RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Coffee Quality?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

 > Coffee Quality?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/06/2002

View Profile



Posted: 08/08/22 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I tried grinding and brewing the whole beans "cowboy style", like I used to. The result: threw out $10 worth of whole bean coffee. I had a chance to test sniff 2 brands of ground coffee before purchase, Starbucks and Grevalia. The Starbucks smelled like urine, and the Grevalia didn't smell like coffee at all (and there's nothing wrong with my sense of smell). I've used Grevalia brand often in the not too distant past, so I know what it should smell like.

My next step will be to try a different market. Instead of buying coffee today, I put the savings towards a couple of pounds of red cherries. At least they taste good! [emoticon]


Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)


Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

Senior Member

Joined: 10/07/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/08/22 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

Well, I tried grinding and brewing the whole beans "cowboy style", like I used to. The result: threw out $10 worth of whole bean coffee. I had a chance to test sniff 2 brands of ground coffee before purchase, Starbucks and Grevalia. The Starbucks smelled like urine, and the Grevalia didn't smell like coffee at all (and there's nothing wrong with my sense of smell). I've used Grevalia brand often in the not too distant past, so I know what it should smell like.

My next step will be to try a different market. Instead of buying coffee today, I put the savings towards a couple of pounds of red cherries. At least they taste good! [emoticon]


Well, you got my curiosity up, so I popped the lid on my daily go to ground coffee. And surprise, it smelled like... coffee. Oh, and it's plain old Folgers medium grind Classic Decaf that I prepare in our plain old Mr Coffee drip machine that only has an on/off switch.


Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate


fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 08/08/22 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ugh, I remember the old Mr. Coffee coffee makers, they were the worst thing to happen to coffee. They just warmed the water and pumped it over the grounds, so you could drink it immediately after it filled the pot, but it was so awful you didn't want to. [emoticon]


Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/08/22 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guy Roan wrote:

Want a good cup ?
Buy a bag of eight O'clock whole bean Dark Italian Espresso, and a bag of Eight O'clock Columbian Peaks.

Guy


True story (related) Some years ago some TV show or Magazine (Long enough I forget which) or newspaper did a "Coffee Tasting" thing where they brewed a lot of different coffees (Note this was long enough ago that you got the 8 O'Clock brand at an A&P store so you know it was long ago) (IT was A&P's house brand before the stores closed).

8 O'Clock was the winner .

Something to be said for fresh ground.

I may have mentioned making coffee for a crowd.. Again the day I needed to make 3 pots (30 cup type) instead of just one with left over.. Fresh Ground that morning on the way to the event.

I often fresh grind myself.. but whole bean can be hard to find now days (Opinion of that.. Omitted due to not wishing to melt monitors).


Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times


Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

Senior Member

Joined: 10/07/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/08/22 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Ugh, I remember the old Mr. Coffee coffee makers, they were the worst thing to happen to coffee. They just warmed the water and pumped it over the grounds, so you could drink it immediately after it filled the pot, but it was so awful you didn't want to. [emoticon]


I remember those too, but the current basic models do a much better job of heating the water to the "let it cool down" for a few minutes before taking normal swallows. Putting a fresh brewed pot in our Air Pot carafe keeps it drinking hot for hours.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 08/08/22 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

...
I often fresh grind myself.. but whole bean can be hard to find now days (Opinion of that.. Omitted due to not wishing to melt monitors).
Hmm, where do you shop? I've noticed absolutely no shortage of whole beans at all. Lots on the shelves, and lots of variety.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/06/2002

View Profile



Posted: 08/09/22 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

mr. ed wrote:

Well, I tried grinding and brewing the whole beans "cowboy style", like I used to. The result: threw out $10 worth of whole bean coffee. I had a chance to test sniff 2 brands of ground coffee before purchase, Starbucks and Grevalia. The Starbucks smelled like urine, and the Grevalia didn't smell like coffee at all (and there's nothing wrong with my sense of smell). I've used Grevalia brand often in the not too distant past, so I know what it should smell like.

My next step will be to try a different market. Instead of buying coffee today, I put the savings towards a couple of pounds of red cherries. At least they taste good! [emoticon]


Well, you got my curiosity up, so I popped the lid on my daily go to ground coffee. And surprise, it smelled like... coffee. Oh, and it's plain old Folgers medium grind Classic Decaf that I prepare in our plain old Mr Coffee drip machine that only has an on/off switch.


Thanks for that, Dutch. I may just try Folgers ("The best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup"), so goes the song! [emoticon]

Coffee is practically a necessity when I'm having my homemade whole wheat pancakes, like I had this morning. It really wasn't the same without coffee accompaniment. Tea just wouldn't work, either [emoticon]

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/06/2002

View Profile



Posted: 08/11/22 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a bag of ground coffee this morning at a different market. Got it home and gave the smell test. It was very vaguely like coffee with a sort of burnt smell. I brewed a cup in my usual manner just to see if it was usable. No way! I got my money back, and will probably give up on coffee for a month or so, and then see if the quality improves.

I wonder if weather conditions are affecting the coffee crop, and growers are packaging it anyway? Coffee just isn’t the same as I remember it not too long ago. [emoticon]

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/11/22 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe where and who you are buying your coffee from needs to change. Do you have a local coffee shop (not a chain) nearby? Grocery stores aren't known for great coffee. That's why coffee shops exist.

* This post was edited 08/11/22 04:43pm by an administrator/moderator *


2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/06/2002

View Profile



Posted: 08/14/22 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Maybe where and who you are buying your coffee from needs to change. Do you have a local coffee shop (not a chain) nearby? Grocery stores aren't known for great coffee. That's why coffee shops exist.


I don't know, but I could check it out. Thanks for the suggestion. (•?•)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

 > Coffee Quality?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.