RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Panic Water buying Again?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Panic Water buying Again?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/22 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm finding here, in Amarillo TX, that supermarkets are selling out of gallon drinking water bottles as fast as they can stock them. Local United Markets, and Walmart show the same situation. At least Walmart has plenty of distilled water, which I'll buy in a pinch, but I suppose they will start disappearing eventually.

I can only guess, people are stocking up again due to the recent monkeypox scare, very similar to the last 2 years of covid. I don't know if toilet paper is having the same fate, since my hotel supplies it. Anyhow, I don't blame folks for stocking up on water, especially if they have a family. Since I live by myself I only keep around 3 extra gallons in my apartment. I don't mind using distilled water temporarily, but try to avoid drinking too much, since I believe it may leach minerals from the body over the long term. I just make sure I take my supplements and vitamins each day.[emoticon] Are you seeing the same situation where you live? Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/22 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you sure it's panic buying and not a supply chain issue to re-stock the shelves?

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/22 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've noticed absolutely no reduction in water for sale, any more than has been all summer. I drank distilled water for years with no ill effects, so the "leach minerals" sounds pretty bogus, and maybe a Facebook urban legend? [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/22 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plenty of bottled water here in GA. Sams club has about 10 pallets just on the floor.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

lawnspecialties

Garner, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/22 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget the toilet paper and paper towels. They're next if you remember.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/22 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could it be because of the drought and people are afraid they will run out of drinking water? I doubt monkeypox has anything to do with it.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/22 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The level of Lake Michigan is dropping.. NESTLES bottled water.. Much of it comes from Lake Michigan.. (Additional comments about Nestles omitted).

Coca Cola. not sure where they get their water from but I know a restaurant that sells 16.9 oz for $1.69.. or did when last I was there, and people buy it.

These same people who are paying $12.80/gallon for water whine about 4.00/gallon for gasoline. (Departmetn of Some People) I drank tap water for $0.00.

Get a Filter. I've used both PUR and Britta refrigerator filters and several "in-line" filters. all worked well... I think Britta (not sure on this might be PUR)contains an SAFE anti-bacterial element (Literally an element.. Silver) that kills harmful bacteria but 1: The Pox is a virus not a bacteria and 2: Silver is basically harmless to humans (Enough and it can discolor your skin but takes a lot and still not dangerous) (multiple pre-internet sources).

Gallons of clean water for Well Cents per gallon,.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/22 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

The level of Lake Michigan is dropping.. NESTLES bottled water.. Much of it comes from Lake Michigan...

Lake Michigan levels near record highs

Having lived with 10 miles of Lake Michigan for much of my adult life, I have observed cycles of lake levels. There is a compact between states and Canada that border the lake. The compact limits withdrawal of water to communities that lie within the Lake Michigan watershed.

Probably not an issue with respect to regional shortages.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (16-year-old Terrier of some sort)
Winnie 4 1/2 year old golden
Sasha and many others at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/22 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nestle doesn’t bottle water from lake MI; their bottling facility in Evart Mi is > 60miles from the lake.

For me, bottled water is just a convenience (for which we should pay); I prefer to drink my own well water. I have lived in areas where bottled or filtered water is preferable to the available tap water. Bottled water may be safer than refilling a reusable bottle if you are not sanitizing the reusable bottle.

* This post was edited 08/05/22 07:39am by BCSnob *

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/22 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Are you sure it's panic buying and not a supply chain issue to re-stock the shelves?

I guess that's a possibility I haven't considered. The situation just appeared over the last couple of days. There had always been a good supply at my local Walmart until recently. Same with the other market I use, United. What I should do is look for water machines in my area. I had used them alot when I was living in Yuma Az.[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Panic Water buying Again?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.