|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rear Fiberglass Cap Damage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
TechWriter

Part-Timing Again

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/22 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a very bad day when our Jeep toad apparently kissed our RV's rear end during a hard stop. No interior damage, just the outer fiberglass skin (and ladder).

Estimated cost to repair ???

[image]

[image]

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/22 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To get a proper estimate I think you'll have to take it to a shop. And although there is no visible interior damage, water intrusion can mess things up a bit.

But how did the Jeep hit the rear of the RV if the tow bars were set up properly?

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/22 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cannot understand how the Jeep did that unless the Jeep flipped up??? Any damage to the Jeep?

Can't help with the cost to repair, but in my younger days I would have done the fiberglass repair myself.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/22 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the damage to the towbar and jeep? Is the towbar level within specs? Do you have an aux brake and if so did it operate correctly? When was the last time you checked the aux brake?

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis

Southern California :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/22 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think this will be a major repair but it will still be expensive. Could have been much worse.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/22 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, toad cam unhooked and rear ended the camper? Ouch
Good luck with the repair. It’s an old Moho so either junkyard parts or fix it.
If you can’t do glass work and gel or paint yourself, I’d remove the broken piece and see if you can find a boat repair place to do it. It’s fixable.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/22 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Out of curiosity though I can’t figure out how it didn’t hit lower on the Moho, like in the bumper area.

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/22 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TechWriter,

Sorry to hear of your accident. I know it's a 21 year old rig, but still relatively new to you, so boo-boos like this seem to have an extra-sting to them when they happen. Still, keeping a focus on the overall age of the rig might be helpful.

I think repair costs are going to depend upon where you are in the country and how good of a repair job you want. Considering this is a 21 year old rig, I think you'll have to carefully weigh the repair options. There are some places that will only do A1 top quality work, and that'll cost you. On the other hand, you might find someone that will patch it up and make it look pretty good, that will be cheaper. It might be good if you knew which type of repair you'd be happy with and discuss that when your getting estimates.

By any chance would your insurance cover any of this?

If you have a Vocational School nearby that has an auto body shop, they might be able to patch it up for you so that it looks pretty decent without costing you an arm and a leg. Many places don't want to do body work on rigs unless they can get them into their garage for protection, which rules out many of the normal automotive body shops. But you might find someone that will work on it outdoors who is willing to be at the mercy of the weather for repairs & painting. Of course, that may require some extra patience with the weather on your part, as well.

To be honest, though I'm sure the pictures don't show everything, I think if you can get that crack repaired and painted, with a few other touch up spots and a new ladder, it'll look pretty good. Not like the original, but does it really matter?

Lastly, like the others, I would really be interested in hearing more about this incident. Was it a failure of the base plate/connection on the Jeep and it rode up the tow bar when you stopped? Or was it operator error? It does seem that the Jeep hit pretty high up on the back of the rig.

I know if that was my rig, I'd give the repair a shot myself. It wouldn't be perfect, but I think it could easily be made so that folks would only notice it on a second look. On a 21 year old rig, I'd easily convince myself to settle with that to save thousands. [emoticon]

Good Luck, and please keep us updated on what you get for estimates and what you decide.

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (26-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (21), 2 boys (22 & 19).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/22 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since the tow bar is hinged up/down on both ends I think the front of jeep went up with the towbar and the 2 largest marks below and either side of the license plate are from the towbar and jeep base plate. ie The towbar was vertical when contact was made.

OP measute the towbar to confirm. There might be marks on the Jeep PS from the ladder.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/22 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Techwriter,

First things first, find an RV dealer that knows about this coach and get his appraisal. Anything else is just a guess....

Next and I mean NOW, find some nice white Duck Tape and make the holes weather proof. You don't know what is inside there and it might get really bad if it is left open.

You don't give us any idea what your capabilities are, but the ladder is just a search out and buy new tubing (~500$ it is an RV). If I still did glass repair, I could make the surface damage pretty for about a day (8~1K$+ paint= 12~1.5K). Don't count to hard on on my numbers, I have been out of the boat business for a few years. Again, I don't know what is inside there, so I could be WAY off.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rear Fiberglass Cap Damage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.