RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Ford 6.7 with spun connecting rod bearing

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford 6.7 with spun connecting rod bearing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
PButler96

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/22 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cradz350 wrote:

The total repair according to Ford and the dealership is just shy of 25,000

Ridiculous......trim level/model? If it's an XL/XLT, maybe even a Lariat and you had a collision estimate of $25K it would be close to if not outright totaled.

I have a burn barrel in my yard.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/22 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should have a good case with 70% oil loss that should have been documented.

If you can't get any satisfaction repair the damage, button it up and trade it in.

"FISH" what YOU say???????????

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/22 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So confused....you make it sound in one post like it's fixed as you refer to paying in the past tense and then later refer to the estimated bill in the present tense as if it's not yet fixed.

Yes you probably got screwed first when it dumped it's oil and now the dealer has (I think? since your posts are confusing) you in the position of "It's all tore apart and you need to pay $25k to put it back together."

Our advice doesn't matter. If what I said above is actually true, only your lawyer's advice will matter.
You have the textbook stealership story, but on steroids.

Not that it helps now, but I have a theory about things that happen like what happened to you originally. If something under warranty "sort of" breaks, like losing oil, make sure it's broke really good before taking it in for warranty work. IE when it dumped the oil, I'd have continued driving it until it was good and locked up.
Bonus points for making it just far enough to be within walking distance of a dealership to save any argument or dickering over a big tow bill!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/22 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've heard of very few rod bearings going out on these engines. It does happen but it's rare.

Main bearings are a different story. The main bearing was not common for sure but I also would not call it rare either. The reason for the main bearing failure is the way they designed the early engines. The early engines are a tangless design which is the epidemy of stupidity.

They just relied on bearing crush to do the job. I heard the later engines went back to a tang for good reason.

In any event, good luck with this deal because it's not going to be cheap.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/22 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is what is known as a rip off. A private garage would have been the way to go. Didn't you get a written estimate first? Does DL have any local or state consumer protection? $25,000, give me a break

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/22 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are ripping you off big time.
I hope you got a written estimate before you OKed the work. If so contact the state AG, by letter.
They have you over a barrel for sure.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/22 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A buddy had to have his EGR cooler (and some other items) replaced on his 2008 6.0L PowerStroke. The bill was over $10,000 !

Cradz350

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/22 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The vehicle is an XLT, the dealer said they needed to evaluate the vehicle and would request help from Ford based on my purchase history to show loyalty and maintenance history. Both checked out well enough to get Ford assistance. The Ford rep asked the dealer during a 4 way call with me to present the 35 percent number which I accepted. Then they changed their mind.. or they (Ford) realized the dealer was doubling the price of the engine, turbo etc.

I have written the AG without response...I think any case would hinge on bait and switch laws. I'm thinking consumer protection agency too. Bad situation and of course the truck has new tires. I love the truck, but this has really made me question future Ford's.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/22 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

You should have a good case with 70% oil loss that should have been documented.

If you can't get any satisfaction repair the damage, button it up and trade it in.

"FISH" what YOU say???????????

Don't know... but loosing a bunch of oil could starve the bearings of oil while driving. What doesn't make sense is the vacuum pump leaked 70% or 9 quarts of oil and the OP didn't notice it?

* This post was edited 08/12/22 04:51pm by FishOnOne *

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"250k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/22 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have spun rod bearing, replace the two rods and replace the crank no need to replace the engine, other than current Auto Techs don't know how to do anything other that read the codes and follow instructions on with to replace.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford 6.7 with spun connecting rod bearing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.