|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV registration in SD

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/22 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Getting away with something? 2 of my vehicles have hardly ever left the state they call home the rest are all registered at my PRIMARY residence where I pay taxes, vote, and spend the required time there each year (June 1) and is where I have my drivers license as required. The other states where my vehicles are registered don't require me to change my drivers license because I never spend enough time there. These are facts---getting away with something! I had an international license for several years, suppose you can fault that also. Ever drive a rental car?

As mentioned, the devil is in the details. I already indicated depending on the states, there may be exceptions if the vehicles are not used in your state of residence/domicile.

Since the OP hasn't indicated they have multiple houses across multiple states, the logical assumption until he indicates otherwise is his MH spends most of it's time in AZ, so he is unlikely to be able to take advantage of the same loophole.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CKNSLS

Northern Utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/22 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Getting away with something? 2 of my vehicles have hardly ever left the state they call home the rest are all registered at my PRIMARY residence where I pay taxes, vote, and spend the required time there each year (June 1) and is where I have my drivers license as required. The other states where my vehicles are registered don't require me to change my drivers license because I never spend enough time there. These are facts---getting away with something! I had an international license for several years, suppose you can fault that also. Ever drive a rental car?

The reality is you are "trying to get away with something". If you can afford the purchases to begin with-pay the associated taxes!

jjj

Lancaster,Ca.U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/22 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would check your states codes. I work for Coca Cola and all their trucks and trailers were registered in Illinois for many years then
one day they came with all new Calif. plates for all the vehicles. I think you have to be out of the state for a certain amount of time to do it.

2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/22 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don and Eileen wrote:

I just chatted with someone from the DOR. She said we can maintain our RV registration in SD, but not every county will allow it. The research continues.

There's NO problem keeping your RV registered in SD !
Chat with Americas Mailbox - ask lots of questions.

However - the REAL problem you may/will have is *IF* your DL is not
from AZ - you best have your ducks in a row when you explain it
to an LEO (in AZ).

Like the Mod said - some/most states want their revenue! Some LEOs could care less - some LEOs care A *LOT*. The guy or gal behind the badge may or may not "buy into" your program! "Sign here, tell it to the judge next month, have a nice day - and drive carefully!"

Good luck with "the plan" !!

~

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/22 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You run the risk of the Three State Trap. We were always told in the Military to keep DL and Reg in the same state, otherwise it could cause an issue if stopped in a third state with DL and Reg in different States.
Now with everything computerized maybe different as it was in the Sixties.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/22 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CKNSLS--I have no idea to what you are referring as I am not "trying" to get away with anything. My vehicles, drivers license, and insurance are all in compliance with the states where they are garaged and insured---I can not have more than one drivers license therefore it is at my primary residence....what I can afford has nothing to do with it and is none of your business really. You might try giving advice on something you actually know something about, like owning more than one home in more than one state.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV registration in SD
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.