RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Panic Water buying Again?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Panic Water buying Again?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/22 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

I can only guess, people are stocking up again due to the recent monkeypox scare, very similar to the last 2 years of covid.

It is tempting to suggest just who the Monkeys are but ... Not here.

And to be honest. it would not be honest.

However I'm not sure the Pox is the only thing. I keep reading in the press about water becoming kind of a problem.. The Colorado river and thus Lake Mead and Lake Powell are at record low levels.. Texas is in a drought and more... People may be thinking "Peak use rates" type things. Kind of like what I do with kilowatts... I tend to shut down from 2-7 pm Mon-Fri... Long print jobs (more than 19 hours) Get done on the weekend (Doing a 27 hour job, one of 2, as I type) (3-D Printer it's only 65 watts but way pay over double for those 65 Watts?)

as for Monkey pox... Most bottled water is regular water from the same source as municipal supplies.. Like the Colorado. or Lake Michigan..
It is filtered rather well but I seriously doubt it's "Virus level" filtered.. And most of the "non targeted" virus killers... will kill you too so not treated (Virus specific killers are called vaccines)

A PUR or Brita filter would be as good as (if not better) than bottled water (Cheaper too) I think Brita uses Silver in their filters.. Silver I don't think will do much for viruses (NOT SURE!!!) but most harmful bacteria.. Does not care to be around silver (tends to get Dead Fast) Beneficial bacteria (yes there is such a thing) Silver seems not to bother it.. and though enough silver can cause some issues. like Skin discoloration, in humans.. Takes a whole lot of it to make you sick or dead.. A whole lot (Only heavy metal that's non-toxic) Source.. Documents I read back in 1977 before the internet.

Silver, by the way, is the active ingredient in the ointment they smeared on my 2nd and 3rd Degree burns.. They healed nicely.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/22 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes, there's a lot on the news regarding the drying up of water sources, especially in the western US; all in spite of large amounts of recent rainfall. I'm also aware of the antibacterial properties of silver. in fact, I think silver nitrate (?) used to be put in newborn baby's eyes as a preventive measure (don't know if it's still done). [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Panic Water buying Again?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.