RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Panic Water buying Again?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Panic Water buying Again?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/22 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lawnspecialties wrote:

Don't forget the toilet paper and paper towels. They're next if you remember.

Fortunately, the long term hotel, where I'm staying,supplies all the TP I need.[emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/22 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For whatever reason, we're finding empty shelves where the distilled water should be. I use it for nasal irrigation and the water in my CPAP. Used to feed it to my cat, but I moved him to bottled drinking water and he seems totally fine with it.

There appears to be no particular rhyme or reason to the shortages.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

loralli23

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/22 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People who buy so much water are strange. I understand only those who have a large family. Sometimes I also buy a lot of water because everyone in my family drinks a lot of water. We also spend a lot of time actively outside, especially when I read on https://betterme.world/articles/walking-2-miles-a-day/ how useful walking is. Each of us takes 1.5 liters of water and we go for a walk

* This post was edited 08/15/22 04:33am by loralli23 *

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/22 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

loralli23 wrote:

People who buy so much water are strange. I understand only those who have a large family. Sometimes I also buy a lot of water because everyone in my family drinks a lot of water

As world and national situations continue to deteriorate, it's probably not a bad idea to have a reasonable overabundance of such important products such as water and non perishable food items, IMHO. I'm mostly focused on water at this time since it's the most important commodity. I have a very small stock of canned items, not a long term emergency supply.

What about tap water? I have a strong aversion to city water from the tap, which sometimes smells of chlorine, or has some other off-putting quality. Of course, I would drink it if dying of thirst was a probability, but I'll avoid it if I can.

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/22 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Are you sure it's panic buying and not a supply chain issue to re-stock the shelves?
Supply would be my first guess, our WalMart will be stocked full of various items, including water, the next week, there's none to be found, totally empty shelves, next week shelves are full again to the point that pallets are setting in the isle.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/22 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only drink bottle water when I am home. Beer also works for me. I have also noticed that the shelve for distilled water is empty most of the time. The shelves here are well stocked with bottle water. My ice comes from tap water so tap water is what I drink. For hurricanes we boil water and place it in Masson Jars. The hot water causes the jars to seal. The water will keep for several years.

* This post was edited 08/19/22 05:59pm by miltvill *

2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/22 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stock water in anticipation of a hurricane here in Florida. We keep a good supply handy, then take it camping for drininkg water, hiking, etc. We keep a stock of easy to fix meals too. And have a camp stove if we lose power, and a few oil lanterns for light. Only needed it once last season, but nice to have supplies instead of needing when the time is right. We continuously cycle old to old as we buy it. Paper products too.

We store it all in a pantry, use it at home when needed. Fill the camper when we go travling... Restock when we return. Works for us.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/22 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr. Ed, have you considered a filtering pitcher? I used one while at university in Canyon (just south of Amarillo), and it did a great job of removing the chlorine and other off tastes. I kept it in the refrigerator.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/22 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

We stock water in anticipation of a hurricane here in Florida. We keep a good supply handy, then take it camping for drininkg water, hiking, etc. We keep a stock of easy to fix meals too. And have a camp stove if we lose power, and a few oil lanterns for light. Only needed it once last season, but nice to have supplies instead of needing when the time is right. We continuously cycle old to old as we buy it. Paper products too.

We store it all in a pantry, use it at home when needed. Fill the camper when we go travling... Restock when we return. Works for us.

Yep, I used to have a camping stove (ran on a liquid fuel,and you needed to pressurize the fuel by pushing a rod on the fuel tank in and out). I cooked many a good meal on it. It's a handy device for emergency,or even every day use. [emoticon]

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/22 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wanderlost wrote:

Mr. Ed, have you considered a filtering pitcher? I used one while at university in Canyon (just south of Amarillo), and it did a great job of removing the chlorine and other off tastes. I kept it in the refrigerator.

I used to have one of those water purifyng pitchers you mentioned. It might have been Brita, but I don't remember. I have no good explanation why I stopped using it, except I just got used to buying bottled water at the markets where I shop for other items. I should really give the purifier another chance. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Panic Water buying Again?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.