RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Your Opinion On Air Bags

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Your Opinion On Air Bags

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
eHoefler

ozark mountains

Senior Member

Joined: 10/22/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/02/22 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have sway, your equalizer needs to be reset. Sway is caused by a light steer axle. The only way to add weight to the steer axle, is to tighten up the bars, or increase the capacity of the bars. Bags will not increase steer axle weight, in some cases it can make it worse


2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 04/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 08/02/22 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Air bags "expensive."
Air bags "saves fuel."

OP nowhere to be found.

I think y'all been TROLLED.


Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 02/23/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/02/22 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes they do help with sagging. I no not have the on board remote compressor. But I would get the ones that have an internal bump stop, with out them I have to keep 5# min pressure.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/02/22 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Air bags "expensive."
Air bags "saves fuel."

OP nowhere to be found.

I think y'all been TROLLED.


Nailed it!


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/02/22 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

mkirsch wrote:

Air bags "expensive."
Air bags "saves fuel."

OP nowhere to be found.

I think y'all been TROLLED.


Nailed it!


Well, it's only been a day, but hopefully OP returns to the thread.


2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Larryzv7

Fairfield, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/27/2007

View Profile



Posted: 08/02/22 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a shop a couple of years ago tell me that I could benefit from getting air bags, then recently I had some work done at Camping World and a person in the Service Department highly recommended air bags for towing, he was the one that told me they would improve gas mileage.

Camping World does not install air bags so they recommended a couple of shops to me. The shops I called also told me air bags would improve handling and gas mileage when towing. I did not ask how they improve gas mileage. But all of the shops I called wanted between $1,500 and $2,100, depending on whether I wanted an onboard compressor or not. I imagine they are a lot cheaper if you buy and install them yourself.

That is why I thought I’d ask for some input here on this forum. I did some research online and there are lots of websites that say air bags do help with fuel economy. Here are a couple of those websites:

StrutMasters

ATS


2012 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Ecoboost
2012 Heartland Prowler 5th Wheel



valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/02/22 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Larryzv7 wrote:

I had a shop a couple of years ago tell me that I could benefit from getting air bags, then recently I had some work done at Camping World and a person in the Service Department highly recommended air bags for towing, he was the one that told me they would improve gas mileage.

Camping World does not install air bags so they recommended a couple of shops to me. The shops I called also told me air bags would improve handling and gas mileage when towing. I did not ask how they improve gas mileage. But all of the shops I called wanted between $1,500 and $2,100, depending on whether I wanted an onboard compressor or not. I imagine they are a lot cheaper if you buy and install them yourself.

That is why I thought I’d ask for some input here on this forum. I did some research online and there are lots of websites that say air bags do help with fuel economy. Here are a couple of those websites:

StrutMasters

ATS


Quote from strutmasters: "The additional weight on the vehicle can cause the engine to work harder and burn more fuel. This is because towing heavy cargo affects traditional suspension systems’ performance. For example, the extra weight can reduce or flatten the arch and springs of a truck’s rear leaf spring suspension. This decreases the springs’ ability to support the weight so the back of the truck sags or bottoms out. As a result, the extra weight puts pressure on the axle and wheels, which presses the tires into the ground, creating added roll resistance."

What a load of marketing BS!!!

The only thing they said that is somewhat related to airbags & MPG is extra rolling resistance from heavily loaded tires....but the extra weight on the tires doesn't simply disappear with airbags. You might need different adjustments on your WDH with or without airbags but the weight on each axle should be pretty close to the same once you are done adjusting.

If you are bottoming out the springs, 10-1 you are grossly overloaded and you will still be overloaded with the airbags.

Edit: Maybe they are filling them with helium, so they actually create lift?

* This post was edited 08/02/22 02:51pm by valhalla360 *


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/02/22 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Larryzv7 wrote:



Quote from strutmasters: "The additional weight on the vehicle can cause the engine to work harder and burn more fuel. This is because towing heavy cargo affects traditional suspension systems’ performance. For example, the extra weight can reduce or flatten the arch and springs of a truck’s rear leaf spring suspension. This decreases the springs’ ability to support the weight so the back of the truck sags or bottoms out. As a result, the extra weight puts pressure on the axle and wheels, which presses the tires into the ground, creating added roll resistance."

What a load of marketing BS!!!

The only thing they said that is somewhat related to airbags & MPG is extra rolling resistance from heavily loaded tires....but the extra weight on the tires doesn't simply disappear with airbags. You might need different adjustments on your WDH with or without airbags but the weight on each axle should be pretty close to the same once you are done adjusting.

If you are bottoming out the springs, 10-1 you are grossly overloaded and you will still be overloaded with the airbags.


Agreed, this is simple physics. Unless the bags are hot air balloons the weight doesn't magically disappear from the axles or tires. The MPG claim, is just that. A claim. There are no physics or data to support it.

OP, air bags won't solve any problem other than levelling which "might" have some by-product effect and raise the front of the TT and might have a slight impact on your issue. But fishtailing is about an overloaded TT, weight not distributed correctly on the TT, or your truck is simply not rated for the task. Air bags won't really fix any of that.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/02/22 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Larryzv7 wrote:

I had a shop a couple of years ago tell me that I could benefit from getting air bags, then recently I had some work done at Camping World and a person in the Service Department highly recommended air bags for towing, he was the one that told me they would improve gas mileage.

Camping World does not install air bags so they recommended a couple of shops to me. The shops I called also told me air bags would improve handling and gas mileage when towing. I did not ask how they improve gas mileage. But all of the shops I called wanted between $1,500 and $2,100, depending on whether I wanted an onboard compressor or not. I imagine they are a lot cheaper if you buy and install them yourself.

That is why I thought I’d ask for some input here on this forum. I did some research online and there are lots of websites that say air bags do help with fuel economy. Here are a couple of those websites:

StrutMasters

ATS

May want to stay away from shops that will charge you $500-1000 per hour!
And or buy a couple wrenches.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 10/03/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/10/22 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I will bet you have "P" LOAD RANGE TIRES. Change out to "E" load range tires and inflate based on weight plus 5 psi rear and 10 psi fronts.

This was going to be my suggestion. Air bags will stiffen up the rear suspension, but not improve any of the underlying issues with having a truck that isn't heavy enough. Soft tires that come OEM on most half ton trucks will give you the majority of your squirm feeling.

If you have E rated tires and are aired up to make the sidewalls pretty stiff, air bags could help stiffen up the feeling of the suspension, thus giving you a better feeling during towing.

If you have the F150 with max HD, you should have an already a stiffer suspension and probably E rated tires. I'm not sure if you have max HD (weight carrying) or max towing package based upon your initial post.

In terms of helping with mileage... not a chance. The $300 or $400 cost of the bags, plus any installation, would be better spent on buying a hundred gallons or so of gas.


2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Your Opinion On Air Bags
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.