RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Coffee Quality?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Coffee Quality?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/22 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

So, I decided to drink a cup of coffee and it didn't have the same aroma as before. I wonder if the manufacturer has gotten worse or if it's me?

...I noticed the same thing. From the three well known brands we buy regularly. Over the past maybe 6 to 7 months, a bag of roasted bean from any of the three randomly had the post-roast smell and taste of a mediocre bean.

From what I have been able to determine, producing countries gauge the dried bean size, and blend with numerous other finca's beans, then sack it, and ship here to North America. So, we are likely NOT getting a bean grown from a single finca (coffee farm). I imagine that you can find a State-side importer that can guarantee you a pre-roasted green bean from a single coffee farm (say, a bean grown at 6000 feet, in high mountains of Guatemala for proper acid content). You can then buy a home-scale roasting machine, and roast it yourself, then grind and brew.

I've actually participated in the picking of cherries one season at a coffee finca on the slope of a volcano in Guatemala. Then, depulping (concrete vats filled with water and hand-crank depulper, and after, raking out the depulped beans on 100 foot long black plastic tarps on the ground, and occasionally raking the tarped beans to expose to the sun to more thoroughly dry....etc

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

loralli23

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/22 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love to drink latte, but for some reason after a month break, the taste is not as rich as it was before. When I read the article https://betterme.world/articles/garlic-water-benefits/ , I decided to try to drink only water for a whole month. It worked very well for me, the garlic water improved my immunity and the lemon water helped to improve my metabolism. Now I don't even really want to drink coffee or any juices

* This post was edited 11/14/22 04:03pm by loralli23 *

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/22 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still drink a lot of coffee.... (Well 24-48 oz most days (48oz days are rare).

The quality of some brands has if you will pardon the pun "Gone to Pot"

Now if you want GOOD coffee https://www.theunseenbean.com/ is, as I recall, the web page to order from .. Roasted on a Monday. Shipped on Tuesday. in your Cup likely by Saturday.. Also he grinds it very fine for auto-drip if you specify auto-drip. (More flavor)..

The only thing is he never sees it (It is after all the UNSEEN Bean)

He's blind you see.

But it's mighty fine coffee.

Now I remember when Maxwell house advertised Good to the very last drop.

Alas.. the last can I bought.. was Maxwell.. I'll be glad when I run out
I may have to order more unseen.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/22 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was put through the school of hard knocks as I learned how to properly roast coffee. I bought green beans from a Finca (plantation) I had visited. The gunntsacks were put on a bus in Tapachula about 10 miles from the Guatemala border. I roasted 3 Kg batches in a peanut squirrel cage after the girls finished baking their cookies for sale.

The beans have to rest for a day or two, and I had a very large porch. I used a wire very tined yard rake to stir the beans around.

The end result was the finest cups of coffee I've ever drank. But now the tough part. The beans lost their character after a week or so. I was hoping to build a sterl cylinder with removable lid. After loading, it was supposed to be drawn down to a vacuum with an air conditioner high vacuum pump.

In the end, I enjoyed excellent coffee. But it sure was a lot of work.

covetsthesun

missouri

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/22 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know about whole beans...but. A few months ago, Folgers announced thru Costco that they were "puffing" the beans... same great taste...same number of cups. We haven't yet tried the "puffed" coffee...but wondering if that has something to do with the lack of taste??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Coffee Quality?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.