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/22 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1999 is pretty old fridge. When you give up completely and if you can get to Indiana, check our National RV Refrigeration North of Shipshewana. They know their stuff. They rebuild units, install scratch and dent units, or install new units all at likely less money than anywhere else. They also do AC.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/22 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

I am just stating a FACT. After 43 years as a RV tech, I think I would know what works and what does NOT work. If a person wants to take the time to remove the refer and then spend a couple of days rotating the refer and then reinstalling. Then do it. A LOT of work for something that will not work. Years ago People with a blocked refer would burp when selling and the refer "appears" to work when they sell it, but a few days later it is blocked again and the new owner is stuck. Newbies have no idea how much RV refers cost and cost to replace a cooling unit. Blocked refers, the freezer will work, THAT is what gets buyers to think the refer is OK. Doug

Ok so it works just dosen't last? Trying to read in between the lines. I dont know how it would appear to work. It works or it dosen't. I get it may not last, depends whats in the tubes blocking it. I do know with the smaller ones, people have had sucess that lasted years.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/22 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

Ok so it works just dosen't last? Trying to read in between the lines. I dont know how it would appear to work. It works or it dosen't. I get it may not last, depends whats in the tubes blocking it. I do know with the smaller ones, people have had sucess that lasted years.

[image]

If it doesn't last or last long, did it really "make it work"?

So, one must ask themselves the question, how many times per trip am I willing to remove a 120+ lb fridge, turn it upside down, turn it back over then reinstall it and cross all your fingers and toes and hope it works again for the rest of the trip????

Really, if it is dead (IE not working properly), either do a proper repair (like a new cooling unit) or replace entire fridge.

Burping is a temporary bandaid which may last 1 hr or it may last yrs, one really does not know for sure since there is no magic window to peer in to see where the blockages are. Once you start having internal crystallization (which is what creates the blockages) the game is over, one crystal begats another and another each cycle..

Take a fridge out ONCE and I can assure you that you really will not wish to do that again.. Bigger fridges takes two people, might get away with one person on a 3 cuft ones but anything of 10 cu ft or larger you are in the 120 lb+ weight and they are insanely top heavy.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Propane fridge not working as good
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.