RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Our most used adapters when towing with an Electric Vehicle.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Our most used adapters when towing with an Electric Vehicle.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/22 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

The advice I give RVers is to cary a FULL SET of adapters so you can do whatever you need Looks like you are doing precisely that.

Good morning Wa8YXM. We actually carry a couple of others as well including both an old dryer and new dryer to 14-50 although we have never used them.

Although our most used adapter is the TT30 the one that came in handy a couple times was the 5-20. Some touristy spots are re-purposing (and re-branding) their winter block heater plugs as EV charging plugs for tourists. And surprisingly many are 5-20. We used them a couple times while doing the touristy thing. We noticed some in campgrounds as well but we just used the TT30 there.

Cheers.

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/22 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a good thing we don't need adapters to put energy in our gas or diesel tanks. Nothing worse than having proprietary plugs and receptacles to achieve the goal of charging batteries. Similar to all the different versions of plugs for electronic gadgets.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/22 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherman wrote:

It's a good thing we don't need adapters to put energy in our gas or diesel tanks. Nothing worse than having proprietary plugs and receptacles to achieve the goal of charging batteries. Similar to all the different versions of plugs for electronic gadgets.

Good morning Fisherman. You may have misunderstood. These are all standard AC receptacles in a campground. It just allows the vehicle owner to plug into various common outlets on the AC side. None of those receptacles are proprietary.

Hope that helps.

Lwiddis

Southern California :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/22 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are renting a 30 amp site, you are entitled to use 30 amps…A/C, charging, whatever.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/22 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherman wrote:

Well. you are mistaken.. I've seen adapters for just that use. (Though they are rare these days) In the old days some cars could only use one of.. generally. 3 pumps. or else they had to use an adapter.

There are other considerations as well. Today I can not use one of three gasoline pumps with my Ride.. (The other two work fine) And it's best not to try and adapt. (I might get away with it for say a half mile but I truly don't wish to try it)

And this is a high-gasoline-usage month for me.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/22 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Fisherman wrote:

Good morning Fisherman. You may have misunderstood. These are all standard AC receptacles in a campground. It just allows the vehicle owner to plug into various common outlets on the AC side. None of those receptacles are proprietary.

Hope that helps.

Partially, I'm aware of the different 120 15/20/30 amp plugs and 240 15/20/etc. Do all the EV's have the same receptacle on the vehicle?

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/22 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherman wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Fisherman wrote:

Hope that helps.

Partially, I'm aware of the different 120 15/20/30 amp plugs and 240 15/20/etc. Do all the EV's have the same receptacle on the vehicle?

Yes and no. So in this topic we have been talking about charging at a campground or family or friends driveway or whatever. That is called L1 (120 volt) or L2 (240 volt) charging and it essentially uses a charge cable that plugs into the campground pedestal or wall or whatever and delivers either 120 or 240 volt AC power to the cars charger via a common J1772 protocol connecter. All EV’s including Tesla use the J1772 protocol for L1 or L2 charging. Teslas plug is shaped different because it uses the same plug for AC and DC, but Tesla gives you a sleeve that fits over the J1772 connector so it works with Teslas too.

DC fast charging is a different animal and that involves a couple different adapters. Happy to discuss it but maybe best not to do it on this thread as it will get confusing and doesn’t come into play in the campground.

Cheers.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/22 04:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few more of these towing and in campgrounds, the rate is going up $20-$30 per night! Hopefully just for the EV TV’s!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/22 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

If you are renting a 30 amp site, you are entitled to use 30 amps…A/C, charging, whatever.

But are you entitled?

A short burst at 30amps to kick over the air/con compressor, sure.
A steady draw at 30amps for hours, I suspect the owner may not agree when the electric bill comes due or when they get complaints about the park having power outages.

Now, it may be that the owner needs to update their rules to clarify what is and is not allowed (and I've seen owners put out similar rules for things like outdoor fridges) but this is far outside the expected usage for a 30amp site. A stray EV charges once a month, probably never makes it onto their radar. This doesn't imply it's fair to abuse the system just that the owner may not be aware of the issue.

Unfortunately, as we move beyond early adopters, this is likely the attitude that will prevail leading to bad relations with EV owners. (Reisender on the other hand has indicated, he discusses with the owner and limits his use to not be one of the "entitled" EV owners).

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/22 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Lwiddis wrote:

But are you entitled?

A short burst at 30amps to kick over the air/con compressor, sure.
A steady draw at 30amps for hours, I suspect the owner may not agree when the electric bill comes due or when they get complaints about the park having power outages.

Now, it may be that the owner needs to update their rules to clarify what is and is not allowed (and I've seen owners put out similar rules for things like outdoor fridges) but this is far outside the expected usage for a 30amp site. A stray EV charges once a month, probably never makes it onto their radar. This doesn't imply it's fair to abuse the system just that the owner may not be aware of the issue.

Unfortunately, as we move beyond early adopters, this is likely the attitude that will prevail leading to bad relations with EV owners. (Reisender on the other hand has indicated, he discusses with the owner and limits his use to not be one of the "entitled" EV owners).

Good morning Valhalla.

Keep in mind that the max the car can pull is 24 amps on a 30 amp site.

I do believe over a 12 hour period our car will draw more power than our trailer. But when our trailer is plugged in the fridge, hydronic heating and hot water are all running on electric and that definitely adds up. For us it comes down to a convenience decision. Use more propane and plug in the car or vice versa. It is convenient though to charge the car in the campground. But once the initial top up is done we typically only go thru 6 to 10 kWh in the car as we are touring the area. We stayed a week in a campground in Quebec and it was about that. So about a buck a day of power.

Just some context on real world use.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Our most used adapters when towing with an Electric Vehicle.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.